‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XXVI

Taking a hold of Zack’s hand as he helped me to exit the carriage, my heart was beating wildly. This was Kirsty’s engagement party, it had finally come around and we were all here. Meaning me, Zack, the couple in question of course, the guys, Zack’s parents and many other high society people who had come here just for Kirsty and Brian.

Just for them, an official announcement of engagement.

I’d come round earlier to help out with her, but had to leave to make the entrance with my fiancée and his family, leaving Kirsty alone with just Brian’s family and so forth.

Biting my lip, I eyed Zack out of the corner of my eye, my own heart sinking in slight disappointment. Unlike Kirsty, no one knew who I was. I suppose that could be a good thing though, no annoying questions or anything.

“Come on bambina, time waits for no man,” Nodding slightly, I slipped my hand into his arm and let him lead me into the house. His parents had walked on ahead, much to my relief.

His mom’s hatred war on me was slowly getting worse. Eventually I think I’ll be wishing death upon her, and I wish death upon no one. No one deserves that ill-fated fortune, but she’s currently finding herself teetering on the dangerous edge of that so far blank list of mine.

Walking into the ballroom, I almost immediately shrank into Zack’s side, his sometimes-unbearable warmth generating my much-needed comfort right now. He kept me close to him as we sought out our friends, who as we expected were at the table filled with food.

They each had a glass of fine champagne in their hands, and Zack handed one to me too. Sniffing it gingerly, I noted it smelt very unlike normal alcohol. Zack chuckled and inclined for me to take a drink, which I did and nearly coughed up from the effervescence that bubbled up my nose.

“Too fine for you just now, give it time,” Zack smiled at me, before turning to his friends and asking where Brian was.

“He’s about to make his entrance with the dearest Kirsty,” Jimmy grinned, literally throwing another glass of champagne down his throat. He was going to be plastered by the time we finished I could bet on that. And werewolves apparently had a high tolerance for alcohol.

“Ahh ok,” Zack nodded, bringing me closer to him and kissing the top of my forehead gently. A glass was being tapped rather loudly from the front of the room where the doors were, and I noted Brian’s father stood there looking rather proud.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you all to my house tonight to celebrate the engagement of my son finally. I want you all to meet my son’s fiancée, Lady Kirsty Victoria Grace de Farrars of London,” The doors opened then and Brian and Kirsty walked through, arm in arm.

The smiled at everyone as a polite round of applause ran through the crowd, but it was obvious to anyone that there was tension between them both. The smiles seemed a little too fake, the body language a little too stiff.

They went round and gave their niceties, thanking all their guests and accepting the many congratulations that were given to them. We watched them quietly, waiting till they finally finished and could come over to us and talk.

After what seemed an age, they were able to venture over to us and both sighed heavily, looking very tired after the half an hour of greeting all their guests.

“Lots of people huh?” I teased Kirsty, nudging her slightly with my elbow. She looked beautiful in her dress, a real classy lady who was most deserving of Brian. Turning to me, she let out a half smile and sighed deeply.

“What’s up eh? Don’t let him get you down,” I chuckled, gesturing towards Brian who was currently deep in conversation with the guys. She smiled and shrugged slightly.

“Yeah well, he annoyed me sometimes,” I laughed out at this, but she made me feel sad. I didn’t want her to be upset with Brian, it wasn’t right. People who are supposed to be getting married are supposed to be happy with each other, not angry like this.

“You look very nice,” I grinned, looking her up and down. She smiled and shrugged once more, not really caring. The dress was beautiful on her, I couldn’t help but admire it, but my glance slowly fell to my own. I didn’t look half as good as she did. I couldn’t help my insecurities, they’d increased since Zack’s mother had taken a dislike.

I would have to be blind not to notice the admiring glances of his mother at Kirsty, and I knew that right now, she would kill to have Kirsty instead of me. She’d probably be happy to kill me to get that if Zack wasn’t in the way.

I put up the front of being ok, but it hurt all the same.

“Zachary dearest, come with me, there is someone who I would like you to meet,” Speak of the devil and he shall arise. Zack’s mother had appeared, clamping her hand on her sons arm and starting to drag him to wherever she wanted him to be. He grabbed my hand almost instantly and dragged me along with them.

Shooting a sorry glance at Kirsty, I let myself be taken.

Stopping in front of a very important looking man, Zack smiled slightly at him, as did I. Only he didn’t look at me. He looked to be in his late 30’s-early 40’s, and it was obvious he had some severe money.

“This is Mr Phillip Montbatton, he owns three gold mines around here. Very big into the business side of things. Phillip, this is my son Zachary Baker, he will be inheriting everything we own soon. We’re very excited for him to be taking over everything we have,” She paused, her eyes flickering over me before completely blanking me.

I felt Zack tense up slightly as he went to interrupt his mother and introduce me, but she instantly started talking again.

“So Phillip, how are you enjoying this party?” She asked, a very fake and gracious smile plastered on her face. The man looked from Zack to his mum and smiled instantly, looking around him and lifting his glass of champagne to give emphasis to his answer.

“Very lavish isn’t it? The Haner’s really do know how to throw a party. And that girl, Kirsty is it? She’s very pretty, a fine catch for the young Master Haner indeed,” Zack’s mother nodded eagerly.

“Oh she is, she’s so beautiful and well spoken. Comes from a really nice family in London too. Old money I think as well, fine class and a title to boot. What more could anyone want for their son?” I felt the intended stab at me, and it hurt deeply.

Zack made to interrupt again, but Phillip interrupted.

“So Zachary, I hear you made the trip to London didn’t you? Just a short while back? Brought Kirsty back with you and your friends? How on earth did you all manage to find someone like that?”

Zack began to respond.

“Well you see it wasn’t just Kirsty that we-,” His mum started laughing loudly.

“Oh he went on some business trip, you know, getting a head start already. I can’t imagine the amount of beautiful girls he must have met over there. It’s a shame though that Brian managed to snag one of the best. I would love to have her as a daughter in law,” She gushed wildly, a dreamy look on her face.

I averted my eyes to the ground in a desperate attempt to not cry. I wouldn’t cry in front of her, I just wouldn’t. I won’t stoop that low.

“Oh yes, anyone would be most deserving to have her as a daughter in law. She will produce beautiful children it will be assured,” I heard Phillip say. It was almost as if I was not present. I knew Zack kept trying to interrupt but his attempts were in vain.

“The next generation of Haner children will indeed be beautiful, smart and of a standard of class we can all be proud of. I hope it is not too late for my son to be able to produce the same, I want grandchildren I can be proud of,”

And not slum scum that my son’s current fiancée will produce.

The unheard ending was evident, and I finally let go of Zack’s hand.

“I’m just going to get some air Zack, I’m very warm in here,” I whispered softly to him, trying desperately not to cry. He protested, but I pulled away and disappeared through the crowd and out the large window doors to the patio outside.

Sitting on one of the many stone benches, I let the first few tears streak down my face.

Will I ever feel like I amount to something real in this world?

When will I stop feeling worthless?