The Art of Drowning

Boys Don't Cry

I showed him around the school like Mrs. Paton asked and went back to studying. I yawned and rested my head on my notebook like I had done since the first of the year, but something woke me.
The fire bell.
Everyone in the class began to panick as the Science teacher, Mr. H, tried to calm them down. It wasn't a fire drill or we would've been warned, and it wouldn't happen so close to dismissal.
I got up from my seat and ran for the door, unlike Brandy and her friend, who were just hugging eachother.

"Everyone, remain calm!" Mr. H shouted and everyone listened. He was the tallest teacher in the school and Hell knows, he could probably kick our asses. He made us line up and exit the school in an "orderly" fashion and I ended up standing beside Brandy.

"Hey, Jade! Guess what," she said and nudged my shoulder. I ignored her but it didn't stop her from answering.

"Your t-shirt sucks!"

I looked down at the shirt I was wearing. Then at hers.

"Atleast I don't like crappy boy bands," I stated and giggled at her Backstreet Boys t-shirt.
"They're not crappy! Nick Carter rocks..."

I sighed as I heard the firetrucks coming and closed my eyes.
'I should've just stayed in the school....' I thought. 'Much better than being tortured...'

"Hey, Jade!" I heard from behind me and I turned around. Davey walked toward me.

"Haven't you figured out by now that I don't want to see you anymore today?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Nope."

I rolled my eyes and ignored every word he said after. When the fire was out, we were told we could go home.

I got my things and walked down the path through the woods, which I took everyday to avoid being bullied. I walked with my head down and my hair covered my face. My "skunk mullet" or "mullet hawk" was brown with one part bleached. I liked it very much, besides all the name calling and being nicknamed "Skunk".
I sighed remembering times when looks didn't matter, just personality. But that was years ago, when I was 9 and under.
'Hey, Jade! Wanna play ball!' I reminisced the first time I was every excluded from something. 'Catch!'
The ball hit me in the face. It was supposed too.

I could almost cry, but I remembered what my dad told me.
Boys don't cry.

My heart was breaking. I knew it. My family knew it. And what I had of friends knew it.

Image