Come to My Window

Seven.

As the moon became more vibrant in the night sky, we heard rustling around outside the attic door. Rachel and I held our breath, afraid of what might happen next. The door burst open and we froze.

“Well now, seems like your families really do care about you two.” The man smirked.

We didn’t move. Our bodies ached from crouching in the corners, sitting on the old floorboards that looked like they would break any minute, and sleeping against the walls. Our reddened eyes glued to the scruffy man before us.

He threw a fresh newspaper down at our feet and left, slamming the door behind him. Our hearts raced as we scrambled to grab the newspaper. Both of us held onto the newspaper, quietly reading the headline on the front page.

Local teens disappear.” Rachel whispered.

“Look, a phone number for the police station. All we have to do now is wait until they leave again and we can sneak downstairs and call for help!” I smiled.

Her eyes lit up but slowly faded. My heart dropped when I realized why she wasn’t as excited as I was.

“It’s a great idea, but we have no idea when they’re going to leave again. Or if they even have a phone.”

I groaned and let go of the newspaper, going back to my spot against the wall. Tears began to form in my eyes as I crossed my arms across my chest. Rachel gave me a sympathetic look and then turned back to the newspaper. I began thinking of ways to escape this hellhole in my mind. But with each scenario, the guy with the cell phone kept showing up.

“Do you think that guy with the cell phone was calling the police?” I asked, wiping a few tears away.

Rachel shrugged, finally dropping the newspaper on the floor and sitting down in front of me. She tapped her index finger against her chin, deep in thought.

“He could have. Or he could’ve just been talking to a friend or something like that. But the look on his face when he saw us in the window, something tells me that he went to tell someone once he finally walked away. But then again, he could just be like every other person that saw us.” She sighed.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, at least, until the banging sound erupted from below us.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY!
Update for you!
<3 Megan