Booze, Boys, and Buses

Chapter Twenty-Nine

“Hi Val. Matt.” I said, nodding at them both. “When did you two hook-up?”

I know it’s not fair to anyone, but the rage inside my body rose to the top of my head. The hair on my neck was standing on end, and my blood pummeled into my cheeks. I did my best to hide it.

“Uh, we’re just trying right now. We don’t know how well things are really going to pan out. We’ll have to wait and see.” Val said, placing a hand on Matt’s chest.

That was where my hands and my hands only belonged. I hated to see her nasty skank ass hands touching my man. I clenched and unclenched my fists.

“Matt can I talk to you?” I asked, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible.

“Well, I was actually just stopping by to get…” He began.

“Now!” I shouted, not allowing him to finish a sentence.

He followed me upstairs into my bedroom, or the guest bedroom. I paced around for a few moments before I looked at him. Then I would grumble and pace some more.

“Is this going somewhere?” He asked, crossing his arms.

“I thought you were done with her.” I said, pointing toward the door.

“I was done with her, but then she came over, and we got talking. It just sounded like a good idea to think about getting back together.” He said, nodding in agreement to himself.

“Are you serious? You thought it was a good idea to get back together with the skank that cheated on you at the bar with some guy named Trevor that no one seems to really know? You are the dumbest fuck, that I’ve ever met.”

“It’s a good thing that you’re not marrying me then. Besides, I don’t know when this became all of your business. Or, are you just jealous?” He asked, pouting falsely.

I turned around and began to attack him. Before I could hurt him too bad, my homemade S.W.A.T. team came storming into the room. Kacie pulled me back, still lashing.

“You asshole! I’m not jealous of a skanky fucking whore like Valary Dibenedetto! What ails you?” I shouted, still swinging at him.

“What did you call me?” Val asked, walking over to me and slugging me right in the face. “I don’t give a fuck if you’re pregnant, you cunt! You don’t call me a fucking whore!” Val shouted.

“What the hell did you just hit her for? She’s pregnant, and she’s my best friend you bitch!” Kacie gave Val a good one in the face, while I went back after Matt.

“I loved you, and you ruined my fucking life! All I wanted was for you to be okay with the whole me being pregnant!” I shouted, punching him in the chest.

I heard Lacey yell something like, “She’s my friend you bitch!”

So this whole room was now filled with fighting girls and shouting guys. A pair of arms wrapped around me and I was taken into Zack and Kacie’s room. Jimmy then dropped me on the bed and walked out of the room. I tried to get out, but there was something blocking the door. I grumbled and sat down on the bed. Waiting was the most painful thing. It sure did give me a chance to breathe though. It was bad of me to get too stressed out. I didn’t want to lose this baby, especially since I was fighting so hard to keep it. I even lost a good relationship over it. A few moments later, Matt walked into the room and shut the door. I got up to try to leave. Matt grabbed my arm to stop me.

“You’d better fucking let me go.” I warned, pulling my arm violently.

He pulled it back which brought my face just centimeters from his. Without words, he pressed his lips to mine. My heart began to race in my chest and I felt my whole body come alive. The gears that had acquired cobwebs since Matt’s absence began to turn again. Even though I knew I wasn’t being a very strong woman, I couldn’t help it. His tongue traced the inside of my mouth, causing me to groan. I pulled back.

“Matt, I can’t. I’ am so mad at you right now, you have no clue. I want to rip your fucking dick off and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine.” I said, chuckling at my slight insanity.

He laughed. “Don’t do that. I just wanted to tell you, that after spending time with Val, I’ve come to realize something about her. She’s a lot more immature than you are, her lips aren’t as lush, her hips don’t sway the same, she doesn’t kiss as good, and most of all, she doesn’t love me nearly as much. She’s the black mark on my short record. Cass, you’re the best mark I’ve ever had.” I began to protest, but he held up a finger. He took both of my hands into his. “When I found out I was going to be a dad, I was scared. I don’t know how to be a dad! My first instinct was to run, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I missed out on an important someone. Whether or not you decide to be with me again, is up to you, but this is your decision to make and if you say no I’ll totally understand.”

I pretended to ponder for a moment. I knew that would kill him. I laughed and pressed my lips to his so we could continue our kiss.

“You’re really going to forgive me?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes.” I said, hugging him.

“Does this mean I’m getting some really good sex tonight?”

“No, this means we get to sleep in the same bed tonight. I’m way too tired for sex babe.” I honestly admitted. He pouted at me, which almost made me give in, but I was truly too tired. “Matt, I’m serious. Don’t pout at me like that!”

Matt walked me to my room, which was now going to be left as the sad remnants of a guest bedroom. Val was sitting on the bed. As soon as Matt walked in, she crossed her arms.

“Val I’m sorry. I…” I began.

“I don’t even want to hear it.” She said, putting a hand up to me. “Matt, you’re an asshole.”

She stormed out of the room. Matt and I both burst into laughter when she left. I tried my best to collect myself, but it was a little difficult. She was so stupid sometimes. Matt pulled out my suitcase and began packing.

“So what do you want it to be?” Matt asked, putting one of my shirts into the suitcase.

“I kind of want it to be a boy. They’re easier to take care of, I’m sure. I’ve only babysat a couple times in my life. I didn’t have any siblings or relatives that were younger than me really. So here I am, pregnant without a clue as to what the hell is going on.” I rolled my eyes.

“This will all pan out fine, I’m sure.” Matt walked over to me and kissed my cheek.

“You’re done packing already?” I asked, motioning my hands at the suitcase in shock.

“Yep, you’re all set to go.” He said.

“And what? You’re gonna let the pregnant girl take care of the heavy suitcase? What a gentleman.” I said sarcastically.

I walked over to the suitcase and picked it up off the ground. I wasn’t kidding when I said it was heavy.

“I’ve got it. I just wanted to kiss you first. You’re gonna have to take it easy with being pregnant and all. I can’t have you getting any sicker than you have to.” He insisted, pulling the suitcase from my grasp.

“Thank you darling.” I grinned sheepishly and followed him out of the room.

We both trudged down the stairs. Matt was a little slower than I was.

“How did everything go? Did you guys get back together?” Kacie asked, running over to me hurriedly.

“No, uh, no we didn’t. Matt’s just carrying my heavy ass bag out to my car for no reason. Oh and I’m going to be living with him, and sleeping in the same bed with him, and possibly have sex with him once in a while. But no, we’re not together.” I said, laughing.

“Bitch.” Kacie said, slapping me in the arm.

“Hey! Way to beat on the pregnant girl. I have my eyes on you.” Johnny warned, glaring at Kacie.

“Oh to hell with you!” Kacie said in retaliation.

“Enough fighting! There are young ears present.” Lacey said, rubbing my stomach.

“Alright, well, we’ve got to get heading out. With the little one on the way, we have some planning to do.” I said, jumping excitedly.

“Bye!” Everyone shouted in unison.

I waved as Matt held the door open for me to exit. He followed behind me and asked me to pop the trunk. I did as he asked and then sat down in the front seat. He then walked over to my window.

“Alright, so I’ll see you at home.” He said bending over and kissing me.

“Is there anything we need at the store?” I asked, turning my car on.

“Not that I can think of.” He said. “How about we go home and make a list. Then we’ll go grocery shopping together.”

“Okay.” I said, kissing him on the lips. “I’ll see you at home.”

He walked over to the Hummer and I heard it roar to life. I pulled out of the driveway which held a large assortment of vehicles. I followed Matt home. When I pulled into our driveway, Matt was already out of the Hummer and awaiting my opening the trunk. He grabbed my suitcase and walked into the house. I followed after him. As I walked into the kitchen, I was headed for the fridge, but my eyes skimmed over the stray envelope sitting on the counter. I picked it up. I didn’t recognize the return address, but my name was plastered on the front as the send address. I ripped open the envelope and pulled out a small white card. I looked at the front.

In Loving Memory, it read at the top of the card. Then there was a photo, and at the bottom it read, Eva Howard. I raised an eyebrow quizzically. My last name was Howard. I stormed over to the phone and quickly dialed my grandmother’s phone number. I tapped my hand impatiently on the counter while I waited for her to pick up.

“Hello?” She said.

“Hey Nana, it’s Cass. Who is Eva Howard?” I asked, still tapping my hand on the counter.

“Eva…” She said. I heard a slight sniffle. “She’s your cousin.”

“My cousin? How come I never heard about her before?” I asked, now becoming slightly furious.

“Your father had a brother. He was drug addicted maniac. Thank god Kent didn’t end up like him. Anyway, so his daughter, Eva, just died. She was such a sweet girl. Your parents didn’t have you meet her, because they didn’t want you to get caught up in your uncle’s life. It was better for you to have never met him.” She said. This time I heard a moan. She was crying.

“Nana, it’s going to be okay.” I said, wishing that I could comfort her.

“Will you come to the funeral? It’s going to be on Friday.”

“I’ll be there.” I insured her, saying goodbye and hanging up the phone.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. Matt walked into the kitchen and looked at the funeral card. He looked back at me.

“Who is this?” He asked, raising the eyebrow.

“My cousin apparently.” I said, walking over and looking at the photo.

Her hair was flowing and wavy. She was smiling in the photo, in front of some bushes. He smile was perfect and white. Her eyes were a dim shade of blue, and her face was flawless. I was completely jealous of her beauty.

“Man, I wish I had gotten to know her better. She seems like a nice girl.” I said, tracing my fingers over the photo.

“She’s hot too.” Matt commented.

“Silence in the peanut gallery!” I shouted, looking behind me.

I’d forgotten to ask, how she died. My thoughts brought me back to my parent’s deaths. Had she died in a car accident? Who knows, but I was going to find out in two days.

“When’s the funeral?” He asked, walking over to the fridge to grab a notepad off the top.

“Friday.” I murmured, setting the card down on the counter.

“Well, shit Cass. Jimmy’s birthday party is this weekend.” Matt complained.

“Fine then. I’ll go by myself. Seriously. I’ll just spend some time with Nana, and then go to the funeral. It’ll be fine.” I insisted.

“Are you positive? I really should be there to support you.” He said, nodding to himself.

“No, I didn’t even know she existed until now. It’s fine.” I said, sitting down at the island table next to him. “I’ll write shit down, you take inventory.”

As Matt walked around the kitchen naming off everything that we needed, I was off in space. I was absentmindedly writing everything down. I was really thinking about Eva, and what could have happened to her.

* * *

“Alright, I don’t want to come home and have everything gone in the fridge. It seems like it only takes you a day without supervision to clear that bitch out.” I said, hugging Matt and giving him a kiss on the cheek. “Ouch.” I winced.

“What’s the matter?” Matt asked, stepping back to make sure that I was okay.

“Nothing, my boobs are just real sore. I’ll see you in a few days.” I gave him a hug again and then walked onto the plane taking me back to my hometown.

Matt’s POV

After I let Cassandra go, I was going to have to head to the mall to pick up something for Jim. I hated that I waited until last minute to get everything all together. The Mall wasn’t far from the airport, so I pulled right in and walked inside.

It wasn’t too busy, considering that it was a Friday and all. I walked through the few bustling people and walked right into Spencer’s Gift. I was stumped on what to get them. Cass expected me to put her name on it, so it couldn’t be entirely made of testosterone. I found something perfect. The new Pantera CD and a Metallica shirt that I knew none of us had. That was normal enough. Not too much testes.

After I was done shopping, I tried to make it out, but a few fans stopped me. I wasn’t in too big of a hurry, so I signed some autographs and took some pictures before carting my ass out of there. I drove to Jimmy’s after this, I wasn’t going to worry about making the gift look too fancy. A Spencer’s bag was good enough.

“Hey man! How’s it going?” Zack asked, high fiving me as I walked into the house.

“It’s going fantastic. The woman is away for the weekend, and I get to be drunk off my rocker tonight. Things couldn’t get any better.” I said, but then taking a moment to think over what just came out of my mouth. “She’s actually not so bad, but she’s a little tense right now is all.”

There, I covered my ass on that one. I would be toast if that ever got back to her. I’d hate to be me in that case scenario.

“So, what’d you get him good?” Zack asked, peeking into the bag.

“Oh, nothing special. Just a CD and a Metallica tee.” I said, opening the bag wider so Zack could see inside.

“So where is Cass at anyhow?” He didn’t seem all too interested in my gift.

“She apparently had a cousin she didn’t know about, and that cousin is having a funeral tomorrow.” I informed him, nodding slightly.

The Next Day

My booming hangover left me a little dazed and disoriented as I reached for my vibrating cell phone.

“Hello?” I groaned, rolling over onto my other side.

“Hey Matt, how was Jimmy’s party?” Cass asked.

“It was great. I have such a hangover though. It’s insane dude.” I complained, rubbing my temples. I peered at the time. It said it was two in the afternoon. “Is the funeral over?”

“Yeah. And, Matt.” She began. This meant something big was coming.

“What?” I asked, eager to hear what was going on.

“Something’s come up.”

Cassandra’s POV Three Hours Ago

I walked into the funeral home with my grandmother on my arm. We both smiled and waved at all the people. Some people were from the church my grandmother attended, and some were distant relatives of mine. It wasn’t going to be very big, and I could tell already. No one was crying. I don’t think anyone here really knew her. My Nana did tear up a few times, and I would hold her as she cried.

When the service was over, I walked up to the casket. I looked down at the figure inside. She was extremely pallid. Like someone that had been caged in a dark hole for a hundred years. Her lips were open partly, as if she were trying to speak.

I looked at her eyelids. Thank God for whoever decided it was a good idea to close the eyes of dead people. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I saw a dead person with their eyes hanging wide open. I touched her skin, and my nerves came alive from the bitter cold. I stepped back.

“Nana, how did she die?” I whispered quietly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really really enjoyed writing this. I enjoyed writing it so much that it only took me a couple days to write it!! So here it is! Thank you to everyone for subscribing. By the way, read my profile, I have some upcoming things I wrote summarys for. Just look and see if it's something you'd be interesting in reading. Thanks :)