The Da Vinci Term

If You Could See Me Now Pt.3

Gerard was walking through an entire field of pretty tiger lilies; the cold January wind was blowing gently, causing the silky petals to tickle the tips of his fingers as he pushed through the long strands of bright green grass. He had been circling around the edge of King Edward School field since the last two hours and even though the weather was hard and cold, the ground beneath his feet felt soft and bouncy. His body felt so light he almost seemed to be floating just above the surface of the spongy earth. He felt so… free. A feeling that was alien to him these days.

He held the black cotton handkerchief to his face and the familiar smell immediately struck him, an overwhelming grief knotting his stomach and pulling at his heart. Pins and needles ran up the back of his neck and a lump in his throat. Panic took over. Apart from the faint chirping sound of the doves, the field was quiet. He was alone.

“I will always love you,” he heard her voice coming out of nowhere.

“But long distance relationship just wont work…” She added before she fell into his strong arms. They kissed and she wiped the tears in his eyes.

“Goodbye, Gerard,” She said as he climbed into the cab. He held his breath and opened his eyes to the familiar view of the field.

“I will always love you, “ her voice seemed to echo across the greens.

A pool of tears began forming in his eyes and with a pounding heart, he reads the familiar handwriting and ran his fingers over the words knowing that the last person to have touched the page was her.

My darling Gerard,
I don’t know where you are or when exactly you are reading this. When I’m writing this, you’re still sleeping soundly on the bed, probably you’re too tired since you had just arrived from London this evening. I don’t know what are we doing together anymore since it’s all been said and done. You said we have to spend our last few days together… I’m scared the fact that in three days these will all be over. I’m gonna miss seeing you twitching your nose in your sleep, and hear the sound of your heart beats… I love you, Gerard, but like you said, the world has other plans for us.

You are strong and brave… Of course, now you’re a superstar. And have an elite boarding school to manage… I’m glad you’ve got all your dreams coming true. We shared some beautiful times together and you made my life. I have no regrets in being with you, but this is not anyone’s fault. It’s just a six year relationship that ended. But I am just a chapter in your life, there will be many more. Remember our wonderful memories, but please don’t be afraid to make some more.

Thank your for being my man for six years. I am eternally grateful.


Gerard broke down, sadness sweeping over him. Yet he felt relief at the same time, relief that he was now free of any commitment that he can lived through his life like the way he wanted without having to restrict his moves just because he was attached to someone.

Gerard closed his eyes and breathed in and out along with a gentle sighing. He felt calmer as his pulse rate slow down. He thought about how he used to lie by her side, and listen to the sound of her breathing. He felt relieved to have known her, to love her, and to be loved by her, even it was for only six years. He closed his eyes again and saw her face smiling down on him, assuring him that it was OK to let go.

“It just a six year relationship that ended…” He said to himself as he smiled, for the first time in a week. He turned back and saw the House Of Wolves building stood proudly at the end of the field.

He smiled and he felt the burden was just being lifted off his back.

House Master Way is back.