Come to My Window

Thirteen

Doors opened and slammed shut. Footsteps pounded across the floor. Muffled voices became clearer. The door to our room opened and the two men walked inside. One held a newspaper and the other had a roll of duct tape.

“So, I was having a pretty good morning, until I went out to get the paper. Do you mind explaining this shit to me?” He tossed the newspaper at us and crossed his arms over his chest.

My eyes lowered themselves and I saw the headline; Anonymous Tips Could Bring Back Missing Teens. I bit my lip as Rachel adjusted herself so she could read it as well. We continued to read.

I read through the article as fast as I could. It said that someone has been giving anonymous tips since almost the beginning, but didn’t want the cops to jump into action for reasons that he didn’t want printed in the story.

Mystery Man. Our beloved Mystery Man.

One of the men ripped the newspaper from my grip and mumbled a few things under his breath, but I wasn’t able to make them out.

“I sure do hope you two are ready for what we have in store for you. But we still have to set a few things up, so we’ll be right back,” the other man winked.

The two of them walked out, closing the door behind them. I sighed, leaning back against the wall.

“Mystery Man is going to save us,” Rachel smiled.

“You think it’s him, too?”

Rachel nodded and scooted over to the window. I only hoped that we would be saved before it was too late.

A month has passed since Rachel and I read that article. We only know it’s been a month because they would bring us the newspapers to show us that they are still making the headlines.

Mystery Man still never showed and Rachel seemed to be in more emotional pain because of that than the whole time we’ve been here. She sat by the window every chance she had. I didn’t bother anymore. Just thinking about it made me feel like we were going to be here forever.

I had something else to worry about. I never brought it up to Rachel, but maybe I should.

“Rachel, can I uh, talk to you about something?” I whispered.

“Yeah, sure,” she smiled.

I took a deep breath, not really sure how I should start. This really isn’t something I’d talk about. But in this case, I think it’s pretty important.

“Okay, so, uhm, I had finished with my period a while before I was kidnapped. And if I’m right with the days, I should have started two weeks ago, I think. But…I haven’t. Maybe it’s just stress or something but, it’s really starting to worry me,” I looked down at my hands.

Rachel didn’t respond. I slowly looked back up at her. She bit her lip and avoided eye contact.

“I was scared to say anything, but I’m actually in the same situation,” she was on the verge of tears.

Tears stung my eyes. The only thing I could really think of was the first time we were in the basement.

“They didn’t use condoms, did they?” My voice cracked.

She shook her head, a few tears escaping her closed eyes. I shut my eyes tight and hung my head. This shouldn’t be happening.

Just when we thought things couldn’t get any worse, we were proved wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh snap.
What's gonna happen next?
I'll leave that to Miss Faunalynn.
;]

<3Megan.