‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XXV

The small sofa that Brian was on creaked as he turned over once more, almost falling off it completely like he had done a few nights on the trot. He was much too long for it so I was not surprised that it made him look huge and gangly.

But for all that it was very annoying and unlike him, I did not always sleep so deeply. Being merely a human girl, I could be woken much easier by the tiniest things. These things being him on that damn chaise lounge.

On any normal day I would be awake by now but our engagement party was tonight and I had been instructed to sleep in for as long as I possibly could so that I would not get tired early and have to leave.

Well, sleep would be wonderful if I could get any of the damn stuff!

I rolled over once more, so that this time I was facing the dress doll upon which my dress for the party was hung. It was truly beautiful, and specially commissioned by Brian's mother herself. A pale blue silk satin and cream taffeta, with pearls and crystals, tulle on the cuffs of the sleeves, and a bow tied at the back, beneath the row of pearl buttons, with matching cream silk gloves.

Brian had never seen me wear it yet, Mrs Haner had kept it all under lock and key from him as if it were my wedding dress. I suppose now wasn't spoiling it too much, it was just the dress, it wasn't me wearing the dress. He still had to find out what that would look like.

He let out a snore, almost waking himself up but he settled back down. I could have screamed at the top of my lungs; I refrained, instead opting for hiding my head beneath my pillows and holding it down firmly over my head.

I could still hear him. He was growling in his sleep now, and I had to peek out from under my pillow to see if he was in his wolf form and on the defensive, or whether he was just dreaming.

He was still a human man, and he was still asleep. And he was still snoring and growling.

Throwing the covers off me, I grabbed one of the pillows and slid from the bed, before stomping across the room and hitting him with it as hard as I could. These pillows were actually rather heavy and I had to whack him with it using two hands.

Needless to say it had the required affect anyway and he woke with a start, rolling onto the floor, growling. Sitting back on his haunches his wild eyes finally found me where I stood with the pillow at my feet and my arms folded.

"Did you wake me up?" He asked, still on the floor watching me.

"Yes." I pursed my lips. "You were snoring and I couldn't sleep."

"Well maybe if you would let me sleep on the bed rather than on something far too small for me, I wouldn't snore!" He whined as he climbed to his feet and stretched his body as if to prove the point sleeping on it had made his body all stiff.

I turned to head back to the bed and climbed up.

"Maybe if you weren't such an asshole I would let you."

I placed the pillow where I wanted it, before laying back down with the covers pulled up over me. Ulterior motive to hitting him with the pillow is that it now had his musky scent on it, and as I lay there with my back to him I smiled.

I listened quietly as he huffed to himself, but got back on it anyway. He tossed and turned, which was worse than the snoring. After what I thought maybe ten minutes of us both trying to sleep I sat up with a sigh and looked at him.

Climbing out of bed again, I grabbed the eider down and a pillow and took it across the room to him. Lifting his head, I put the pillow beneath it and the put the blanket over him and returned back to the bed.

He didn't say anything and neither did I. The both of us merely got comfy and tired to go back to sleep. He didn't toss and turn so much this time, and I had quite thought we had cracked this problem and that I would be able to catch some sleep.

And then he began to growl again.

I let out a frustrated groan-come-scream and sat up, tempted to throw something at him. Maybe I should just give up now and get out of bed, everyone would just have to put up with me leaving the party early.

For a moment Brian was still, then he turned on his back and peeled open an eyelid. I sighed, and pointed at the end of the bed. "You sleep there, got it?"

Brian didn't need telling twice and soon he was climbing up with ease in his wolf form. He'd fit better on the foot of the bed like that, since I wouldn't have him sleep beside me right now.

He slept soundlessly, and finally so did I. But by the time he was shaking me awake to inform me he had to go now because Sarah was here and I would have to get ready, it felt like I had barely slept at all.