Three Strikes

Peace Offering

Every time I am scheduled to work, I don’t ever complain. I love coming to work, even if I wasn’t very knowledgeable with many of the equipment. I work in a music store in Queens and I have been working here ever since I started school. It was Marie’s brother’s friend’s dad’s shop, or something along those lines.

Today was different though. I was standing behind the glass counter for over four hours already. It was a slow, quiet day and I was expecting Marie to come barging through the front door any minute. She was dying to find out about my day yesterday; particularly if I manned up and kicked Brad where the sun doesn’t shine. I can be a jerk, but I’m not that mean. He hasn’t irritated me to the point where I want to cause him bodily harm…yet.

I got tired of standing up for so long that I started walking around the store. One of my co-workers, Felix was with a customer, showing him a sea green electric guitar. It was one of the prettiest guitars in the entire store that I sometimes wished I knew how to play, just so I could buy that sea green guitar.

I walked up and down the aisles, randomly touching guitars, bass guitars and even the small section with mandolins and banjos. Maybe I could talk Felix into teaching me how to play for a low price. We were somewhat buddies.

I heard the front door jingle and slam shut as I made my way past Felix once again, who was now showing the same customer a different color guitar.

“Tara, Tara, Tara!” Marie’s voice echoed throughout the store. “Where the heck are you?” I went back to my position behind the counter as Marie made a beeline towards me. She was dressed in a yellow sundress and her eyes were covered with her favorite black sunglasses that made her look like a bug.

“Marie,” I said casually.

“So tell me,” she said. “Who is he?” I cocked my eyebrow and stared at her.

“Who is who?” I questioned. “What are you talking about?”

“Chris told me about that guy from yesterday,” she said, “The one that you were sitting next to.” I rolled my eyes.

“Stupid bitch,” I mumbled. Marie laughed at my annoyance and leaned forward on the counter so she was mere inches from my face.

“So, tell me! Was he cute? Chris said he was. She also said she told him off for making you leave early.”

“Marie, can we talk about something else?” I asked. “Like why are you wearing that sundress? It’s too bright to be worn in public.”

Marie laughed as she stood straight up and touched her dress. “I like it. I got it yesterday and I had to show it to you.” She did a 360 and threw her arms up in the air. “Don’t you love it?”

“Sure,” I replied. “So, what do you--”

“Tara, do me a favor and help my friend out over here,” Felix said. “He wants to check out the Les Paul that’s on top in the front. Can you get it down for him?”

“For who?” I asked. I didn’t notice anyone in the shop except for Marie, Felix and a couple of guys.

“Paul’s a lesbian?” Marie asked. “What?”

I scoffed loudly at her as I started walking away from her and towards the front of the store. I noticed a guy standing there with a younger boy. I dragged a step-stool that was nearby and reached for the off-white Les Paul that was hanging up in the front of the store.

“Were you the one that wanted this?” I questioned to the guy who was now crotched down, talking to the small boy. He quickly stood up and faced me.

“Yes, thank you,” he said. Just as I was about to hand him the guitar and walk away, I nearly dropped the guitar on his feet.

“Tara?” he questioned. He took the guitar from me and held it in his left hand. “I am so sor--”

“Forget it,” I snapped quickly. “I’ll be in the back. If you want anything bother Felix.” I turned away quickly, but not quick enough since the little boy that was with Kevin was now standing in front of me.

“Are you Tara from last night?” he questioned as he looked up at me.

“Maybe,” I said as I walked around him and started walking away from Kevin and this small boy.

“Kevin, she’s walking away,” the boy said. “Say you’re sorry.” I continued walking back towards the counter where Marie was now standing behind, sitting atop the spinning stool.

“How long are you going to work today?” she questioned. “I want to go to Central Park and lie on the grass and soak up some sun. It’s such a beautiful day.”

“I’ve only been here for a few hours,” I replied. I was about to perch myself on top of Marie’s lap when Kevin started to walk over. “Are you planning on buying that or did you just come here to annoy me?”

“I was planning on buying a new guitar,” Kevin replied. “And I honestly didn’t know you work here.” He scratched the back of his neck while he stared down at the counter. “I got an earful last night from your friend, so if you wouldn’t mind not causing a scene now, I’d appreciate it.”

“That’s him?” Marie responded. “You’re him? The guy who said Tara’s dad sucks?”

I noticed Kevin’s face start to turn a light shade of red. He continued to stare down at the counter with the Les Paul in hand.

“You should make it up to her,” Marie said. “Dinner, movie, you know the basics.”

If looks could kill, Marie would drop to the floor with the look I shot at her.

“She loves walks in the park too, maybe you can take her on a picnic,” she continued, causing me to elbow her in the ribs.

“I’d love to take you out as a peace offering,” Kevin started. He finally looked at me which caused me to stare at my nails. “I’m only in town tonight though. I, uh, I am visiting, sort of.”

“Listen you don’t have to make up excuses,” I replied as kindly as I could muster, “You don’t have to take me out, buy me anything or even apologize. I barely know you so you continue your little visit here as if you never met me, okay?”

“No, not okay!” Marie said. I glared at her once again and she put her hand over her mouth.

“Do you want to buy that guitar or not?” I questioned.

“No, it’s fine,” Kevin said lifting the guitar and placing it on top of the counter, “Sorry for wasting your time.” He looked down by his side at the little boy who looked on eagerly at his brother. “Come on Frankie, let’s get back to the hotel. See you later Tara.”

Kevin flashed a small smile as he guided Frankie out of the store.

“You are so retarded!” Marie said as she left my side and started running after Kevin. I was not in the mood to run after her to stop her from what she was about to do. I continued to stay in my spot while she completely disappeared from my view.

I was now sort of relieved that after today I would most likely never see Kevin ever again. Sure he may be good looking, have an adorable laugh, but he was prying and wore skinny jeans. I was not interested in guys that wore skinny jeans. It was not something I was into.

“Tara! Guess what!” Marie shouted. I stood up straighter as she came prancing into my view. “I got the hotel name of where your man is staying and you’ll never guess what I found out. That’s Kevin Jonas!”

I continued staring at her and wondered why and how do I deal with her. She gets excited for anything like finding out a last name. “Okay, thanks?”

“You don’t even know who he is, do you?” she questioned. “That’s the Kevin Jonas! You know from the Jonas Brothers.”

Once again, I was at a loss for words. He had brothers? And I should care why?

“He’s in a band! He’s famous! Hello! Are you really disclosed from the rest of the world? Kevin Jonas of the Jonas Brothers has your number by the way.”

Now she had my attention. “You gave him my number? Why would you do that? I don’t know him!” I groaned as I placed my head on the counter. “What if he’s a creep? What if he lied about being famous?”

“Huh?”

I raised my head and stared at Marie. “Now I have to change my number, thanks.”

“He said he’s going to be back in New York in about three weeks,” she said. “He’s on tour right now which is why he’s cutting his visit short.”

I still didn’t believe a word coming out of her mouth. Why would a “famous” guy who probably has a bunch of girls throwing themselves at him be remotely interested in me? It had to be some sort of joke.

“Yeah right,” I said. I looked up at the wall clock and noticed it was nearing my lunchtime. I started walking towards Felix while thinking about the rest of my day. I was going to cut my hours short today and not return after my lunch. “I’ll see you tomorrow Felix. Today’s just not my day.”

With that, I left the music store to be blinded by the bright sun. I stopped abruptly as two young children ran past me.

“Why do you look like that?” Marie questioned. I didn’t even realize she was standing next to me while I gazed down the street. “Are you mad at me? He’s cute and he obviously likes you. You’ll thank me one day.”

Would I really thank her one day? It’s not like I’ll have to see him. Supposedly he’ll be gone for three weeks. I could ignore his calls if he called. I could stick with only texting him if he had the time for that.

What was I thinking? I am probably going to just change my number all together. He is just going to have to live with my mild temper at not forgiving him for a while. Nobody messes upsetsTara Francona and gets away with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
EPIC FAIL. I wrote this back in January and never completed it. But since I love Kevin J, I updated :)

Read and tell me your thoughts.