Status: Hiatus.

Faded Memories and Tarnished Relationships

Chapter One

She stared dejectedly at the old high school. It was once the source of some of her happiest and most colorful memories, but now it was just another building that had been closed down when Gotham City's rapidly increasing crime rate began to cause trouble. She walked along what used to be the driveway and entered the building.

Inside it was mostly dark, but beams of lights seeped through the termite eaten rafters, illuminating the dust moats that floated in the slightly polluted air. She said the name of each room to herself as she passed them. "English 1, nurse's office, principle's office," she shook her head at the door, "Home room, ...Art." Suddenly, a flurry of images and sounds filled her head. One quote, first spoken to her in a soft whisper, stood out in her mind:

"Wanna see a magic trick?"

***

A black Mercedes was sitting in the school's driveway, parked next to the small white car that had been there for over two hours. The owner of the expensive car was leaning on the passenger side door. His posture straightened when he saw the woman emerge from the building.

"Gwen!" he called out to her approaching figure. She looked up, a smile breaking out onto her face.

"Bruce!" She met him with a smile and a hug, something he returned warmly. "What are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you the same," he replied, raising a dark eyebrow with a smirk.

"Just, uh, revisiting some memories," she replied, her blue eyes averted from his gaze. "You?"

"Alfred kicked me out of the house again, so I decided to come find you." That was normal for Bruce and Gwen. Whenever Bruce got bored (something that happened often), he would use his various connections to find her; at work, at home, or wherever she was. Rumors circulated in the tabloids that they were dating, but the two were just good friends.
A smile tugged at the corner of Gwen's mouth.

"So the house is done?"

"Yeah, we just finished it either today or yesterday. Do you... want to come see it?" Gwen's face lit up. She hadn't had the heart to look at the mansion since it burned down. Now that it was finished, she couldn't wait to see it.

"Of course! I'll meet you there." She turned and started walking to her car. Bruce mentally kicked himself.

"You can ride with me-- if you want."

Gwen smiled before she politely turned him down. "Thanks, Bruce, but I don't want my car to get stolen."

"Of course. I forgot that you haven't gotten your equipment out yet. Why is that?"

Gwen winced. "I'll tell you later. See you at the manor."

Bruce nodded and slid into his car. The engine started and he took off in the direction of his home, Gwen following closely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joker will come in later on, folks. Don't forget to comment. :)