A Deal With Death

Chapter Six

I decided I would become friends with him, and it wasn’t that hard.

I went to sit outside again skipping lunch just to catch a glimpse of him.

I didn’t only catch a glimpse but it seemed he was looking for me, though he didn’t admit it.

“Fancy seeing you here” he raised his eyebrow at me and I sat against a tree.

“Coincidence” I shrugged my shoulders pretending I was there to just sit in the sun.

“Where are all your friends?” he asked sitting down next to me and around a little so he was leaning on the tree too.

“In the cafeteria” I replied simply.

“You don’t seem to spend that much time with them anymore” he said observantly as if he had been watching me.

“Stalker” I coughed jokingly smiling to myself,

“Your bedroom is very pretty I must say,” he laughed and I looked around at him.

He was smiling widely and watching the school doors.

“I don’t like it anymore, it’s too babyish” I commented wondering if he had actually seen my room, which I don’t think.

“Really? All pink and frilly and stuff?” he asked pulling at the grass next to my hand.

“You’ve seen it you should know. Yeah it is,” I laughed,

“Time to grow up hey?” his voice seemed solemn, I looked towards him and he was staring at the ground.

“Have to do it sometime” I replied, the conversation had become very depressive all of a sudden.

“I heard your mother had terminal cancer and then the next day she was cured,” he said still staring at the ground.

“Yeah…” I trailed off thinking about how she was ‘cured’.

Because I had accepted death’s deal I had come to know Caleb and hopefully save his life.

“Miracle” he whispered, I remember him telling me that his grandmother that he was very close with died from cancer about two years ago.

“Weirder things can happen” I meant meeting death of course.

“All too true” he looked towards me now, something in his eyes told me he wanted to ask me something, something important.

We sat there looking at each other for a while before he sighed and then looked away.

He wasn’t going to ask me.

I looked down at my watched and saw that the bell was about to go.

“Better get going,” I said more to myself and then stood up, he was still sitting down.

He looked up at me like a lost puppy; I held my hand out for him to help him up.

He took it and pulled himself up bringing him really close to me.

“You know you’re really familiar for some reason” his tone was quiet and I could feel his breath on my lips.

“Only met you yesterday” I replied as I took a step back and released his hand.

The bell went just then but we stood uninterrupted staring at each other.

“I’m going to class” I broke the silence and started walking backwards.

“Have fun then Airlea” he shrugged his shoulders and just stood there.

“Don’t do anything stupid please” are the words I left him with before I ran off to class.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short next one will be longer, promise.