Serena

Just a Little Intro x01x

My name is Serena Amber Poseidon. I am half witch, one fourth Siren, and one fourth mermaid. My father left me and mom when I was about 3. I only have a blurred picture in my mind. Mom won’t even talk about him any more.

My grandpa was a merman. My grandma was a Siren. I'm sure most people think they are just fairy tales or are the same thing as a mermaid, but they honestly do exist. Actually, I was named after my grandma. I don’t know the specifics but they really are beautiful women who sing sailors to their doom.

My mom said that her dad was lured to her, Serena, by her voice. But as I mentioned above grandpa was a merman. He was swimming so he obviously couldn’t crash into rocks. Well technically he could, but he didn’t. He met my grandma, they fell in love, and, after a while, my mom came into the picture.

My mom was named by my grandpa. He named her Amber for her more reddish than blonde hair. (My middle name is Amber after my mom.) My grandma had blonde hair like almost all Sirens, I think it was something about the sun.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Sirens can all change their appearance. They almost always chose blonde hair and blue eyes (blue because of the ocean I guess). My mom didn’t get the trait to change their appearance because she was only half siren. She got strawberry blonde hair and brown eyes because that’s the kind of hair my grandma had at the time of my mom’s birth. She got grandpa’s big brown eyes. Since she was part Siren she got the gifts of extreme beauty, a wonderful voice, and the ability to teleport anywhere.

Unlike regular Sirens though she didn’t have the ability to make a man mad over her voice and do whatever she wanted him to. That’s a good thing though. That meant she could sing in public without starting wars. She also got the legs of a Siren instead of a tail of a Mermaid. She basically looks like an extremely pretty human.

Out of the mermaid traits she got the ability to swim very well with increased breathing, the ability to speak any language she heard, and the ability to control little amounts of water to do what she wanted. She couldn't do anything huge like control the tides or anything like that! That is committing suicide!

The merpeople that my grandpa (My last name is Poseidon because it was his last name, why do I have his last name instead of my own fathers, I don’t know…) came from weren’t like the ones from Hogwarts or even Beauxbatons. There were three types of merpeople: the merpeople of the ocean, rivers, and lakes. The lake merpeople are the merpeople in the Hogwarts lakes as well as various parts of the world. Of the river merpeople, only one tribe remains. We know they are still existent because we sometimes hear tales of mermaid sightings in rivers from Muggles. Well, Muggles aren’t all ignorant. If you’ve noticed though, Muggles always think that mermaids live in deep lagoons or under waterfalls. They seldom think about the ocean.

Well, except that Disney movie about "Ariel." What is that about? The triton is a scepter, not a king. And as far as I know there has not been a half witch, half octopus for… actually, scratch that. There has never been a half witch, half octopus. Now I love Disney movies, but Walt dear, there’s not an ounce of fact in that movie.

Now anyways as I was saying. Back when all three types were existent, Ocean Merpeople ruled water, Lake Merpeople ruled brute strength, and River Merpeople ruled the earth. My grandpa was of the Ocean Tribe. While the River and Lake Merpeople broke into separate tribes, the Ocean remained one. The Ocean Tribe was always considered the strongest because of the fact that they remained one unit. They also could survive salt water whereas the River and Lake Merpeople couldn’t. They could control the great mass of liquid called water. They inherited the triton from the “Ruler”. Only the leader of the ocean tribe was allowed it. The Ocean tribe was actually pretty nice, unless you were their enemies.

Obviously Voldemort heard of them. He came and destroyed them. Now you have to remember that they did not have the shelter of Hogwarts. Even if they were the strongest they still couldn’t beat wizardry. They couldn’t use Avada Kedavra. I mean how much harm was the entire ocean going to do against a green light? Evidently it didn’t do anything. The only reason my grandfather survived the ambush was because he was visiting the Sirens and proposing to my grandma.

The Sirens all lived on an Island surrounded by mist and haze so deep into the ocean no one could find it without the voices of the Sirens guiding them. Serena had gotten my great grandmother’s permission to marry my grandpa. All my great aunts were getting ready to crash yet another ship when my grandpa and grandma left back for the merpeople to report the good news. They swam for the merpeople, her riding on a little boat that he was pulling, only to find that the empire was in ruins and all they could find was bodies.

All my grandpa could think of was Voldemort. Of course with Voldemort knowing about the powers of the Ocean tribe he had tried to persuade them to join him. His brother had already warned him of Voldemort and so he refused countless times. Voldemort had warned that he would kill the Merpeople Empire, but my grandfather just scoffed. How could this mere wizard kill the entire empire?

He turned on tail with his new, now crying, bride. They left to tell the Sirens what had happened. They found the once singing island eerily silent. As the mist parted for the young Siren they found the same snake and skull symbol they had found over the Merpeople Empire, over the whole island. They dreaded what they would find. It was the same havoc that was in the Merpeople Empire. Everything was destroyed. They both knew they had barely escaped deaths themselves.

My mom won’t tell me anymore than what I have just explained to you. I know for a fact though that my grandma gave my mom a book to explain all this. She transformed it to look like a boring book to all without Siren in them. All I know is that I got all of my mom’s characteristics plus my dad’s.

I can use magic as well as any wizard because he was part wizard (or was he all/ I don't know). I know of Harry Potter as well as Manorial (a savior of the Lake Merpeople in an American lake chain when they were faced with Voldemort). I’m not sure who my father is but I remember him being dark haired. Well actually I don’t but seeing as I am a brunette, I think he is. I also have my mom/grandpa’s big brown eyes. I also have a perfect figure from the Siren in me. I am a little under average in the height department but make up for it with my attitude.

I just moved to France from America. I love France so much! I have been here for about a week. I’m about to be in 4th year, this means I’m 14 going on 15. The French schools usually start about a year earlier than the rest of the world. I took French for one year during International Languages. My old school made us learn another language besides English. My mom and I both speak French fluently because of the Mermaid in us, so I didn't really need to, but it was fun.

We use English most of the time because we like the simplicity. We know about muggle devices as well as wizard ones. We both have a tendency to swim a lot so we always have a pool in our backyard.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just some background information that's crucial to understand the story. =)

ily,
alicia