Vanilla Lace

Phantasmagoria

Bill Kaulitz. Young, sweet and innocent. He was close to his twin brother, Tom. They did everything together, and sometimes, they could understand each other without even saying a single word. Bill would sit quietly on his bed, not really understanding why their parents weren't together anymore. Tom would hold Bill close and whispers sweet words, telling him everything was going to be fine. They moved to a countryside with their new father when he turned ten during an early September. Bill didn't like the new place, just like Tom. They never fit in with the people there.

"I don't like this place," Bill mumbled, staring out the window. They had only been here two weeks.

Tom looked at his brother like it was the hundredth time he said that. "I know you do, and so do I. Mom promised us we're moving soon, so we'll just have to get used to it for now."

"The kids hate us," Bill said softly, eyes still fixed on outside. The sun was setting, and that was the only beautiful part about this place. It had a gorgeous view of the horizon.

"We hate them, too," Tom said. "So we're even." The older twin was playing his guitar. "It's hot here, I'm going to the living room."

Bill didn't feel hot. He didn't feel warmth. It was cold to him, and he let his brother go about with his own business. The younger stayed at his window. The things he saw were village houses and lots of greenery. There was one place, however, that Bill like a lot and that was the old chapel that stood standing at the edge of the little town. The only building in that quiet village that caught Bill's eye.

Being given the authority, Bill was allowed to roam around on his own like Tom, as long as they kept out of trouble. He had always seen the church from afar but never entered it. At that dawn, Bill decided to go there. He locked his room and climbed out secretly from his window before cycling to the town square. It was there he had seen the church, but it was a distance away and he had to just find his way through the dimly lit streets of Halle.

The cobbled road was difficult to cycle past when the church came into a closer view, and Bill was excited about going on. It was a Tuesday evening and the town was lifeless. The young boy read the sign: Marktkirche Unser Lieben Frauen zu Halle. Halle Market Church of Our Loving Womankind.

There was no one guarding the place. Bill was ever curious, and he pushed open the front door. Before him was a candlelit display of the most beautiful sacredness he had ever laid his eyes upon. The dark blue and royal gold detailed ceiling was an amazing web of diamonds and lines that looked like a spider's web. There was an old organ in the middle at the far end, and Bill's face brightened up. To his surprise, there was not a single soul in sight.

Bill wondered for a brief moment if Tom was looking for him, but he forgot all about it when he noticed something pass him like a wandering shadow. He was scared stiff for a split second, not knowing what it was. The place was poorly lit because they used candles everywhere, and to him, the ghostly figure deemed him a shocked mute.

"Hello?" Bill spoke up, looking around, eyes straining to adapt to the darker corners. Suddenly, a new unburned black candle rolled across the floor for pew to pew, making Bill jump in response before it hit him. The boy was scared, and it showed in his already pale face. "Who's there?" he said, looking at the floors.

Bill swore he heard a giggle, like that of a little girl. Out of the blue appeared exactly what he pictured, a young one just like him. She had mahogany-colored hair down to the small of her back tied up in a beautiful French braid with a black ribbon at the end that flowed down over her right shoulder. She had on a small black dress and shiny black Mary Janes with white laced socks, and the girl offered a smile. In her hand was the candle she picked up after scaring him.

"Hi," Bill said. The girl didn't respond. Her sea blue eyes captivated the young Bill, and he couldn't resist a smile when she offered a bigger one. Then, she wordlessly turned away towards the organ. "Do you live here?" he asked, curious as he followed after her, looking around.

The girl didn't answer, again, and when Bill looked at her, she was nodding.

"That's so cool," Bill muttered under his breath as he grinned. "I wouldn't mind living in this church. It's amazing." The girl sat at the organ and moved in so Bill could sit with her if she wanted to. He found her intriguing with the fact that she didn't say a single word. "Can you talk?"

The girl nodded as she put the black candle atop the organ and started playing a simple piece that enchanted Bill. He always wanted to play the piano, but he couldn't and here he was in front of a magical organ. The young boy let his eyes roam the other in great curiosity. She was fair and delicate, and her hair was sweet-smelling and intoxicating. The mere sight of her made him feel light and happy, though it had been merely a few minutes since they met.

When she was done, he gave a soft laugh and said. "You're very good."

The girl turned to him and smiled again. She got up and looked around, embracing the beauty that surrounded her, including the one that radiated off the boy she had just befriended.

"My name is Bill," he said, being polite. He wanted to know her name. "What's yours?"

The girl was studying Bill. The only reason she decided to befriend him was because he looked different. His hair was jet black and messy, and he had the most interesting aura about him. She was glad he wasn't like the others who belittled her because she lived in the church and never spoke a word. She had tried to make friends around the place but a few bad memories secluded her to the church. When he asked her name, she tried her best to answer.
Turning away as she got up, she finally spoke. "Analiese," was all she said. And she faced him again when she was on her feet.

Bill felt a little tingling inside him grow. It felt like innocence and love put together, but he didn't know what exactly it was. He had never met anyone as interesting and mysterious as her. A beautiful girl who lived in a beautiful church with a beautiful name captured him. He was falling in love. With the town and the church.

"Analiese," Bill repeated. "It's a nice name."

The girl liked Bill, so she started walking deeper into the church and Bill inevitably followed her. There was an instant connection in between them, and a great deal of trust was forged. She led him up some spiral stairs and through a series of corridors before ending up at the attic of one of the towers. Along the way, Bill observed the places and rooms he passed. The portraits and statues mystified him, and he had never felt so attracted to a place before.

Following the girl from behind, he heard her voice as she spoke again. "This is where I live," she said. And she unlocked the door to reveal a cluttered room surrounded by black candles. There was a queen-sized mattress on the floor in the corner, and it was tattered and torn but it was where she rested when she slept. On it was a figure, and it moved a little.

"Mother," the girl spoke. It was dark, but Bill could see that it was a woman who sat up. "I found a friend."

Bill was skeptical of the woman, but he saw that she had the same endearing smile Analiese had and was easily soothed.

Analiese's mother coughed hard, shaking her head. "Come here," she said to Bill. Bill noted the woman had a weird talking sound, but he went closer without hesitation, out of pure curiosity. The woman took his hand and placed her other atop of it. "Thank you for being nice to her," she said. "It's not easy for my daughter to make friends."

When Bill was close to her and she spoke, he noticed that she had no teeth in the front which explained the way she spoke.

"Your teeth..." was all Bill managed to choke out. He immediately regretted it, knowing it was rude. Her hands were cold and lifeless but Bill smiled nonetheless.

"I know," the woman said. Analiese went to sit with her mother on the bed on the floor. Behind, they heard rats scuttling about but neither of them minded. Bill was merely disturbed. "And that is why I can talk, and she doesn't."

"Oh," Bill mumbled. Things were making little sense to him, but he offered a sweet smile.

Analiese's mother stroked his cheek once. "You are a beautiful child," she smiled, nodding at the pixie-like boy. "I have nothing to give you, but take this. It's nothing, but it's all I have here." And the woman gave Bill an unburned black candle. She was thankful for Bill for being nice to Analiese.

Bill blushed, wondering why the word 'beautiful' was used. "Thank you," he said as he took the candle. And he glanced at Analiese who smiled at him. Something in him yearned to see her grin, but she was strong about not even opening her mouth.

All of a sudden, the door burst open and there stood an old man with a walking stick. He shone a torchlight at the mother and daughter before averting it to Bill who was a stranger to him.

"Who are you?" the old man croaked, demanding. "Get out of here!" Looking back at the other two, he continued. "Why did you leave your candles around again?" he shouted at Analiese. Bill felt angry the old man was so rude, especially to Analiese.

"I'm sorry," the girl said in a meek voice as the torchlight beamed on her face.

The old man, presumably the caretaker, took it and threw it back to her at the floor. Analiese's mother was apologetic.

"I'm sorry, Frederic," she said, stroking her daughter's back. And when the woman's gaze turned to Bill, she recognized that look as one of the many that she had seen before in her own life. A face full of confusion, disgust and disbelief. Bill was pale-faced and his eyes grew wide with shock.

"Your teeth," Bill choked out, mouth agape and his eyes pinned on Analiese's lips. "They're... They're sharp."

"Bill," Analiese said, frowning sadly. She shouldn't have spoken at all. And right there and then, Bill was proven right. He didn't see wrongly when he saw her apologize to Frederic. Something glistened. Analiese had teeth that were unlike any other. He canines were long and sharp, and it was obvious as she spoke. "Bill, I'm sorry."

Bill didn't know why she apologized, but he knew that she was some sort of strange person. He knew she was strange, but he didn't expect her to be this strange. The first thought was that she was a vampire, because he thought he knew how vampires were with teeth like that but no, vampires aren't real. At least that was what he believe until today. Until he met Analiese. That was why she didn't speak, and turned away when she did. Bill felt his heart race, and he couldn't stop staring at Analiese's cherry red lips, waiting for another glimpse of confirmation.

"Don't hate me, Bill," Analiese cried, shaking her head. Bill shook his head as well, feeling his cheeks burn. This was too much to handle for a boy like him. For a boy who was always told that vampires never existed.

"Bill," Analiese's mother reached out for him. "Please understand. Don't tell anyone." She was devastated that her daughter had accidentally revealed it to him. She thought a friendship could happen without words, but all good things come to an end.

"Look at what you've done!" Frederic shouted, angered. "Get out of here, boy! And you better not go around spreading this like a disease!" He went in and hit Bill with a stick, chasing him out.

Bill didn't hesitate and turned to leave. He ran. He ran as fast as he could without looking back. Past the corridors, down the spiral stairs, through the church in a blink of an eye like he was trying to turn back time and erase memory. He was running when he felt his knees give in, so weak and so soft. Analiese as a vampire replayed in his head. He felt like he was in a horror movie. He almost reached the entrance that he first entered when he fell, and onto the marbled floor he collapsed, his last thoughts being Analiese as his black candle in his sweaty grip gave in with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd love to know what you think! :)