Come to My Window

Twenty

Detective Wilson and another man sat down on the opposite side of the table from us. The two of us sat in our metal chairs, trembling slightly. The nightmare that we lived in still played itself over and over in our minds. Now, now it doesn’t even seem like we are out of it, it’s like this is just an illusion that is taunting us so that when we come back to reality, we find ourselves still up in that attic, begging for the mystery man to save us.

“Girls, we just have to ask you a few questions.” Detective Wilson slid two cups of water towards us. If I could have forced my hand to grab it, I would, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. To me, it felt like a test. “Is it okay if we begin?”

That question just didn’t make any sense to me but the reason why it didn’t is unknown. It couldn’t be possible that everything that I had known before I was taken went away, could it? The simplest of things that I used to do without thinking now seemed to be so difficult for me to grasp. In the hospital, they had told us that we were ‘institutionalized’ by the men. We had adapted to their fucked up set of rules. When they said that to us, I stifled my laughter but now I am starting to think that maybe they were right.

The two detectives talked at us. I would normally have said that they talked to us, but neither one of us were absorbing their words. I couldn’t focus on a since word that was being said, it didn’t matter how hard I tried. There were too many things going on in my head.

“Girls?” Detective Miller interrupted his partner. “Girls, are you okay?”

Both of us lifted our heads up so that we could look at the man’s face. Maybe that would be enough for him to realize that we just aren’t all there at the moment. The fear had set in too deep in us and I wasn’t sure when it would go away. I was just sitting there waiting for one of the men to throw the door open and drag one of us away.

“Maybe we should let you girls get some rest first. The hospital should be calling in with your results soon, about the test, you know.” Detective Wilson said to us.

The test. The one thing I was dreading even more so then having to go back up into that attic again. Tears pricked my eyes as I thought about what they did to us and how a child could have been created by that. A child that was created by hatred, pain, tears, and silent pleas.

“So when we get the results, you two can go home to your families.” Wilson added before he and Miller stepped out of the room.

Rachel and I sat in our silence. That was something that we were used to. She looked at me with the same scared eyes that I had seen every day up in that attic. I tried to remain as strong as possible; I didn’t want her breaking down anymore.

I don’t know exactly how long we sat there waiting to hear the news but it seemed like an eternity.

When the door opened, we both jumped again. Old habits are hard to break sometimes. Detective Wilson held two folders in his hands as he walked over to us. I tried to imagine a black hole forming in the middle of the room that would suck him up so that we wouldn’t have to find out the results. Instead of the black hole, I folder was laying in front of me when I opened my eyes.

“The results are in, girls.” Thank you Maury Povich.

I took a deep breath and reached my trembling hand forward. After I flipped the folder open, I couldn’t help but to look away. I truly didn’t want to read what was written there because I felt like I already knew that answer. Rachel probably felt the same. Finally, I knew that I had to look. My eyes scanned along the printed lines until they landed on one word. Postive. I didn’t need to read anymore. That was all I needed to know.

I broke down into hysterical sobs. It just wasn’t fair. By the noises coming out of Rachel, I knew that she had received the same news that I had. Why did they do this to us? Why us?

“You still have options.” Detective Wilson chimed in. “Just remember that. You always have options.”

Stick him in an attic with those men for a few days and lets seem if he ever says that again.

He escorted Rachel and I out of the room. I was surprised to see our mystery man sitting out a bench, patiently waiting. He stood up when we walked out and a look of sadness took over his face.

“Ava, I’m scared.” Rachel whispered. Those words were enough to bring me back to another place.

“Yeah, I am, too.” I whispered back.

What were we supposed to do now?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I've been hella busy.
I hope you liked this one!