Love Me or Hate Me

Chapter One

I could hear quick, worried, low mumbling of various voices and an annoying beep right behind my left ear that seemed to get louder and quicker with every nervous sound of a male's voice. I tried opening my eyes but they were held tightly shut and didn't seem keen to obey. My forehead furrowed with frusteration causing an immediate migraine and a gentle gasp escape my dry lips. Using what strength I had I struggled to pry my eyes open, and finally succeeded, to find a blinding fluorescent light penetrating my blue irises. Quickly glaring at the source of discomfort, I found that it was difficult to concentrate on what was going on around me as voices seemed to float in and out of my ears, not making any clear sense. I was utterly confused and curious, wondering who was getting everyone all worked up. My eyes came across my mother's beet red face, and I immediately hated the one who had made her upset, before I noticed the intensely grave features of the man who's voice I'd heard moments earlier. He seemed in his late thirties and by the look on his face, someone was suffering. I vaguely wondered why he hovered around me when someone else needed to be helped. As quickly as I had come to the conclusion that someone needed to be saved, I realized it was me who was the centre of the frenzy that was around me. The shock of it all sent my barely beating heart reeling and caused me to sharply intake air only to find that I was choking on a plastic tube inserted in my mouth and down my esophagus. Panic filled my veins as my eyes darted around helplessly in silent fear. I felt a gentle prick in the innerside of my elbow and, immediately, my body relaxed and my eyelids were weighted again. As hard as I tried to keep my eyes open they disobeyed, causing the room to dissapate*(sp) and send me into a blank hole full of numbing bliss and content.