Status: Finished

The Tiniest Lie Rips Out Your Whole Soul

Chapter 18: Stubborn

Hearing of my past was astonishing and almost like a soap opera. Danny and I sat down after an emotional encounter. He hugged me and it felt like hugging a stranger, but only at first, but then something inside of my mind triggered that he was family.

We sat down and he explained how our father came back right after our mother died, which I immediately found suspicious, but when I tried to ask him he ignored it and continued. He only told me what he remembered which wasn’t as much because of his age, but he does remember how I was so happy when I was with Edward.

He told me Edward wasn’t a bad guy and could never really figure out why he changed so much. He told me that for years he thought that I had died. Basically he told me my whole life story. But he did told me I was a lot happier when I was with Matthew.

As Danny and I spoke I got a flashback.

{Flashback}

I shot straight up panting. I quickly looked around at my surroundings and had a baffled look on my face.

"What?" I said.

[What am I doing back in the Heart-stein residence?] I thought when I recognized that this was my room. I pulled the covers aside and tried to stand up but I felt like I weighed a hundred tons.

"I wouldn't move just yet, darling." A voice came from the door. It was Edward's mom, Elizabeth; she had a certain smile on her face. And expression like she had won The Great War or something, an expression of victory.

My heart should be racing a hundred miles per hour, but I was calm, not entirely of course, but I didn't feel my heart. I placed my hand over my chest and I wasn't breathing so I started to move my chest up and down.

"Must feel weird... not feeling your heart beat... or breathing." Elizabeth entered the room and took a seat at the end of the bed her eyes on me the entire time.

"I must admit, I know why Edward thought you were beautiful. Now that you're immortal, you look more stunning than ever." Elizabeth picked a strand of my hair and then she dropped it. I pulled my hair back to my right side rapidly. She noticed and she shrugged.

"Where is Edward?" My voice was hoarse and I held my throat with of my hands and cleared it.

"The Chanel family has remained pure for the past two thousand years." Elizabeth said.

I shook my head. "Where is Edward?!" I demanded with an angry voice.

"I was hoping to let you down easy but it seems that with your attitude you leave me no choice." She closed her eyes and then opened them and looked at me.

"Edward is married, now. He doesn't love you, he never did." Elizabeth said.

A pain went through my heart or somewhere because my world was shrinking little by little.

"You're lying!" I said.

"Now, why would I do that?" Elizabeth asked innocently.

"Because Edward loves me and he would never do that, he's going to marry me" I touched my left finger where the ring should be but it was gone.

Elizabeth laughs. "Silly newborn. Why would a pure blood vampire, royalty no less, want to marry you?"

"No! No! No! You're lying! You're lying!"

Thump!

A sharp pain went through my chest.

Thump!

There was that same pain again.

"Ow! My heart!" I held myself together as I brought my knees to my chest and rocked myself.

"What are you talking about your heart?" Elizabeth said.

"My heart, it hurts!" I gasped for air.

"Impossible, your heart shouldn't be beating at all!" Elizabeth came over to me and moved my hands easily and she placed her cold hand on my chest, I didn't really feel it since I was cold as well.

Her eyes widened in horror.

"Impossible." She muttered again.

"I need to speak to Edward." I said, I moved her aside, which I thought would be impossible but yet I did. By the time I had reached the door I felt stronger and much better physically not emotionally. When I turned the knob and opened the door, his blue eyes met my gray eyes.

"Matthew." I choked out. I wrapped my arms around him. "Please tell me it isn't true; please tell me Edward didn't get married."

Matthew stroked my hair. "Emily."

I pulled apart but not entirely, I looked into his eyes and there was sorrow in them. He took out something from his back pocket and gave it to me. It was an envelope. It was all white except for the red letters at the front which read "The Heartstein Family"

My hands shook as I took out the invitation. I knew what it was I just didn't want to believe it.

"Dear Heartstein family, you are kindly invited to the wedding of Prince Edward Henry Chanel and Anne Swanson."

That's all I needed to read, but then I looked down at the date.

"What's today’s date?" I asked Matthew.

"Their wedding was two days ago, Emily. They're on their honeymoon in Europe."

Right there is when my heart broke into millions of tiny pieces. I lost all sense of balance and I was going to touch the cold floor, but Matthew's arms caught me and I cried into his chest.

[End of Flashback]


“He was there for me when I needed him the most.” I looked up at Danny. “Why… how did I became so heartless?”

“It wasn’t your doing, Ems,” Danny tried to comfort. “Life didn’t go easy on you. What you went through was hard and most people would’ve probably killed themselves, but not you, you faced those challenges head on.”

“But look where it got us, Olivia died on my watch and our brother is our enemy, how can I repair all of this? How can I make it right?”

Danny exhaled and looked some thing and at the same time at nothing. He turned to me and smiled.

“We make it right by fighting, by never giving up. Fifty years we’ve been fighting the same war and we have not given up and we will not now. We will get our brother back no matter what.”

It brought some kind of peace to me knowing I had at least one of my family members was with me. He also told me about his family and showed me pictures of my nieces and great-nieces and nephews.

Later on I was introduced to Hell boy and Abraham, I was a little skeptical at first but then I got to know them and I was glad to see them. Liz, Hell boy’s girlfriend/ fiancée was going to teach me how to handle my fire power.

In a way, I’ve always had a family.

Then, when everything was going smoothly, Nicholas couldn’t fake anymore and… died. It was a natural and respectable death. On his last minutes I was with him as he requested. He told me his side story of my life. He told me that he was in love with me for a while.

“You were so… beautiful and down to earth, not a thing you see every day.” He chuckled. “Ems, you are my best friend and I know you can overcome anything that is thrown at you. You just need faith. Trust your gut.”

He kissed my forehead and went to sleep. He never woke up the next morning. We had a beautiful funeral for him. His son, Alexander was there and I told them it was a complete honor knowing his father, though it was short.

“Emily?” I looked up and saw Matthew with a sympathetic look. “You okay, love?” His faint British accent was so cute.

“No.” I confessed. “It’s… not easy to hear your life from other people. Why did I leave Matt?”

Matthew entered my room and closed the door. He walked over to me and saw on the edge of the bed. He took my hand and did little circles with his thumb. He looked at our hands as he spoke.

“You blamed yourself for the death of Olivia and the capture of your brother. Edward fled the country and you went after him.”
“Alone? I left alone?”

He nodded.

I couldn’t understand. I was a stubborn person. I couldn’t believe the person I was. I ran away from my problems.

“I’m going to be a different Emily from now on. I will not leave my family, this place is my home.”

He looked in my eyes and searched for something. After a while he smirked.

“There’s that spark you had before you turned. I can’t believe how much I’ve missed it. You’re certainly not the same Emily.”

I stood up with confidence.

“No, I am a new Emily. Life has given a new chance to begin. I will not throw it away. I will take advantage of this… and… make it right, for everyone. For Nick, Olivia, James and Jacob.”