Amber Quay

Chapter Two: The Search Begins...

“Sooty, stay,” I commanded, as I pulled on my gumboots and raincoat. My silky, black dog whined and barked to come with me. But something about the dream scared me this time, and there was no way I was going to put Sooty in any danger.

“Rory,” I screamed against raging wind and slashing rain, my hood pulled over my face.

“Rory,” I called again and again, my voice totally lost in the storm. Where could he be? “Rory!” I was hoarse as I clambered and stumbled through long, wet grass and rocks to get to the top of the cliff.

I imagined what I would find there. Rory’s lightning-charred remains, Rory’s twisted, broken body smashed on the rocks, scorch marks on the ground showing where a UFO has landed.

Memories of Rory’s laughing face filled my mind. “Hey sis, let’s race the wind” he’d say, as he sat behind me on Sunny, the sturdy chestnut pony we shared. “Do you think we’ll ever travel to the stars Chelsea?” he ‘d ask as we lay on our backs, staring up at the bright, night sky.

I started to cry. Rory might be really dum sometimes, but he was still my brother, my little brother and I felt responsible for him. If he was dead then it was all my fault! I should have told him about the dream. But how did I know it would turn out to be true?

“RORY!” I screamed.

The wind whistled, battering me with sharp shards of rain. I heard nothing.