‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XXIV

“Miss, is your hair ready?” Came from the door behind me. I turned round on the bed, wearing only a nightgown before calling out. The maid came inside quietly, and smiled softly at me. She came over to the bed, a basket full of all what she needed was in her arms, whilst an expensive looking box was in her hands.

“This is from Master Baker miss,” She said softly, placing it onto my lap. I smiled and nodded, letting the maid climb up behind me and begin to work on my hair. She pulled the comb she had in her hands through it so softly, pulling out all the knots.

Zack had made me have it cut again yesterday; it was just below my shoulders and wavy as usual. I love it though, as did Zack. He really did make my world.

Opening the box up slowly, I gasped as I held up the dress that was inside. It was a cream and gold colour, the bit in-between the laces of the corset was decorated with light flowers. It was beautiful, and obviously very expensive.

“That is a beautiful dress Miss,” I heard the maid behind say softly her voice obvious with jealousy.

“It is, I bet it would look amazing on,” I whispered softly. She murmured her agreement and carried on with my hair, twirling pieces up onto my head and clipping it all together with tiny clips. She brushed out my fringe before pulling it up and placing a ribbon along the top, letting my fringe puff out slightly.

Two tendrils of hair fell down, curling as they went. She smiled at this.

“You are very pretty Miss, it is easy to see why Mr Baker has fallen for you,” She said, pulling me up and tugging off my nightgown. I had learnt to not bother with modesty in a house of riches by now. Getting dressed on my own was a thing of the past.

She held out the dress and I stepped into it gracefully, letting her tug it up over my slim hips and waistline before allowing me to put my arms through the holes that were available for me. Standing in front of the mirror, I let her tug it as tightly as she possibly could, accentuating my waist line and causing my breasts to look much larger.

She chuckled at this before moving away to admire her handy work.

“Very nice, Mr Baker has a good eye for fashion it would seem,” I nodded, sitting back onto the bed I could let her make my face. This was another thing I was unaccustomed to until I got here. Having this stuff all over my face and eyelids, and then colour onto my lips.

“You know Miss, you have what I have always wanted. I was born in this very house, born to serve the Baker’s. I will serve you and Mr Baker, and your children. But I have always dreamt about being rich. What it would be like to be pampered like this, to have a man as handsome and kind as Mr Baker on my arm,

“I had my eye on Mr Baker for a while you know. All the maids here have at one point. Even though you are both older than me, I’ve seen him grow from gangly youth to the magnificent adolescent he is now. You are lucky Miss,” She whispered softly, finishing off my face.

I was stunned; I didn’t really know what to say. My first instinct was fierce jealousy and protectiveness. Zack was mine, and no one else was allowed him ever.

But at the same time sorrow and sympathy for the poor girl flooded through me. She couldn’t be more than 16, and I felt sorry for her because I could have been in her situation. Ironically though, I’d much rather be a slave in California than in London.

“What’s your name?” I asked softly. She looked up at me, her eyes bright.

“Indigo,” She whispered quietly. I smiled at her and lifted her chin up. She stared straight at me; her eyes were a very pretty shade of blue. She may just be my new favourite maid. I may ask Zack if I can have her permanently.

“I’ve never had riches Indigo. Never, the most I had was selling my dogs litter of puppies for more than we used to make in a month. I was a slum girl; someone no one wanted and thought was worthless. And then Zack found me, and I’m here. Trust me sweetheart, dreams can come true. Look where I’ve come from, to where I am now,” I said.

Her eyes widened at this.

She slipped on my shoes and helped me down the hallway to the stairs, where Zack was waiting at the bottom. He was wearing a smart suit, that made him look rather dashing. His grin broadened tenfold when he saw the dress on me.

“You look beautiful mi bambina,” He whispered, taking my hand and pulling me close to him. Nuzzling his face into my hair, I felt him inhale deeply and knew he was taking in my scent.

Looking at Indigo as I turned round, Zack watched me curiously, our hands entwined.

“Zack, this is Indigo. I want her to be my maid permanently please,” I said confidently. Zack’s eyebrow rose as he smiled.

“Ok then, hello Indigo. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” He bowed courteously and smiled at her. She blushed violently and lowered her head as she curtseyed.

“Now we must be off, we have a play to catch in Los Angeles. It is going to take us a good two hours to get there, hence why I’ve called for you to get ready so early in the day bambina. We want to make good time,” He grinned.

My stomach leapt.

A play? I’ve heard them being played in the Globe at London but have never seen one. I never got the chance to. I was excited and Zack could see this as he bade farewell to Indigo and pulled me out the door.

Two of his finest chestnut horses were attached to the carriage, which he helped me up into and closed the door behind us. The scenery began to change as the horses hooves against the ground were heard and the carts wheels over the rocks.

I watched the sea to our left go by slowly, the air fresh and clean and the sky blue and bright. This is how life should be lived.

Turning to look at Zack who was watching me with interest, he smiled softly and I beamed at him, leaning over to press my lips against his.

He chuckled and kissed me back, pulling me closer to his body, being careful of my hair and face. His warmth was comforting as I sat next to him, his hand entwined with mine and the beautiful Californian scenery passing us by.

How did I ever get this lucky?