‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter VIII

"You'll be fine ok? Trust me, everything will be fine whilst we're gone. No one is gonna get you, and just, stay out of my mom's way. Then she has no reason to get on at you or anything," Zack murmured to me quietly. We were currently outside his house, five horses stood in front of us, three currently mounted.

Zack's mount, a bright grey, almost white, with a beautiful black mane and tail was waiting quietly next to Matt's as he held it's reins, holding it in place. The three were conversing quietly between themselves, and Brian and Kirsty were saying goodbye off to the side.

"I know but, I don't want you to go," I mumbled whilst looking down. I heard Zack chuckle quietly before pulling me to him tightly and kissing the top of my head. It was silent for a moment, and Zack sighed out, his breath blowing my hair.

"I know, I don't want to leave you either. I mean just, god just the thought of it is making my stomach coil in panic. But, we'll get through it right? It's only a day, we'll be fine," He whispered into my ear, kissing my temple once before bringing my head up to meet his. His eyes were concerned and full of love.

"I love you," He said quietly before leaning in and meeting my lips. He pulled away and gave me a quick smile, moving away and only letting go of my hand when he had to. Taking the reins from Matt, he hoisted himself up onto his horse and I smiled at how good he looked.

The horse snorted and spun around slightly, and I watched as Brian moved to his own horse, a bright light chestnut. Kirsty came and stood next to me as they all turned and urged their horses into a canter, evidently eager to get to Costa Mesa and release the inner wolf.

Kirsty sighed and looked at me as the disappeared from view, and evidently was asking me with her eyes what we should do now. Shrugging, we both laughed and moved inside, instantly going up the large stairs to my bedroom. Upon entering, I flopped onto the bed and closed my eyes, trying hard to ignore the uneasy feeling in my stomach.

Having Zack not here wasn't right. It just wasn't.

"The Baker's are rather flashy aren't they? Zack doesn't seem like them at all," Kirsty thought out loud to herself causing me to chuckle. I looked up at her and smiled, nodding in response to her thought out question.

"Yes, Zack's nothing like them. Just, not like them at all. They like to flaunt their money anywhere and everywhere. Zack's just-Zack's content with what he has. I don't think he needs flash," I said, getting up at sitting at he window, looking out at the beautiful sea.

"It's funny to think how much our lives have changed right? I mean, I've gone from never having lived outside of a two bed roomed house to, living here. In this, mansion. There is so much room here it's so unreal to me. I almost don't think it's real. Someone like me doesn’t have these things happen to them," I said softly, looking over at Kirsty where she sat on the bed.

A soft smile was on her face as she shrugged.

"You deserve it. I know I say you two are far too physical for my liking, but you and him are so right for each other. You're opposites and yet you're exactly the same. You're submissive, he's dominant. You're argumentative and whilst quite often so is he, he's also more diplomatic than you. You're both stubborn, yet both so docile. It's almost like you really were made for each other, it's quite amazing," She said, causing my heart to swell with pride.

"Well, I know that I love him more than I've ever loved anything. He makes me feel like no one has ever made me feel before. Right now, god, I feel so. I feel like part of me is missing because he isn't here," She laughed softly and nodded, agreeing with me.

"Well it's only for a day right? And it's nothing important, or at least I don't think," Kirsty said, once again she mainly seemed to be talking to herself but I ignored that and nodded to myself, taking a leaf from Kirsty's book.

"I wish they didn't have to go, stupid werewolf circle," I mumbled to myself. Kirsty's eyes flickered to me as she looked at me strangely.

"What?" She said quietly. I of course, like an idiot, thought she already knew and just hadn't heard me. Looking back out over the sea I let a breath escape my body.

"That whole, the need to change at the full moon thing otherwise they go crazy and go round killing people. I thought Brian told you?" I asked her. She coughed and covered up her mistake, smiling brightly at me.

"Oh yeh he did, they went to Costa Mesa right?" She asked. I nodded in reply. "I just forgot what he told me, refresh my memory," She smiled brightly at me. Of course alarm bells weren't ringing in my mind.

"Once a month they have to change into the wolf on the full moon otherwise they lose themselves to their inner wolf and go crazy. So they went to keep us protected, as they didn't want to hurt us. I wish they didn't have to though," Kirsty was silent and I looked at her, her face was stone blank and ice hit my stomach as realisation set in.

"Brian didn't tell you right?" I mumbled, she shook her head. Groaning I hit my head.

"Stupid me! Why didn't I realise?" She laughed softly and smiled at me.

"Don't tell him I know, lets see how long he keeps the lie up for. Why did he not tell me when Zack told you?" Biting my lip, I wondered how to word it properly.

"Don't take this offensively but Zack almost died on me in our opinion now, if something needs to be told, you tell the other. We nearly lost each other and if something as simple as telling each other everything is gonna help we will. Brian was evidently trying to protect you in a different way," I said, moving over and sitting next to her.

She sighed deeply and nodded, looking up and smiling at me.

"Well, shall we go to the beach then as we have nothing else to do?" I laughed softly and nodded to her, both of us getting up and heading out of the room.

"They bought some new horses too, they should be in the pasture just a few minutes away from the house, we should go see them," I said and Kirsty agreed happily. The dynamic duo were back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shooob