‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XXII

Watching my beautiful fiancée frolic on the beach I couldn't stop the smile that slowly spread on my face. She was beautiful, and I don't care if everyone decided suddenly that she was not worth my time and that she was the most ugly woman on the face of the planet. She was mine, and the bond between us could never be broken.

I'd brought her down to the beach, further along from the house so she would be out of the sight of my prying mother's eyes. She was still trying in vain to make me see that other girls were prettier and much more worth my time. You would not believe how many times she's sent me on 'errands' that ended up at a possible girl's house.

It was, for lack of better words, doing my head in.

She was just happy, simple as. And if she was happy, I was more than happy.

Sensing movement that was not Sarah, my head turned instantly, wary of the intruder. It's my job to be protective, and as the girl currently sitting in the sand and drawing pictures was to be the bearer of my children, I had to protect her.

But alas, it was only Brian. We hadn't gone to see Kirsty's parents or to see her leave. I'd thought it best to just leave Brian to that.

Watching him make his way up, he slumped into the sandbank next to me, and sighed heavily looking out at the sea. He was silent for a moment, taking in the sights and smiling slightly at Sarah, before turning to me.

"She's so childlike," He said with a bemused chuckle. I laughed and nodded my head, turning my gaze back to watch her.

"Yeah she is but she's never really seen this stuff before she came here has she? So she's allowed to be amused. She's got such a, childlike quality sometimes that I love about her. She always makes me feel younger than I already am you know?" He nodded silently.

"Well I suppose that's good right? It'll always keep your relationship fresh and invigorating," He mumbled, and I nodded alongside him, before noticing his awkward movements, and a frown tipped my forehead.

"What's wrong Brian? You're all wrong, and don't tell me you're not. I of all people can tell that you are," I said sternly, my voice thick with authority. Wolves always have alphas and dominants in the pack, and even though Matt was our alpha and Jimmy our beta, both Brian and I were equally dominant. Johnny was the omega, meaning he was the bottom of the pack.

He opened his mouth and went to speak before closing it again and sighing harshly, glaring at his feet in front of him.

"Kirsty has left the house until we are to be wed. I cannot see her and I want to so bad. She's still in a mood with me and refused to stay with me. I don't know if I can handle not sleeping on her bed at night anymore. I'm too addicted to it," He said, all in one breath.

"You sleep on her bed? Wait I think I may have already known that somehow," He chuckled and looked at me, an eyebrow raised.

"You do not?" His question was obvious. I had resisted temptation to sleep alongside my soulmate, to be able to smell her very scent every night and be in her calming company?

"Only once, when she asked me to. With my mother it's almost like signing my own death warrant if I am to be honest," I rolled my eyes at this and Brian gave out a bark of a laugh, nodding his head agreeing with me.

"What did you do to annoy Kirsty?" I asked, my curiosity overtaking me. So shoot me, I'm a wolf. Curiosity doesn't only kill cats, trust me.

He bit his lip, and I could tell he was pondering whether or not he should actually tell me what he had done so wrong that Kirsty had become so annoyed and upset at him, as to ignore his wishes. That was something I expected of my bambina, not Kirsty.

"She asked me where I keep going, and kept going on about it. I told her it was not a woman's place to ask of a man's business-" He paused, looking at me hesitantly before carrying on "-I got really mean and vicious, and said some things I really shouldn't. I basically belittled her as a woman and put her down. I felt so bad afterwards,"

I was too shocked, my face must have showed this as my jaw was dropped and my eyes were wide. He'd done what?

"You did what?" I asked, the shock at what Brian had just told me was, well I don't even know how to describe it really. I couldn't believe he'd do something like that!

"Brian all she did was ask, you didn't have to be nasty or anything. I tell Sarah, it's not exactly as if it's top secret information now is it? And anyway, Sarah would just tell Kirsty, you know that! You've probably betrayed her trust and now hurt her all over! I can't believe you Brian!" I was flabbergasted, I didn't want to think or do.

Brian, my best friend whom I thought appreciated women just as much as I did, had done that to a woman? No less his soulmate, who in a week he is to marry.

"You've got a lot of grovelling to do," I sneered, and Brian scowled lowly at me.

"I'm sorry I don't lead a perfect little life like you and your little bambina there," He spat venomously, and I glared at him.

"Don't go there Brian, we've been through a hell of a lot more than you two have, you two have got to learn respect and obviously you're learning it the hard way," I stated. His face was reminiscent of thunder.

"Well I'm sorry Zachary. I'm sorry I haven't nearly died just so that Kirsty and I can see that we are truly meant to be together throughout everything no matter what. I'm sorry I don't have an overbearing bitch of a mother who never knows when to shut the hell up. And most importantly, I'm sorry my fiancée and soulmate has class and a real name to herself and therefore finds it harder to reciprocate than you and Sarah. Obviously Sarah's time as the scum of London has meant she falls in love more easily, not everyone can have it your way Zack, and to be honest, I'd much rather have my well spoken Kirsty than your Sarah any day. I may have said some harsh things, but at least she's got a reality of where the hell her place is now. If you don't do it to Sarah, she'll learn to expect she is your equal, when you know that she sure as hell isn't," He hissed and I was shocked.

He'd just insulted me, my mother and most importantly, my soulmate.

"I think you should leave Brian," I stated calmly, my anger bubbling underneath my skin. I was positive he could smell the sheer hatred I felt towards him right now as I started out at my supposed scum fiancée.

"I'm sorry Zack, I didn't mean-" I cut him off with a glare.

"I don't care. Congratulations on pissing off the two people who mean the most to you. Now if you would please, just fuck off and get the hell off my property before you slander my family anymore," I hissed, the growl ripping through my chest and up my throat with my end words.

He was silent as he got up and walked away, and I looked back towards Sarah.

Thank god she had not heard that.