A Thousand Oceans Wide

Happy Birthday

Tom took a deep breath and fumbled with the parcel behind him. Bill stifled a smile and nudged Tom forth and the older twin exhaled before reaching for the doorbell. As he was about to press the button, there was a passionate squeal of excitement from one none other than the little Kaulitz who opened the door.

“Hallo!” Bill exclaimed in great joy, waving small to Markus.

“Papa!” Markus grinned, ignoring Bill for that moment when he spotted Tom right before him. “It’s my birthday today!”

“I knew today was special!” The young father smirked as Markus lunged forward to wrap his arms around his legs.

Tom immediately thrust the birthday package backwards to Bill, and Bill had no choice but to catch it by instinct. He widened his eyes by the reaction displayed by both father and son.

“Ah, so you’re both ignoring me!” Bill faked a pout as he watched Tom scoop Markus up in his arms.

“Uncle Bill is sad,” Tom teased.

Bill winced. “Don’t call me that! It sounds old.”

Markus gave a chorus of bubbly laughter when Tom raised him high up, and the young boy was able to kick at the top of the doorframe. Tom smiled to himself as he placed a generous kiss on Markus’ cheek.

Bill rolled his eyes and shook his head before breaking into a bigger smile when Heidi came by, her hands against the door as she watched Tom and Markus embracing. She never felt more complete watching them together.

“Morning,” she smiled before Tom actually realized her presence. He paused momentarily as he was lost in her light blue eyes, her dark lashes shading them from the sun. This morning, she had him at her smile. Tom couldn’t help but give the stupidest grin.

“Morning,” he said in reply, resting Markus on his arm as the free hand pulled Heidi in for a kiss on the cheek.

Markus’ eyes widened when he saw that Bill was holding wrapped boxes. “Presents?” He asked, pointing at them. “Are they for me?”

Bill smiled and Tom gave Markus a squeeze. “All for you,” Tom said as he mockingly nibbled into his son’s chubby cheeks. “You can open them in the car on the way to the zoo.”

“Yay!” Markus said as he kicked slightly, signaling he wanted to come down. Tom relented, and Bill led the child to the car.

Tom pulled Heidi in for a hug and kissed her chastely on the lips. “All set?” He asked, nose on nose.

Heidi nodded with a creeping smile, “All set.” And from behind her, Maria came from the hallway and brought with her a Spiderman backpack. Tom felt himself blush, embarrassed to be caught canoodling with Maria around.

“These are his things,” Maria smiled, passing Tom the bag.

Tom gave a little sigh accompanied by a smile. “Thank you, Mrs. Schmidt. I’ll take care of them.”

Maria nodded. “I know you will.”

Heidi blushed softly and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek before the family left the house.

Hand in hand, Tom walked Heidi to his Cadillac Escalade. “Did you really get him the PSP?” She asked.

Tom managed a grin. “It was either that or the jungle gym,” he smiled. “But Bill insisted that the PSP was better. I thought of getting the Wii but he said Markus wouldn’t know how to play it yet.”

“That’s so sweet of you,” Heidi gushed, pulling Tom in for a quick kiss on the lips. “I’m sure he’ll love it.”

Tom blushed as he caught sight of Markus as he opened the car door, toying with the PSP box.

“Now, open my present!” Bill clapped his hands enthusiastically. “Go on!”

Heidi laughed as she turned around and watched Markus demolish the wrapping paper.

“Yours is bigger!” Markus piped, shaking Bill’s box harder. “It’s bigger, right?”

Bill laughed. “Of course, it is. The plane is definitely—” And the clumsy twin covered his mouth quickly. “Oops,” Bill bit his lip.

“Plane?” Markus pulled the box out of it’s wrapping. “A plane! A toy airplane!”

Tom, Heidi and Markus all watched as Markus pulled out a toy similar to Jumbie, Bill’s prized toy airplane. The child marveled at the packaging and held his two boxes of presents close.

“My presents!” Mark gave the boxes each a light kiss on its exterior. Tom sighed in silent adoration. It was his son’s fourth birthday, and he felt incredible bringing him out for an outing.

Bill smiled. “Okay, do you like it?” He asked Markus, stroking the boy’s pale blond hair.

“Yes,” Markus nodded, still holding his presents close.

Heidi grinned and looked over at Tom, quietly observing as her boyfriend, the father of her son, watched Markus. She smiled contentedly to herself before turning to the child.

“What do you say to them after you get your presents?” She prodded Markus as any polite mother would.

“Thank you,” Markus smiled, abashed.

“You’re welcome,” Bill and Tom both said at the same time, Bill obviously carrying the more animated tone. Tom was always nervous around being a dad, but he was trying. And he was getting better everyday.

* * *

As soon as they reached the Magdeburg Zoo, Tom, Markus and Heidi bought tickets for entry. Bill had earlier been dropped off at someone’s place, just so the family could have their time.

Heidi wore her sunglasses as Tom told her to. “Are you sure?” She asked. “We can still turn back.”

“It’s fine, babe. I promised to bring him here and here we are,” Tom said. He already had on his Ray Bans. “The most is I’ll call Tobi down. We’ll be fine.”

Heidi sighed as she reached to hold his hands. “Okay. And when have teenagers ever graced the face of the boring old Magdeburg Zoo?” She joked.

Tom smirked, wearing Markus’ cap for the child as he bent down. He looked at Heidi and said, “Never.”

Tom stood up and held his son’s hands. He realized he was too tall, and Markus had to stretch to barely wrap his little fingers around his index finger. And he also realized with Heidi’s similar height, Markus was definitely growing up to be a towering young man. Tom grinned at the thought.

Heidi smiled to herself. “Do you want your stroller?” She asked Markus when the child was swaying about in between them.

The child shook his head. “No,” Markus answered smartly, acting like a big boy. He stuck out his lower lip as he glanced around. “I want to walk.”

Markus pulled away from both Tom and Heidi’s grip and stopped walking. The two young parents paused in their tracks and looked at the child, confused. A moment later, Markus reached for his parents’ hands at the same time, slowly and gently. He held them tightly and suspended himself from it.

“Good,” Heidi laughed. She looked at Tom, grinning when he showed the same reaction. She loved the elation he projected, both Tom and Markus.

“Right. Here we go,” Tom said. “I got the tram tickets, too.”

Markus gave a loud cheer as they went through the entrance. Tom looked around and thankfully, there were merely tourists and young families. The local zoo wasn’t the most popular one, so Tom was glad to fulfill Markus’ wishes of going to a zoo, but still keeping the whole family idea a secret.

* * *

“What’s that?” Markus pointed to a furry animal swimming underwater. He pressed his hands against the cold glass aquarium as Tom and Heidi closed up behind their son.

Tom smiled. “I think it’s a bear,” he said, crossing his arms.

“No,” Markus grinned. He looked as the large, white animal did a few turns and resurfaced. “It’s a polar bear.”

“It is?” Tom gasped. “But I thought it was a koala bear!”

Markus gave a small giggle and shook his head at his father. “No, it’s a polar bear!”

The child turned to find Heidi right beside him and he gave his mother a hug around her legs. Tom got on one knee beside his son and smiled down at Markus.

“Polar bear, it is,” Tom said as he rubbed the boy’s back. He took a picture with his digital camera of Markus beside the aquarium, and he turned to snap one of Heidi.

He didn’t really care if there was anyone around. They were all probably too busy with their own children to care about him. He had to be wary of teenage girls, though.

Heidi smiled down on the both of them, and bent forward to give Markus a peck on the head. “So do you want to see the monkeys now?” she asked.

“Yes!” Markus yelled. “I love monkeys!”

Tom stifled a smirk, unable to help himself from giving a comment that his son probably wouldn’t comprehend. “Then you’ll love Paul Frank and Bathing Ape.”

* * *

Heidi and Tom released Markus’ hands and off the child went to the children’s playground. They watched as Markus approach the ladder with care as he was a bit shocked by the shouting children already occupying the area.

“Be careful,” Heidi said, crossing her arms, the Spiderman backpack over one shoulder. Tom had Markus’ water bottled slung over his as well, and they watched as their little creation crossed a bridge to get to the slides after finishing his ice cream.

The blond-haired, brown-eyed boy marched up more steps, following the steps of an older child in front of him, and a few others behind followed. It was amazing to Tom how the mentality of a child was. He never knew he would experience these things from a father’s point of view so early, but he was having no regrets. The young man was savoring every moment.

There was awkward silence in between the youthful couple as they stared at their son for the first few minutes. Tom was just overwhelmed by the sounds the children made, but Heidi was too used to it. It was like an everyday thing that she heard screams and squeals of excitement.

Tom watched as Markus went down the slide for the sixth time, and he realized he was slightly bored of it. He finally remembered that he had Heidi to talk to, who was right beside him. Secretly, he stared at her from the corner of his eyes.

Heidi tilted her head to a side as she watched the children. Some were just joining, others were leaving. It was such a fine, cloudy day and it was mid-afternoon. She loved the atmosphere, and she was glad that she was here with her own complete family. Much to her obliviousness, Tom was staring at her.

Tom smirked and took a step closer. The spot they were at, under a shady tree, was perfect for them, which was away from the sun. “You really do like children, don’t you?” He said randomly, eyes on other children for once, because Markus was going down the slide for the eighth time as he counted.

The blond-haired young woman turned to look at Tom. The slight blush in her cheeks made her look especially appealing. Her motherliness made Tom shiver positively. “Children?” She answered. “I had to get used to them ever since that boy came along.”

“Right,” Tom gave an awkward laugh. He looked at her when he did. “Are you…expecting more?”

Heidi was turning away when Tom shot that question. She was slightly bemused, and she turned to face Tom a bit from the corner of her eyes, making it look like a coy stare. “What exactly are you saying, Tom?”

Tom bit his lip ring and smiled smugly, giving a lazy shrug. “Um, I was just wondering if you’d like a big family or is one kid enough for you?”

Heidi stared at Tom for a while before rolling her eyes, half-laughing. “Do you know me or do you not know me?”

“I do know you,” Tom insisted, laughing along. He blushed just slightly, embarrassed at how the question ended up sounding so weird. “I meant if you’re going to want more than one child. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make it sound so weird.”

“I know,” Heidi said, slipping and arm around Tom’s and they were hip-to-hip, facing the playground. “The answer to that is, it depends on who the father is, and if he’s capable of being responsible for more than one. Marki is quite a handful sometimes.”

Tom smiled shyly, looking away from his girlfriend, over at the water pool where some other children were splashing about in. “Just pretend I never asked that,” he said.

Heidi frowned, pouting against Tom’s shoulder. “Why? But you’ve already asked, and it’s already been answered,” she teased him.

“I think your son’s father should be handsome, seeing how good-looking he is. And such blond hair. It would be dirty blond at least, by the time he’s our age,” Tom said.

Heidi raised her eyebrows, tugging at Tom’s arm. “Why, that is extremely out of point, mister,” she laughed.

Tom rolled his eyes as he did the same. “I never do get to the point, do I?” He said as he took out his camera.

“Good you know,” Heidi laughed. She gave him a spontaneous kiss on the cheek and Tom managed to kiss her back on the lips. The both of them shared a long kiss as little children around them played and ran around.

Heidi pulled back when she heard Markus calling her. Tom took the time to take a few pictures of his son running around.

“Mami, mami!” Markus said. “I want to go to the water!”

Tom looked at where Markus was pointing, and Heidi was looking at. The baby pool with animal statues spraying water.

“You’ll have to take off your shoes,” Heidi said, beckoning Markus over. “And your socks.”

Markus came running over, grabbing onto Tom’s jeans and raising a leg up high. “Take them off for me?” He looked at Tom with a big, pleading smile.

Heidi looked at Tom and shrugged with a smile. “He asked you,” she said.

Tom smirked and pulled Markus with him to a nearby bench. He pulled the boy up to sit on his lap and pulled off his shoes and put them beside him. “If you see anything that is not supposed to be on the floor like rocks and sharp things, don’t step on them, okay?”

Markus nodded, holding onto Tom’s neck as the older Kaulitz pulled off his socks.

“I want to hear you say okay,” Tom reaffirmed. “Don’t step on scary-looking things, yes? Say okay if you know what I’m sayi—”

“Okay, yes!” Markus jumped on Tom’s lap a few times, making the young father’s eyes bulge. A four-year-old sounded small and light, but Markus wasn’t. He was definitely growing. “Okay, yes! Okay, yes!”

“Okay, yes! Now, come down,” Tom faked a pathetic pout as he put the child down. Markus ran away from his parents and into the pool.

Heidi snorted softly as soon as Markus disappeared. Tom widened his eyes and turned to see his Heidi laughing at him. He pulled her down to his laps. “What’s so funny?” he asked, pinching her cheek.

“Your face,” she said. “And how you told him not to step on anything sharp and scary-looking and something. I never thought you were that thoughtful.”

Tom narrowed his gaze at her and pinched both her cheeks, making Heidi close her eyes tight. “You doubt my fatherliness?”

“Ow!” Heidi yelped softly, laughing as she pushed his hands away. “Well, I used to.”

Tom sighed and gave a smile, his arms around his girlfriend’s waist as he leaned against her chest. “Just don’t doubt my manliness.”

Heidi scoffed, “Oh, yeah. Right.”

Tom looked at her with big eyes. “Are you wanting me to prove it to you?”

“Um, I think you’ve done that before,” Heidi gave a half-smile as she fingered the hem of Tom’s oversized shirt.

“Oh,” Tom blushed. “Yeah.”

The girl smirked and got off Tom’s laps and sat beside him, crossing her leg. She watched quietly as Markus got all wet. Tom’s eyes dilated when he realized that Markus was soaking wet from head to toe. His hair was darker and flat against his face, and his shirt and pants were stuck to his skin.

“Oh, shit,” Tom cursed. “Is he supposed to get that wet?”

Heidi looked at Tom and laughed, holding his hands. He instinctively interlinked their fingers. “Yeah,” Heidi laughed. “That’s why he’s got extra clothing in his bag. I’ve got to bathe him later.”

Tom raised his eyebrows, nodding. “Oh,” he said, before starting to laugh as it all made sense. “So that’s why they have so many bags here and there.”

“Yeah,” Heidi said. She leaned against Tom and looked at Markus wade around on his stomach in the shallow pool. Tom smiled to himself as he watched the boy splash around. Once again, he was amazed that he now had a son to call his own.

Tom was lost in his thoughts of fatherhood and how it was treating him before his phone made a sound. He read the message, and realized Bill was being easily distracted once again, asking how the outing was.

Heidi laughed when she read it. “He’s so cute,” she said. “It’s like he always wants to know what we’re doing.”

Tom rolled his eyes. “He wants security camera on us, and he’d do that if he could, I think.”

“Oh, Tom,” Heidi smirked. “Just tell him we’re fine.”

“Okay,” Tom grinned and typed a quick message to Bill before keeping his phone. He turned to take Markus’ shoes and socks and put them on his lap. He saw that Heidi was looking and he quickly provided an explanation.

“Just in case,” he smiled.

Heidi bit her lip in total adoration of this one Tom Kaulitz. “You’re amazing, Tom,” she said.

Tom stifled a shy smile. “Yeah, I know,” he managed a rather cocky reply.

Heidi rolled her eyes at Tom, and he quickly kissed her temple, knocking his nose against the top of her head.

“Ow,” she remarked instinctively. No, there wasn’t pain. It was the abruptness that surprised her.

“What?” Tom said, lips lingering close to her collarbone.

“Nothing,” Heidi said. “I’m hungry.”

“As hungry as a…?” Tom smiled.

Heidi narrowed her gaze. “Lion,” she answered.

Tom snorted, nuzzling against her cheek softly. “Okay, lioness,” he said. “Maybe we should go now. I’ve got the guys waiting to pass Marki his presents.”

“They got him presents?” Heidi’s eyes brightened.

“They insisted,” Tom said. “Georg, Gustav, my mom and Gordon…and Gordon, Nathalie and some others who aren’t in town.”

“Sounds like the whole crew got something for him,” Heidi smiled, rubbing Tom’s hand with her thumb. “Okay,” she said, standing up. “And I’m not your lioness, am I?”

The young woman waited not one second for Tom to respond, and she walked off to the pool as she pulled the backpack and opened it to pull out a towel.

Tom smirked, noticing Heidi’s growing coyness. He stood up and went after her. “Not yet, but you’d make a very good one,” he whispered into her ear from behind her, arms around her waist.

Heidi blushed and wriggled a bit in his embrace, embarrassed when some parents looked at her. She knew it was because they were extremely young, and they had a child in their care. Not to mention, she was being extremely touchy with Tom in front of children in public. It was definitely going to be eye-catching.

“Stop it,” Heidi stifled a laugh before pulling his hands away. “There are people.”

Tom grinned. “Screw them,” he said. “But I’d love an audience.”

Heidi winced and blushed at the same time, smacking his hand before pushing him away again. “Markus!” She called her son. “Come on, let’s go have dinner!”

Once again, more parents looked at them. Dinner when it was barely five in the afternoon? Heidi sighed softly and waited as Markus continued to play around.

“Everyone’s staring, but I don’t care. They’re old,” Tom said as he pulled Heidi with him back to the bench.

Heidi narrowed her gaze at Tom. “So you’re saying when we’re old, we’d be like them?”

“Definitely…not!” Tom laughed, wrapping his arms tight around Heidi’s waist. “Our little rockstar would have the coolest parents ever. Coolest dad, I mean.” Tom stared at Heidi from the corner of his eyes, waiting for her reaction.

Heidi frowned and stared at Tom. “Oh, right. Again.”

Tom laughed and pecked her lips. “And the sweetest mother.”

Heidi smirked. “Don’t be disgusting,” she pushed him off.

“Can’t, sorry,” Tom said, tightening his grip around her waist. “I’m like that—”

“Markus!” Heidi shouted across to her son. Markus looked up from covering the statue seal’s mouth shooting water. “Come here! Let’s go!”

“Wait!” Markus yelled back in a high-pitched voice, proceeding to climbing on the statue. “One more time!’

Heidi sighed and slouched, but Tom pushed her upright again. “We can wait a while more,” he said. “But we have to do something. I’d grow bored if I watch anymore children swimming around in their normal clothing.”

Heidi laughed a bit. “Do what?”

Tom shrugged. “Do…stuff,” he smirked, leaning close to her face. Heidi looked at Markus, seeing that he was going down the short water slide and screaming in joy.

“I guess we could,” she said before turning to Tom, holding his cheeks as he tilted her up by lifting her chin.

“Good,” Tom smiled, immediately going for the French kiss with his Heidi which they shared sweetly in the presence of many unsuspecting little zoo-goers.

* * *

“Quick,” Heidi laughed, motioning to Markus. “Take him upstairs!”

Tom gave a slight chuckle as Markus tugged at his pants, beckoning him up the stairs. “Come! Come upstairs!”

Markus grinned, his body at an angle as he pulled at Tom’s hand.

“What are we going to do?” Tom asked, trudging up the stairs with Markus pulling him excitedly, leading him to Heidi’s bedroom.

“Markus needs a good shower,” Heidi smirked as she prepared the towel and clothes for their son.

Markus asked, “Can I play in the bathtub? Please?”

Tom carried Markus onto the bed. “You’re the birthday boy, rockstar. If you want bubbles and stuff, you’ll have it. Your mommy can’t say no to you today,” he said, pulling off Markus’ shirt. He threw Heidi a smirk and grinned after.

Markus piped up, “Yay!” And he quickly got out of his pants.

Heidi winced and broke into a smile. “Don’t tell him that,” she said, hitting Tom with the towel.

“And he can bathe with his toys and whatever you have there in that box there,” Tom motioned to a toy chest and Markus let out another cheer. “Imagine swimming with your gun—”

A hand soon covered Tom’s mouth.

“Hey!” Heidi’s eyes widened, jaw dropped as she kept back her laughter. “Stop giving him ideas! He’s very easily influenced.”

“Okay, okay,” Tom laughed, bringing Markus down. As soon as he let the boy go, the child headed for his toy chest and started pulling out toy cars.

“Marki!” Heidi pouted. “Just one car. That’s all.” And she looked at Tom as she followed Markus into the bathroom, Tom in tow. “Do you know? Markus has been using ‘totally’ none stop for the period you guys were away.”

“Why does that sound so much like Bill?” Tom raised an eyebrow. His eyes were fixed on Heidi but his hands were involved with getting Markus into the bathtub.

Heidi smirked. “Exactly,” she said. “He’s stopped now, though. It was funny while it lasted!”

The girl turned on the tap and sat down along the tub as Tom sat beside her. Tom watched silently as Markus started splashing around in the slowly filling water tub.

Heidi adjusted the temperature before sitting back down and watching her son. It only a few weeks ago when Markus cried because Tom was in America, and she felt happier now, knowing that Tom wasn’t anywhere but here.

She felt the silence getting to her while Markus played with his toy car. The young woman turned to Tom. “Are you just going to sit there?” She laughed.

Tom raised an eyebrow. “Am I not?”

“Of course you are,” Heidi said, passing Tom the bottle of tear-free shampoo. “You’ll start with this.”

Tom took it, squirting some onto Markus’ hair. “Like that?”

“Okay!” Heidi laughed. “That’s enough. And you’re supposed to rub it into his hair. You can wash his body with that, too. Now, Marki, don’t move. Let Tom do his job.”

Tom looked at Markus, giving a smile. He started to shampoo his hair. “Like that?” He asked again.

Heidi nodded, biting back laughter. “Like that,” she said.

Markus didn’t look up until he heard his mother laugh. The child broke in a small laughter, simply dissolving himself in his mother’s sweet laughter. It brightened him up without fail, and he was sure he had never seen Heidi happier.

Tom laughed when he caught Heidi and Markus’ little smiles. “You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?” He said to Heidi. “And you, you little thing.”

Tom, being playful, dotted Markus’ nose with suds. The young boy let out an almost ear-piercing squeal, and Tom withdrew slightly, his hands retracted against his chest in shock.

“Hey!” Markus giggled, rubbing the foam off his nose. And he proceeded to splashing about again.

“Hey—” Tom cut his sentence short. His warning about not wanting Markus to splash at him was redundant now. He let out a sigh through a smile with eyes closed and hands in midair. “Never mind.”

Tom licked his lips and gave a half-hearted laugh as he felt water seeping through his jeans and onto his thighs. His shirt wasn’t spared, either.

“Oops,” Heidi bit her lip, smirking. And she splashed some at Tom as well. Markus followed his mother, thrashing about wildly in the tub before falling flat on his stomach.

Tom was laughing, but was cut short when he was taken aback by the sudden slip Markus had. “Oh, crap,” Tom clicked his tongue and immediately scooped his son up to sit properly again.

Markus had a red spot on his head with his face all stunned, but Heidi quickly grinned and laughed. Markus inevitably broke into a similar sounding chorus of giggling.

“I told you, baby, we needed to get you that non-slip mat,” Heidi grinned, pinching Markus’ cheek before rubbing the forehead gently.

Tom blinked and looked at the two people he was conversing with. “That was interesting,” he admitted. “You act like this happens often.”

Heidi smiled sheepishly, not minding the moistness that Markus was causing her attire. “Actually,” she said, “he does this a lot. That’s what…children do.”

“Fool around, get hurt and get all happy again?” Tom smiled.

Heidi made a face and laughed. “Well, yeah,” she said. “Something like that.”

“But I noticed…the only reason he laughed instead of cried was because you started laughing first,” Tom said thoughtfully. He narrowed his gaze at Heidi and smiled.

“You think so?” Heidi asked, cocking her head to one side.

“It’s nice,” Tom said, giving Heidi a warm gaze. “He really listens to you, follows you. He’s really… God, Heidi. He’s so…”

Heidi smiled when Tom shivered and shrugged at the same time. “He’s so what?”

“He’s so special,” Tom finally managed to say. It wasn’t the word he was looking for, but it was the closest. He gave a little sigh. “He looks up to you.”

“Even more so, really, since he started to call me his mother,” Heidi admitted.

Tom looked at her intently. “You think he likes me, too?” He asked softly as Markus embrace the water sprinkler from above him.

Heidi looked at Tom. “He does,” she said. “He loves you.”

“How do you know that?” Tom played with his lip ring.

“The fact that he’s much more naughty when my father handles him nowadays, I’m sure that in his eyes, you, Tom, hold more respect than any other man in his heart right now.”

Tom stared wordlessly at his girlfriend. He couldn’t respond immediately as thoughts flowed about endlessly in his head. If only Bill was here, he would have told his younger brother everything he was thinking. How great it felt to be so highly thought of by a little human being, and not just because he was Tom from Tokio Hotel or something. Only because he was Tom, Markus’ father.

He broke into an abashed smile. “That gave me goosebumps,” he smirked, albeit shyly. “You guys make me feel so much more than I ever did, in honest truth.”

“I’ll take it as that is a good thing,” Heidi blushed. “You know I love you. He loves you, too.”

Tom immersed himself in the warmth of Heidi’s words. “God knows how much you two mean to me,” he said. He looked at Markus and prodded his nose. “I love you, Markus Kaulitz.”

Markus looked at Tom after a while, the grin plastered on his face as he splashed around.

“I love you,” Tom repeated. Heidi smiled.

“I love you,” Markus said, more of mimicking than actually saying it. To Tom, it meant a lot.

“You love your father, don’t you, Markus?” Heidi said, rubbing the child’s body with more soap as the water filled up.

Markus, though distracted, mustered an audible ‘yes’ through all the watery sounds.

Heidi rubbed Tom’s thigh, and Tom tapped the bottom of her chin and grinned. The young parents smiled softly as their gaze landed on their one little boy, the birthday child who’s yet to blow out the candles on his cake.

* * *

Tom eagerly waited as Simone brought the cake out from the freezer. Bill and Heidi were busy busying Markus with the presents, and Gordon was tuning his acoustic guitar last minute.

“Four candles, right there,” Maria smiled, pointing, and Simone followed her trace to place the candles appropriately.

“It’s a beautiful cake,” Simone smiled.

Maria returned a similar look, wrinkles gracefully around her eyes. “My friend is a great cake maker,” she said. “And Markus loves strawberries and ice cream, so it’s pretty much the perfect cake, right, Tom?”

Tom was surprised to hear his name being brought up so suddenly. He was holding the camera in one hand, and he grinned in reply. “As perfect as who it’s meant for,” he said sheepishly while taking pictures of the cake and the two middle-aged grandmothers together.

“So sweet,” Maria laughed, taking the lighter. And she went to get some plates.

Simone couldn’t help but stifle a few tears. Tom caught her tearing up and immediately rubbed her back and gave her a hug.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

Simone nodded. “I’m still so amazed,” she said. “It’s… Oh, Tom. I know, I know. You think I’m overreacting as usual but it’s only natural a mother feels this way when she knows her son’s…got a son!”

Tom chuckled almost soundlessly. “Okay, yes,” he said. “I’m trying, ma. I don’t do much yet, but I know it’ll all come to me sooner or later. I know you’re happy for me.”

“I am,” Simone said. “Bill wouldn’t stop talking about his little nephew when he came home today. And every time I look at Markus, I see your eyes. And nose. And Heidi’s jaw. And lips. He’s such a handsome version of you.”

Tom scowled for a moment before sticking his tongue out briefly. “He’s my son, and he’s got good looking parents. What did you expect?” He smirked.

Simone touched Tom’s cheeks. “I expect more from the both of you.”

Tom raised an eyebrow. “More?”

“More than just a few months and a few hugs and kisses. Markus can’t do with just his mother.”

“So,” Tom said. “My fate’s sealed, then?”

Simone frowned, and Tom immediately grinned. “Tom,” Simone said firmly.

“I know, I know,” he chortled. “Ma, you know me. I won’t give up on things so easily.”

“You were always the more sensitive one, you know,” Simone smiled. “I know you know what to do, so I won’t be that typical nagging mother biting at your tail.”

“Thank you,” Tom nodded. “Just what I needed. And this.”

Tom raised his camera and smiled, and Simone flashed a brilliant grin.

“Thanks,” the older Kaulitz twin said, giving Simone a kiss on the cheek before Maria came back with the china.

“Did I miss anything?” Maria asked, taking the forks and napkins.

Simone laughed. “The usual mother-son talk,” she winked and the next moment, Bill came in on his toes like an excited pixie.

“What’s that I see on the counter?” Bill grinned. He went over beside Tom and read the words saying a happy fourth birthday to the child. “Aw. It’s been years since I went to a kid’s birthday party!”

“Full of adults,” Tom said. He glanced out at the living room before looking at Bill. “Is Markus and Heidi ready?” He asked.

Bill nodded. “We’re hungry and waiting!”

Bill ignited the lighter and started lighting the candles one by one as Simone held up the cake.

“Why don’t you let Tom hold the cake, ma?” Bill suggested.

Maria and Simone laughed. “Good idea,” Simone said before turning to Tom.

“But I want to take pictures!” Tom insisted.

Maria took the camera. “I’m a photographer,” she said. “Trust me.”

Tom smiled and shrugged. “I trust you,” he smirked before taking the rectangular ice cream cake on his palms.

“Quick!” Bill piped up. “It’s melting!”

* * *

“Happy Birthday to Markus,” everyone sang to the tune of a gentle strumming provided by Gordon. “Happy Birthday to you!”

Markus had his mouth wide opened as he watched his father present the cake before him, putting it on the dining table as the adults crowded around.

Tom could feel that Maria really was taking a ton of pictures, and he tried to act normal. This was a family occasion, and he felt extremely normal. Like a normal person. Not like it was some corporate party, or a party with fans.

It was his son’s birthday party.

Heidi beamed when she saw how Markus shone, his fair face being illuminated by the candlelight.

“Make a wish, baby,” Heidi said as she kissed his cheek.

Markus covered his eyes with his hands and said out loud, “I wish…

“Don’t wish for more toys!” Gordon chimed in. “Because your father will definitely shower you with them in time to come.”

Everyone laughed, and Tom blushed.

Markus’ lips formed an ‘o’ and he started again. “I wish…”

“Something about your parents, Marki!” Bill piped before being slapped on the shoulder by Simone.

“Let the child make his own wish, Billa,” Simone said.

Bill bit back a smile as he nodded briefly.

“I wish…” Markus started. Heidi wondered if Markus was going to wish that they would stay together forever. Tom wondered if Markus was going to wish for them at all. “I wish for my mami and papa to bring me out everyday until school finishes!”

Everyone looked at Markus, befuddled. “What?” Philipp couldn’t help but snort. “Marki, that’s an interesting wish.”

“…To bring you out everyday, until school finishes?” Bill raised an eyebrow before laughing. Tom smiled, and Heidi grinned. “Which means they’ll bring you out until you don’t have to study any more in life?”

“That works,” Simone smirked. Heidi and Tom were blushing softly. “I’m sure your parents would love to take you out everyday.”

Markus looked at Bill like he didn’t make sense at all. “No,” Markus smiled sheepishly. “I want them to bring me out during school so my friends have to study and I don’t. And then when school finishes, they can bring me home!”

The adults burst into laughter once more. “Oh, the mind of a four-year-old!” Simone wiped the tears from her eyes. Gordon and Philipp shared a deep-voiced chuckle and Bill smirked.

“I’m sure your wish will be granted,” Bill grinned. “It just depends how the wish master takes it!”

“The wish master?” Markus looked at Bill quizzically as the mothers took the cake and started slicing it.

Tom looked at Markus. “You and your nonsense,” he said to Bill.

“You and your nonsense!” Markus repeated, and Heidi’s eyes widened with a smirk.

“I told you so,” Heidi said, laughing as she pulled Markus in for a hug and kiss.

“I told you so!” Markus piped, and Bill giggled.

Tom took his camera from Maria and set it on self-timer. And then he stood for a while, thinking about it before saying, “Can you take a picture for us?” He asked.

“What?” Bill said. “Don’t you have self-timer set?”

“Take for us,” Tom repeated, making it sound like a demand now. Bill rolled his eyes and took the camera from Tom.

“Fine,” Bill said.

Tom grinned. “Thank you,” he said. And he settled Markus on the chair that was right in front of him so the child was standing on it. His other hand pulled Heidi in, and the family of three smiled as Bill counted.

“Cheese!” Markus grinned, holding his parents’ arms tightly around his neck.

“Shit,” Bill murmured. “You set the stupid self-timer. Now, you shall wait ten seconds. Smart, Tomi. Smart.”

“And you shall hold still!” Heidi laughed. Tom smirked as he rubbed Markus’ hair and smoothened it as the flashing of the timer went on. “Hold still!” Heidi said, and Tom gave her a quick kiss just as the camera flashed.

Tom’s eyes widened when Bill laughed. “Hey, I wasn’t ready!” He said. “I thought you said ten seconds!”

“And apparently, I accidentally switched it to five,” Bill said. “Do you want another one? Actually, this one is…super sweet!”

The younger twin pursed his lips out in awe of the impromptu action Tom did with Heidi. Bill brought the camera to Heidi and Tom.

“Wow,” Heidi laughed.

Tom smiled and shrugged. “I’m keeping it.”

“Of course, you are!” Bill rolled his eyes.

“I want to see!” Markus exclaimed, tiptoeing and pulling the camera strap down. Bill gasped at the boy’s strength as he lowered himself to show the picture.

“Like it?” Bill asked.

Markus grinned and jumped on the chair a few times. “Yes! Again! Again, please?” He smiled at Bill sweetly.

Bill took another picture, and Simone approached them with their cake. “Wait,” Simone said. “One whole family picture,” she said. “Yes? Come on! Gather!”

Simone, Maria, Gordon, Philipp, Heidi, Tom and Markus all settled by the dining table as Bill arranged the camera on self-timer by the fireplace.

“Prepare!” Bill warned. “I’m pressing! I pressed it!” He came running back in place.

Tom held Heidi in his arms as they stood behind their son, Markus. Simone and Gordon stood on Tom’s side, and Maria and Philipp lined along beside Heidi. Bill quickly ran over to Gordon’s side, right at the edge of the picture.

“Everyone, smile!” Heidi laughed, feeling Tom’s arms around her waist tighter, and his other hand was on Markus’ stomach.

“Smile!” Markus added, grinning really widely.

Tom stared in silent thought at his little camera as Bill went to retrieve it. It held so many memories dear to him, but nothing compared to what newly found treasures he held in his arms.