Status: All done, but I'm doing a bit of editing here and there, mostly just spacing things out, and grammer.

Of All the People

The Talent Show

I woke up to the sound of quiet guitar playing. I wasn’t really awake enough to process, so I thought it was my alarm clock. I reached out my arm to hit the snooze button, but ended up connecting with flesh.

“Ow.” I heard someone say quietly. I opened my eyes, to see Jack sitting at his desk, which was right next to my bed, playing guitar. I sat up, and stretched.

“Sorry,” I said to him. Jack nodded, “its okay.” I untangled myself from the covers, walked over to my desk, and opened my computer, to check my email. There was one from my mom, basically telling me that she just happened to forget that there weren’t many girls there. Thanks mom. There were a lot from my friends, and one from my dad, asking if I wanted to see if any of my new school friends wanted to go snowboarding on the long weekend. He said that we would go somewhere that you could drive to from NYAM. I was really happy to have gotten that email, because we hadn’t gone anywhere for a couple weeks.

“I’m going to go shower…in the boy’s bathroom. This’ll be interesting.” I said, turning to Jack. He looked up and nodded, then returned to practicing ‘Her Fairytale’ on his guitar. I grabbed my towel, and my toiletries, and my iPod and walked out the door.

I got to the bathroom, and again I knocked.

“We have our pants on!” shouted someone from inside.

“Good.” I replied. I opened the door, walked over to the sink again. I brushed my teeth, and then took my stuff over to the shower stalls.

“Um…I’m going to shower, and if any of you so much as comes within a ten food radius, it will NOT help your love lives, at all.” I said, smiling at them. I stepped into the stall, and started taking off my clothes, too bad I hadn’t thought to wear a swimsuit. I put all of my things onto the bench, and turned on the water.

After a nice ten minute long shower, I grabbed the towel, and wrapped it around myself. I stepped out of the shower, and walked out of the bathroom as fast as I could, and running back to the dorm.

I went through the door, only to have Dylan, Connor, and Alex there again, staring at my wet self, wrapped in a teeny-tiny towel.

“Not having a girl’s bathroom is a real pain in the ass.” I said. When no one moved, I walked over to the dresser, saying, “I need to get dressed, so could you give me a minute?” they nodded, and stepped into the other room. I slipped on my blue thong, (it sounds weird, but it makes me feel not so unhappy) and my matching blue pushup bra. Just then, Jack opened the door. I shrieked, and he very quickly, (but not fast enough that he didn’t get an eyeful) turned around, to face the door.

“Oops.” He said.

“Uh, yeah.” I said, slightly embarrassed. “I’ll tell you when you can turn around.” I told him. I put on my favorite jeans, they made me look like a model, because I have a curvy figure, but I’m still flat stomached. (Oh, and also, a little side note, my bra is a 30D, a little bigger than most girls my age. Oh well, I can’t do anything about it.) And I put on a dark blue tank top.

“Okay, I’m decent.” I said, as Jack turned around.

“Sorry about that.” I told him, going a little red. He shrugged, and sat at his desk. I walked over, and opened the door, and four boys tumbled into the room, knocking me to the floor.

“Girl getting squished! Girl getting squished!” I shouted, because some of them were still sitting on me.

“Sorry Athena.” Alex said, and he and all of the other boys got up. Connor held out his hand for me, and I took it gratefully.

“Thanks,” I said. I stood up, and got my coat.

“Are we going to go get some food? I’m starving.” I asked, Jack nodded, and got his coat as well.

When we walked through the doors of the dining hall, just about everyone was looking at me, and some were even clapping. Great. I ignored them, and followed Dylan to the food.

The woman behind the counter gave me a salad, and smiled at me, and I smiled back, thanking her. We then went to go sit down at a table where there were more of Jack’s friends. When I sat, they all greeted me, and told me that I did really well at the assembly, and with Jack. I nodded, and thanked them, digging into my food.

We were talking about the talent show, when I remembered my dad’s offer.

“Hey, I was wondering, do any of you guys want to go to a ski resort for the break next week?” I asked, “My dad told me that I could bring some people, if any of you want to go.”

Alex nodded, “That sounds great. I would have to get my mom and dad to send my stuff here, but that would be awesome. Are you sure your dad won’t mind?” he asked, I nodded my head. There was a chorus of ‘ditto’s, and ‘same here’s form all four guys.

“Cool, I’ll tell my dad that all four of you are coming.” I said. I was really excited, because I was actually a pretty good snowboarder, so it would be fun.

“Hey, Athena, are you going to snowboard, or ski?” Dylan asked.

“Snowboard, why?” I asked, truly curious.

“I was just wondering. I’m going to snowboard too.” He told me. I nodded, and went back to eating my lunch.

We had all gone back to Jack and my room, and were sitting around, listening to my iPod on shuffle, and doing nothing. I was totally lost in thought, when the song Fools Like Me by Lisa Loeb came on, so obviously, I had to sing.

...Everybody go
The party's over
I want to be alone in my head
In my bed tonight
You never show

You must really love her
You think I don't know
But I do, yeah it's true
I think over is over,....

There were people gathering in both doorways again, looking at me.

...I'm right back where I started
(When it comes to wanting you)
I can't have what I wanted

But I did, I can
I was, I am
Only human, living, dying
Just like any fool who ever breathed
If love is blind
If love's a drug
It always is
It always was and
Love was surely made for fools like me...

When the song ended, everyone applauded, AGAIN. I think that I’m going to have to get used to that, because it had happened every time I sang. There was a couple chorus of “Good job Athena!” as everyone was leaving. I turned to the guys sitting in my room, and looked at them.

“So?” I asked, they hadn’t said anything, and I was getting kind of worried. There was silence for a few more seconds, and then Connor asked, “Have you always been able to do that?” I was really confused.

“Do what?” I asked them.

“That! That thing where you were totally and completely awesome?!” Dylan said.

“Um…I guess so.” I said, thinking. I glanced up at the clock, and saw that it was already 3:30, and there was only half an hour until the talent show.

“Jack!” I said, or shouted really.

“What?” he asked me, looking slightly worried,

“We really need to practice, there’s only half an hour until the talent show!” I said. Jack nodded, and went to go set up his guitar, but he got out an electric one from the closet, not his normal one.

“What are you doing?” I asked, since we had practiced with the normal one earlier.

“Don’t worry, I was thinking about it, and the song will sound better this way.” I shrugged, and got the music. I looked at Dylan, Alex, and Connor and asked them, “Are you guys staying?” they looked at one and other, and nodded.

“Okay, cool.”

“One, two, three.” Jack said, counting out the beat.

We finished the song, and there were people there to clap, again. There was about twenty minutes until the show, and I had to get ready, and physic myself up for it.

“I’m going to get ready.” I told them, grabbing my make up bag, and heading for the door. I walked down the hall, all the while hearing people telling me how good I was. I reached the bathroom, and knocked.

“We’re fine.” Someone said.

“Thank you.” I told them as I stepped through the door.

I washed my face, and brushed my long glossy strawberry blond curls. (My hair is down to my lower back, and I have little ringlets, when I take care of my hair, but if I don’t then it gets to be about a foot out on each side of my head. It’s more red than blond, and there’s so much of it, that sometimes I get lost.) I braided it in the back, and a few ringlets came loose on the sides, because my hair is layered. Every single boy in the bathroom was looking at me. How fun. I opened my make up bag, and got out my eye shadow that was just pink-cream, with sparkles, and swept it over my eyelids. I then put on a little bit of blush, and some mascara. To finish it off, some cherry clear lip gloss.

“Okay, I’m done,” I said as I was leaving the bathroom,

“You can close your mouths now.” I told them as the door was swinging shut.

Jack and I met in the auditorium, and he looked just like the boys in the bathroom, with his mouth hanging open.

“Oh, come on.” I said. We sat down, and waited for our turn. The headmaster was calling out people who were performing, it turned out that only ninth graders had to perform but for everyone else it was optional.

It was Jack, and my turn, and as we walked up the stairs, there was a huge amount of cheering. Jack set up his guitar, and I prepared myself mentally. Jack started playing, and then I started to sing. If there was any bit of noise at all before I started, there was none at all when I did.

When the song finished, there was more clapping and stuff, and then, as we were going to go back to our seats, the headmaster did a think that everyone in the whole auditorium thought was strange; he asked us if we would do another song. I shrugged, and Jack nodded.

“Which one?” he whispered to me, I thought about it for a second, and then said, “Hunter, by Dido.” I told him. He nodded, and started to play, as I started to sing.

...With one light on in one room
I know you're up when I get home
With one small step upon the stair
I know your look when I get back
If you were a king up there on your throne
Would you be wise enough to let me go
For this queen you think you own....

We finished, and I went back to my seat as fast as I could, so that the headmaster couldn’t ask us to do any more songs.

When the talent show was over, we (we meaning Alex, Connor, Dylan, Jack and I) went to go get food. After eating, and having at least twenty people come congratulate Jack and me, including the same woman behind the counter, we went to the room, to just hang out.

I was sitting on my bed, and all I could think was that I had to survive three more years of this.
♠ ♠ ♠
yippi! another chapter! :P
please comment! (as ive said many times before!)
xo, moi