Status: Finished

The Tiniest Lie Rips Out Your Whole Soul

Chapter 19: Peace

I trained for weeks on end. Matthew was my instructor and he taught me everything I used to know what to do. Liz taught me how to control my fire power and I had to learn to control the rest of the elements on my own. Abraham helped a lot. I was a little skeptical at first when I met him, but now it was like we were old buddies.

At the end of the day my body would ache from every part. I could barely move my hands. Matthew also said that he would have students attack me out of nowhere and I had to defend myself.

The first couple of times they got me, but as the weeks passed by I was getting better and better. Soon I had the attackers on their backs.

“Boom, you’re dead.” I joked as I had a guy under me. He was breathing as hard as I was. He was a senior in his graduating class. He had me for a couple of seconds but I was able to take control.

I helped him up and he congratulated me. I felt so proud of myself. When I wasn’t training I would talk to Danny. He also made arrangements so that I could meet his wife and his grandkids. I was so excited. I did have family after all, not just Danny, but the whole headquarters was my family. Hellboy, Abraham and Liz were my second family.

I couldn’t wait until I had Jacob back and I could truly be happy. My life would be complete when I had my brother back and my family’s death repaid. I might’ve loved Edward at some point in my unknown life but he also destroyed the only thing that mattered to me, my family.

Things with Allison were more hostile than before. I tried to avoid her as much as I could. I didn’t want to make her mad and give the baby some kind of birth defect. I was still pissed that she lied to me about Matt being the father, but what can you expect from a hormonal mother?

Matt and I were still not together. It just felt weird right now. I needed to focus on my family before I could think about my romantic life or lack of.

He and I would mess around and I mean by joking but nothing else. We had those moments where we would almost kiss, but something or someone would interrupt and we would jump away from each other like a bunch teenagers getting caught by their parents.

I started to look through my things. They say you can tell how a person is by what they listen to. Matt taught me how to use this… ‘Lap top’ and showed me the music I had. Some of them were just of screaming and I could get scared so I lay off those. Then there were those songs that had beautiful lyrics. Then some would be in French or Spanish and I could actually understand them! I was a little freaked out and asked Matt and he saw I spoke over seven languages.

I was walking down the hall one day reading a book from my collections. This one was called ‘Love Letters of Great Men *~*~* Vol. 1’ It was of poems from men like Beethoven or Nathaniel Hawthorne. I was intrigued after I read the first poem.

Currently I was reading Beethoven’s. For a deaf man he sure could write. He knew how to pour his feelings on paper.

I bumped into someone and looked up to apologize. Allison was there with her hand on her hip and tapping her foot.

“Well?” She asked with a nasty attitude. “Move!” She yelled. She was sooooo lucky she was pregnant.

“Allison, I really want us to be friend’s since we’re both living here.” I was trying to be the bigger person, which in age I was a whole lot older than her. Respect your elders, damn it! I had to say that.

She scoffed at what I told her and rolled her eyes. That wasn’t very nice. Here I am trying to make peace with her and she practically slapped me in the face.

“I could never be friends with you. It wouldn’t work.”

“Really? I’m sure if we talked like adults we could find something in common.” I shrugged nonchalant.

“Not while you—“

She stopped and not because I interrupted her, but a sound of water hitting the floor. We both looked down and between her legs were a splash of water. My eyes widen as I realized what had just happened.

We looked at each other.

“Did your…” I started.

“Uh, huh.” She answered.

“Should I?”

She nodded her head vigorously. I helped her as walked towards the clinic. She started to scream and grip my hand tighter. She was in severe pain. She dug her nails into my arm and I barely felt it since she was human, but she was going through the skin.

I felt my blood trickle down. She hugged me half way down and told me she couldn’t walk. I picked her up bridal style. I was slightly surprised when she didn’t weight as I much as she should’ve, but then I remembered I was a vampire.

I’m sure her screams alerted everyone in the building. When I was close to the clinic a stretcher came and I put her down. I was about to let her go when she gripped her arm.

“Stay.” She said through the pain.

I thought about if for a second. She took the energy to ask me so I couldn’t just leave her alone. I nodded and followed the doctors. Matt explained to me that a mortal giving birth to a vampire kid, especially royalty was very dangerous. It could either kill the mother or child if the process doesn’t go smoothly.

The doctors started to work on her. I don’t exactly know what they were doing, but it seems one of them knew what he was doing because he was the one giving out the orders. He was a vampire. Weird. A vampire doctor. He had brown hair and brown eyes.

Allison would scream and squeeze my hand. I told her to squeeze all she wanted and not worry if she did any damage. I switched hands when blood started dripping. I gave her my other hand.

They gave her morphine for the pain and soon she didn’t have to let go of my hand. The doctor told me to follow him. Matt and the others were outside.

“How are they?” Matthew asked me, I shrugged and gestured to the doctor.

The doctor paused, it was that pause that said there wasn’t very good news.

“She’s dying we need to get the baby out, but we need her consent. Someone needs to tell her.”

“I will.” Matt said. Everyone thought it would be best if it was him.

“Doctor.” One of the nurses said sticking her head out. “Allison is asking for Emily, she wishes to speak to her.”

Everyone remained silent. I was a little astonished. Why would she want to speak to me? Matthew and the others told me to go and so I did. I went back inside and Allison had stopped screaming thanks to the morphine.

I stepped next to her. She looked so pale, more than when I left. Her lips were so dry and she looked so tired.

“Hey.” I whispered. She woke up and when she saw me she smiled. I still couldn’t believe that an hour ago she would’ve killed me if she could, now she looked like I was her family.

“I have a favor to ask. I know I’m not going to make it.”

“Don’t be silly, you’ll be out of here in no time.” I plastered a fake smile.

She chuckled. “I know when I’m dying, Emily. Let me talk.” I nodded. She paused to get energy to speak. “I want my child to live… I want you to take care of him.”

My eyes bulged wide. What did she just say?

“I know that about an hour ago I hated you, but… I do love my child and I know you can take care of it. You and… Matt.” There I realized that she really loved Matt. It was no obsession that she had. She really truly loved him. “You can give him a family.”

“Miss, we need to get the baby out now, do we have your consent?” The doctor asked Allison.

She gave me one last look before turning to the doctor and nodding. Weird how rapidly things could change. This morning I woke up hating Allison and now I felt sorry for her. She wouldn’t be able to see her kid grow up. She wouldn’t be there on he’s first day of school or hear his first words.

“He’ll be like my son.” I whispered to her as I held her hand. Tears went down her cheeks in gratitude.

“I’m sorry… that I lied to you about your family’s existence. I was angry and jealous of you.”

“You’re forgiven, don’t worry about it.” I told her. I didn’t notice that I was crying until I felt them hit our hands.

I felt someone touch my shoulder. Without letting go of Allison’s I looked over my shoulder and Matthew had a sympathetic look.

Allison’s heart was beating incredibly fast. As a vampire hearing her heart beat this fast I knew it was only matter of time before it would give out.

Allison started to push and I saw her stomach move and I swear I saw a small hand pressed against it. How could a human get pregnant with a vampire kid?

She started to push and push and her heart was over working. After an hour of pushing I heard the cries of a child. Allison laid back down exhausted. She was beyond pale now. She must’ve lost a lot of blood because she looked paper white like me.

Allison motioned for me and Matthew to get closer. We did. The nurses brought her baby. He looked like Edward as much as I hated to admit. The baby was awake. The nurse handed him to Allison and Allison was crying of joy. She kissed her baby on the forehead. It was really heart aching to watch.

With shaky hands she extended the baby to me.

“Name him… Nicholas.” She smiled. “Nicholas Matthew… Johnson.”

“No, don’t you want him to have your last name?” I asked. She shook her head.

“Your last name will protect him.” She smiled. “Love him like your own.” They were her last words before her heart stopped. I took the baby before she dropped her arms lifeless.

The baby started to cry. A life for a life.