Booze, Boys, and Buses

Chapter Twenty

We were just now entering Maryland. I had been thinking since that day back in Maine if having sex with Matt had been the right choice or not. I mean, was I really ready? Sure I loved him and all, but I had wanted to wait. I wanted to save myself until I knew we were going to be together for a while. But there was something I could trust about him. He was everything I could have asked for in a guy and more. I wanted to talk to him though. I wanted to straighten everything out.

“Hey Matt.” I said, leaning my face into his chest.

“Hi darlin’.” He said, his muscles tensing as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Could we go for a ride? I want to talk.” I said, looking up at him and giving him the biggest and bluest eyes I could.

“Ok, you don’t have to stare at me to get your way.” He said with a laugh, taking my hand in his and leading me over to the rental car.

As I was putting on my seat belt I looked over to the bus to see Zack and Kacie talking. They hadn’t been getting along very well. Kacie was still a little frustrated that he couldn’t make it to see her parents. I don’t know why she couldn’t just accept that he was busy. I guess she was PMSing or something. This was normal though. I guess she really liked Zack though, because she isn’t usually so persistent on her boyfriend meeting her parents. I’m sure that they would end up settling their differences sooner or later.

“So what did you want to talk about?” Matt asked as we began to drive out of the venue.

“I wasn’t planning on having sex with you for a while.” I said, biting my lip. This was hard to talk about. “It’s not that I don’t trust you, it’s just that I’m worried. I don’t want to get hurt.”

He pulled over and pulled me into a deep and passionate kiss. I felt his lip ring touching my lip and my tongue traced over his taste buds. He pulled away and looked me deep in the eyes.

“I would never hurt you.” He insisted, not letting his gaze lose mine even for just a moment.

“Ok.” I said, my stomach had turned to mush because of the kiss and his brilliant eyes. “I’ve just never felt this much for someone to actually have sex with them after just a couple months. I’m scared.”

“I understand, but you have nothing to worry about with me. I promise.” He said, pulling back out onto the road. “What do you say we go out to eat since we’re already out here?” He suggested, putting his hand out for me to take.

“I would love to, but I’m running short on cash.” I said, leafing through my purse for my wallet. I looked up at him.

He rolled his eyes and looked back at me. “You don’t need to worry about paying silly. I can pay for it. What do you say? Don’t pick a cheap place either.” He said, looking at me knowingly.

“Ok. But I don’t know where I want to go.” I said, sighing.

“There’s a nice place called Bentley’s right around the corner.” He said, shrugging.

“Sure.” I said, shrugging as well.

We pulled into Bentley’s and Matt told me to stay put. He walked around and opened the door for me. He took my hand in his and we walked into the large restaurant. He pecked my lips and the waitress coughed. Well that was a little rude.

“Hi do you have a reservation?” She asked, looking at the sheet at the podium.

“Yes, two for Sanders.” He said, smiling at the waitress.

“Ok, right this way.” She said, leading us to our table. I looked at him, dumbfounded. How had he arranged all this without knowing I was going to ask him to go for a ride with me anyhow?

“How—“ I began.

“I was going to take you out anyhow, but when you said that you wanted to talk, I figured that now would be a good time.” He said smiling. His dimples made me melt and want to give in to anything he said at any time.

I turned my attention to my attire. A pair of jeans, Vans, and one of Matt’s sweatshirts. Yeah, this was definitely proper restaurant attire. As if he had read my thoughts, he looked straight at me and sighed.

“You look beautiful.” He said, giving me a reassuring smile.

“Thanks babe.” I said, kissing him from across the table.

“Could I start you folks off with anything to drink?” Our waiter asked, taking out a notepad.

“Yes, some Heineken for me and champagne for her.” Matt said, smiling.

“Bud light actually.” I said, patting Matt’s hand. “I’m not a champagne fan.”

“Alright.” The Waiter said, walking away.

“I have to run to the bathroom. I’ll be right back.” Matt said, walking off in the same direction as the waiter.

He had been gone for only a few minutes and he was back sitting in front of me once again. The waiter came over with our drinks.

“Do you know what you would like to order?” He asked, looking between Matt and me.

“Not yet. I just need another couple minutes.” Matt replied, picking up his menu.

“I’m getting the honey mustard salmon.” I explained to Matt, setting my menu down on the table. He scrunched his eyebrows up as he skimmed the menu over.

I took a good, long drink of my beer. Matt watched me and grinned.

“What?”

“Nothing. I just love you.” He said, kissing my cheek.

I laughed and then he flagged down the waiter. He and I both ordered our food and I drank some more of my beer, Matt did as well. We didn’t do anything except for take some sips of our beverages every once in a while and look at each other. Once our food arrived we dug in. Matt let me try some of his steak, and I let him have some salmon. Both dishes were delicious. I took one last swig of my beer and then swallowed, but there was a problem. I couldn’t swallow. I was…choking.

“Matt.” I choked, grabbing my throat.

“What?” He asked looking at me. “Oh shit!” He exclaimed, running over to me. “Hey could I get some help over here?” Matt asked, scurrying around.

I fell to the ground, gasping for air. Someone picked me up and began pushing hard onto my chest until something flew out. I gasped, glad to feel air entering my lungs once more.

“Was this s-some idea of a joke?” I asked, looking in the direction of our waiter, who had just saved my life. “What did you put in my beer?”

“Cass, calm down.” Matt said, flashing something in front of my face. But I ignored it.

“You guys could have fucking killed me! I was just fucking choking on something you put in my fucking beer! Were you trying to kill me?” I asked, now feeling like a raging bull. I was face to face with the waiter right now. But then Matt put that something back in my face again. I gasped and stepped back into his chest when I realized what it was. A ring.

“This is a promise ring.” He said; I could hear a smile forming on his lips. I turned around. “Some day when both you and I are ready, I am going to ask you to marry me.”

“Oh Matt!” I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around him and kissing him. I then turned back to the waiter. “I’m so sorry for losing my temper at you.” I laughed. That was embarrassing. I had just choked on a promise ring from by boyfriend, and on top of that I bitched out our waiter.

“It’s ok.” He said, laughing.

“Thanks for saving me.” I said, hugging him. He’d deserved that much.

* * *

“That was embarrassing.” I said, laughing at my stupidity.

“It’s ok.” He said as we stepped out of the car and walked toward the bus. “Well, I have to go and prep for the show. I love you.” He said, kissing my lips and walking toward the stage.

“Where did you guys go?” Kacie asked as I walked toward the bus.

“We went to a restaurant and…” I said, looking at my ring finger. Kacie gasped and grabbed my hand.

“He proposed?” She asked, sounding shocked.

“No, this is a promise ring.” I corrected. “Believe me. Neither one of us are anywhere near ready for marriage yet.”

“Matt!” Kacie yelled, walking rapidly in his direction. I sighed and walked onto the bus. This wasn’t anything I wanted to be a part of.

Kacie’s POV

“Matt!” I yelled, walking rapidly in the direction of Matt.

Oh he was in for it now. I was semi-ok with him and Cass having sex. I know I told her that it was cool, but it was a little too soon. And now he was making marriage promises to her. I wouldn’t have it for a second.

“What?” Matt asked, looking at me innocently.

“Why did you do that?” I asked, staring at him intently.

“Do what?” He asked, still playing innocent.

“You gave Cassandra that ring! You guys have only been together for two measly months and already you guys are having sex and making marriage promises!” I exclaimed, truly being furious.

“I gave her the ring because I am going to marry her some day. What is your issue anyhow?” He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

“I just think that you guys are moving a little bit too fast don’t you think?” I asked, also raising an eyebrow.

“This is me and Cass’ relationship, not yours, so you have no say in what happens between us. Ok?” He asked, being obviously agitated with me.

“I don’t care! She’s my best friend and I’m looking out for her! I’ve seen her hurt before, and I don’t want to see it again.”

“Fine then, close your eyes!”

“Just quit being so immature! I was just looking out for her and you had to make it sound like I was butting in. Well I’m not!”

“Quit being such a bitch!”

“Quit being such an asshole!” I yelled, grumbling back toward the buses.

How could he say those things to me? That was my best friend and here he was, telling me what to do. I was only looking out for her. Why did he have to be such an ass about it?

* * *

Kacie stormed onto the bus. I knew Matt had said something, but I wasn’t sure quite what, obviously. I pressed my lips together in a line. I was very unhappy to see what was going on. I knew damn well that Kacie must’ve gone and said something to set him off.

“What did you say?” I asked, knowingly.

“I just told him to be careful with you. If anything happened to you, I’d beat his balls in.” She said, crossing her arms. I stared at her hard. “What?” She asked defensively.

“He isn’t going to hurt me Kacie. I don’t know why you always worry about that.” I said, now starting to get a little agitated myself.

“You’ve been telling me for how long that you wanted to lose your virginity to the right guy? And then this guy waltzes in and you have sex with him for the first time and you’ve only been with him for a month! And as a friend you expect me to not worry? Oh I’m worried alright. Not to mention he’s got it coming from all over the place since he’s a rock star. You don’t even understand how easy it would be for him to walk out and get a girl right this second.” Kacie said, stomping her foot.

“It’s called trust Kacie, it’s the center of a relationship!” I yelled, walking off of the bus.

“Don’t walk away from me when I’m talking with you!” Kacie exclaimed, and by the sounds of her footsteps she was in hot pursuit. She put a hand on my shoulder and I spun around. She hugged me. “I’m sorry. I just care about you ok? And I want you to be careful.”

“I know. And I am being careful. Do you honestly think that if I didn’t trust him, I would have given my whole self to him?” I asked as she pulled out of our hug.

“You’re right. But if he hurts you, I’m still going to beat his balls in.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all liked this. Check out my new profile and tell me what you think!