‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter VI

Watching Zacky intently, a frown touched my face as I noted him twitch again. He'd been doing it for about 6 days now, and it was slowly getting worse. I was worried about him to be honest. In fact, it was so bad now that some of his twitches were more like jerks. What was wrong with him?

Reaching out, I touched his shoulder gently, biting my lip and moving closer to him, looping my arm through his. He looked down and smiled softly at me. He'd been so loving lately, I knew his mother hated me, and he tried his hardest to keep me away from her, and keep me happy. He didn't need to bother, just being with him made me happy.

"What's wrong?" He asked me quietly, looking out at the darkening sky. We'd asked a maid to set up a picnic for us on the beach, yet another way of Zack making me seem invisible to his mum. He was adorable.

"Why do you keep twitching? You don't notice it, but for almost a week now you've been doing it. And it's getting really bad now, like, jerking almost," As if to prove my point his leg jerked violently, and Zack finally looked down, noticing it. Biting his lip, he sighed and looked at me.

"Ok, you know that stupid thing about werewolves only turning on the full moon? Yeah well the only being able to turn on the full moon isn't true. But having to turn, that is. Wolves are commanded by the lunar cycle, before you, the week before the moon rose to its fullest, we'd spend mostly in our wolf forms. The need to be a wolf is overbearing, and on the full moon, if I try and stop it, I won't be able to resist and I'll turn against my will, effectively terminating my human conscious for a day and giving over to wolf instinct alone,"

I took this information in. So werewolves really did revolve around the moon.

"So why not just change?" I asked him softly. He looked at me and smiled.

"Because I don't want to spend too long without you. I'm caging my wolf and not letting it come out to play, and it's getting angrier, I can feel it. But if I turn, I won't be able to stay around you. Just being right here next to you is overwhelming. You really have no idea the effect you have on me. And so for you to be here when I'm in wolf during this week, not a good idea," He mumbled.

"Why would you kill me?" I said hesitantly. He bit his lip again before looking at me.

"Erm, a wolf has priorities in life. By wolf I mean one of us. Firstly, it's to find their soulmate. This is rare though, so even though it is a priority, it usually never happens. Secondly, it's to protect. We protect humans and family. Thirdly, is a little more animalistic as you would expect. To put it crudely, is to er, initiate in sexual activities. You have to understand, I'm half wolf, I have an animalistic instinct to, mate per se. Its unlikely said receiver would get pregnant, it's hard to conceive when you're a wolf,"

My eyebrows rose, but I understood. It was typical of animals, and so no doubt this instinct would have been passed on to the werewolves.

"We call this week the moon heat ok? It kinda feels like fire in your veins, getting hotter as the need increases. During this week, we seek out love more than normal, most wolves try to bed as many women as possible to find their soulmate. We also get more protective, hence why you haven't been around my mother very much. And the third, well you know. But I can't now. I am saying that I have been with other women, but wolves are immune to human diseases. And I've vowed myself to you, so even though my body and wolf want sex, they won't allow it until we're married. The only problem is, during the full moon, if you're with me, I won't be able to control myself. I wouldn't be able to do anything with you as I'd in wolf form, so the frustration of it would mean I'd hurt you. Badly. I can't let you be near me if you're life is at stake,"

My eyes widened. He could kill me?

"I won't be near you during the full moon. Brian is going to send Kirsty here for that day and night, and we are going to go further south, perhaps to the bottom of Costa Mesa. You'll be safe here. My father will look after you," I frowned at this.

"But I thought he was a werewolf too?" I asked softly. He smiled at me.

"He is. But remember when I said if I stayed in one form for too long I'd stay that way? After I took my first shift, he showed me the ropes, and then he never turned again. But if danger comes, he can still call upon his inner wolf. You'll be safe, I promise. I'll only be gone one day," He said, smiling at me and kissing me softly.

"The reason I twitch by the way is the moon heat. It's almost like an addiction I suppose, and I'm denying myself, so it's getting worse," He said with an impish grin. I rolled my eyes and pointed to the beach.

"Well can't you shift quickly now and hopefully tone it down a little?" He laughed and nodded, leaning forward and kissing me again, only this time, he moved his hand to the back of my neck and held me in place, his tongue sliding into my mouth and dominating my own. Something happened then, it felt strange. White hot and exhilarating. It caused me to wriggle as I sat there, a need almost inhuman ran through me.

Zack pulled away and smirked mischievously at me.

"Did you feel that?" He asked, and I nodded in response, still dazed slightly. He chuckled and pecked my lips.

"That's just a sliver of what I'm feeling right now," He grinned, before getting up and shifting quickly, bounding down the beach and stretching his muscles. I know he was bred for this and could handle it perfectly well, but I had to ask.

God how could he cope with that?
♠ ♠ ♠
^_^