Hired Love

Scroll 3: Confessions

The cool river wound its way through the forest. The area was set away from the village, except for Ayame who was dangling her feet in the water. A small breeze made her hair wisp around her face. Her eyes were closed. To any passer-by she would be mistaken as a statue. But not to Sasuke Uchiha; who her very face haunted him both when he was awake and asleep. Even after he discovered her true intent, he could not shake her from his mind. He watched her from a distance, counting her visible breaths. Amaya turned her head slightly.
“Were you ever going to tell me?” He called.
She turned her head toward him. “Tell you what?”
He rolled his eyes. “Don’t lie Ayame.” He held up the file. “You dropped this the other night. Care to explain this?”
He watched as her faced paled.
“Sasuke I…” He cut her off.
“You know something; I don’t want to hear your excuses Ayame.” He turned his back to her. “I thought you were better than this.”
“But Sasuke…” She watched as his back disappeared into the forest. She fell to her knees. She didn’t feel Sasuke watching her. He leaned against a tree. His first test: how she would react to his words.

Ayame trembled slightly after he had departed. Tears fell from her eyes. He hadn’t given her a chance to explain. She crossed her arms across her chest. This wasn’t her. She was determined. She would have to try again. She stood and walked the direction Sasuke took.

~~~~****~~~~

Sasuke was sitting in the lunch area where they met. He felt her presence soon enough. He turned his head and saw her. She spotted him and, before he could blink, ran to him.
“Would you be kind enough to listen to me?” He went to stand but was forced to stay where he was. He made eye contact with her. Ayame’s eyes were full of hurt.
“I think you made your point clear with the file.”
“No, you didn’t give me a chance to explain.”
“Explain what? That you were hired to…”
“SHUT UP!” He glared at her outbreak, but was taken aback when her head fell. He fought the urge to wipe away the tear that fell. She looked at him again. “Can’t you see?”
“See what? The fact that you betrayed me?”
“No Sasuke.”
“Then what?” She had shown earlier that there was something, but now he had to be sure. It was his heart that was on the line after all.
“At first I was hired to date you, to bring you out of yourself. Then I kissed you, to keep those girls away and I didn’t realize it then; but everything had changed. I had changed. Then outside my door, I knew for it for a fact…” She trailed off as her head hung again.
“You knew what? That this mission was going to be easy?”
“THAT I LOVED YOU!” She turned her back to him. He looked at her back. This had not been expected.
“You infuriate yet infatuate me. I can’t stay away from you Sasuke. You broke my heart earlier yet here I am, ready to get hurt again.” She looked over her shoulder and gave him a small smile. Then she was gone, running away from the object of her pain. Him. He had not meant to hurt her. He stood and ran after her.

She slammed her door. She crept to the couch and curled into a ball. She let the tears fall freely. A hand was soft on her hair. “I’m sorry.”
“Itachi?”
“I didn’t think he would hurt you.”
“No, it’s my fault. If I hadn’t screwed up, I wouldn’t be crying.” He handed her a tissue.
“I thought it would be better for you both.” There was a soft knock on the door. “It’s Sasuke. I should go.” He looked at her before jumping out the window. Sasuke knocked again. She opened the door. He started to say something, but decided against it.
“Just come in.” She pushed the door open to let him in. He cautiously stepped through the threshold. She closed the door behind him.
“Ayame, your right.” He looked at her. He lifted a hand to her face and brushed her hair behind her ears. “Everything did change when you kissed me that first time.”
“Sasuke, I’m sorry. I never intended to hurt you. It’s just that…” He silenced her with a soft kiss.
“I know you didn’t and you proved it to me today.” He pulled her close and kissed her again. Her arms wrapped around his neck. His hands rested lightly on her hips. They broke apart and he wiped her tears again.
“Ayame, I love you.” She smiled.
“I love you, too.” He pulled her to him and kissed her again to ensure that she would be his.

~~~~****~~~~

A few weeks later…

Sasuke turned when he felt arms wrap around his waist. Ayame smiled. He grabbed her hand. “Hey.”
“Hey.” He snaked his arm around her waist.
“I have a question for you.” She looked at him. “Who hired you?” She smiled.
“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”
“Try me.” She looked at him for a beat.
“Your brother.” It was his turn to look at her.
“Funny, now the truth.”
“That was the truth.” He rolled his eyes.
“Fine, don’t tell me.” She smiled and kissed him lightly.
Itachi smiled as he watched his brother and Ayame. He knew that they would be happy now.
♠ ♠ ♠
The tale of Sasuke and Ayame is now complete...or is it?
Do I smell a sequel?