The Art of Drowning

Ghosts

Who could the woman be? A ghost, or merely a whisper in the wind?

"Who's there?" I asked again at my surroundings, the forest trees and grass.

Nothing.

I got up and decided to travel further into the woods, but where to go?
I was trapped in a circle of trees. They were on either side of me. Left and right.

"Jade...." I heard again, but it wasn't the female voice I heard before. It was.... Davey.

"Davey?" I asked and turned around. There he was standing in front of me. His hair was a mess though and he looked like hadn't had time to put any make up on. "How did you find me here?" I asked when I turned fully around, but he was gone.

Just a dream?

Was I imagining it?

Why would I have imagined Davey? Why not mom?
I had so many questions I knew wouldn't be answered. I shrugged it off and decided I'd go past a few trees that were very loosely together. There seemed to be a trillion different paths but I went where ever my feet took me.

I took deep breaths in and out, reminding myself that no one back home really cared.
Nobody.
I should have just gotten it over with from the start. When I had the chance.
The razorblade.
It made me sad to think I would even think of suicide.

Something caught my attention from the corner of my eye that brought me from my thoughts. A pale white figure passed through the empty woods. A ghost?
I stopped a second and looked around.
Nothing.
Then I saw it again.

"Who's there?!" I demanded. I just felt the breeze.

Silence.

"Grrr.... This is killing me!" I shouted and dropped to my knees, pulling my hair. I stopped and took a deep breath from anger and lied on my back.

What's going on?