Domia abr Wyrda

Chapter 1

On the darkest night, she could barely be seen running, from shadow to shadow, as she stalked the only hope for food. Her living depended on the starless nights, as without them it would be useless to creep. In between the trees and crawling through bushes, just to catch one of the last deer that carelessly tore at the green that flowed over the ground.

Fixing an arrow into her bow, the unknown girl aimed it towards the feasting deer and pulled the string back effortlessly. All that could be heard in the soundless night was the twang of the arrow as it departed from the bow and hit the deer on its side, alarming it. Before it could fully react, another arrow pierced through its flesh, drawing it down to the grass it once ate and ending its life.

Satisfied of her kill, the girl moved towards the weakened deer laying helplessly on its side, she then sat beside it and looked down at it frowning, “I am sorry, but if I do not find food soon then surely I will die in the days to come” Stroking the hair of it’s side, she looked up to the starless night and whispered “ “Atra onr Stydja unin mor’ranr” (May You Rest In Peace).

Blinking back tears, feeling guilty at having had killed to live, she began to cut off enough meat for a few nights of a full meal and buried the rest, making sure that the burial site could not be dug up by any scavengers.

The girl stood up and ran towards the tall, prickly trees that stood higher than her. She tightened her grip on the bag that held the slices of meat, and ran through the thick forest.

As she ran she stumbled upon a small clearing what just outside of her old village, and thought that this would be a good place to cook her meat without any questions of where she had been and why she was always away from her home for such long periods at a time.

She gathered an armful of small twigs and logs and settled them on the ground and placed them in a certain formation and then ran off to find some stones, in which she then settled them around the twigs. Finally, she began to light a fire with a small rock that she carried with her, she struck it with one of the stones she had placed around the twigs and soon the sparks caught alight with the small hairs that bore themselves upon the wood.

Satisfied, she placed a piece of the meat on an old pair of tong like tool that she had and stuck it near the now blazing fire. The flames reflected off of her dark green eyes, and revealed her dark brown hair that contrasted with the dirt and dust that lay in it.

Wiping the sleep out of her eyes, she yawned and rested her head on the small leather bag that she always wore. Memories flooded into her mind, and she squeezed her eyes shut, desperate to rid the images.

This girl who lay in the shadows of the night, and who lived off of the earth, had a pain deep inside that did not die, as she knew that one day they would find her and on that day she would be Arwen no more.

But that day was yet to truly come, as her fate was soon to be revealed, a fate that would help many people and anger or hurt the rest.