Booze, Boys, and Buses

Chapter Thirty

“She died in a car accident. It was, tragic.” My Nana looked like she was going to start crying some more, so I steered her away from the casket.

What was up with car accidents in my family? It’s a wonder I was still alive. I sat down next to my Nana at a neatly dressed table. She put a hand on mine and looked worried.

“What?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You need to meet someone.” She informed me, getting up from the table.

I followed behind her. We proceeded up the stairs of near the entrance of the church. She took me into a room labeled “nursery.” As we pushed through the door, I looked at all the playing children and grinned. I patted my belly just knowing that I was going to have one of those in eight months. Nana walked over to a little blonde boy and picked him up from the ground.

“Nana, what are you doing?” I asked, as she said nothing and handed me the small child.

“This little boy’s name is Max. He’s about one and a half.” She explained as I tried to hand her back the baby.

I looked at the woman tending the nursery. She seemed to know what was going on due to her lack of expression.

“Nana, put him back, he’s not yours.” I insisted, forcing him into my grandmother’s hands.

My Nana sighed and ushered me out the door with Max still in her arms. He made a little vowel sound as we shut the door.

“He was Eva’s baby. Out of the family, there are two people that can take legally take him in. There’s you, and then there’s me.”

I took a step back. I knew where this was going, and I didn’t want any part of it.

“Nana, I don’t want to take care of him.” I said, continuing to step back.

“Cassie you have to. You and Matt have a good life going for you in California, and I think that Max should be a part of it.

“Nana, I don’t know if…” I began.

“It’s not like you guys weren’t going to have kid at some point, now you can spare yourself the pain of pushing.” She laughed, still trying to press the kid into my hands.

I had to tell her the truth. “Nana, I’m pregnant.”

She nearly dropped Max on the ground, but luckily she didn’t. All she did was look from the baby, to my stomach, to my face. Then, she just stared at my face.

“Why didn’t you tell me this!” She exclaimed.

From her embrace and smile, I figured she was more happy than upset, which baffled me.

“You’re not mad?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

I was sure she would have been beyond pissed. “No! I’m so happy! And now, you really need the practice.”

I looked down at Max. His big green eyes were looking into mine. I sighed and smiled. He grinned back. A small row of teeth lined the inside of his mouth. How could I say no to that? I groaned and took the small child into my arms.

“I’ll do it.” I agreed, kissing the top of his small head.

“Oh wonderful! I got the paperwork already. All you’ll have to do is sign it. Oh, and Matt will too.”

As I rocked the small blonde haired baby in my arms, I warmed up to the idea.

“I’ll call him.” I said, handing the baby to my Nana.

I pulled out my cell phone and dialed Matt’s cell phone number.

“Hello?” Matt groaned, I imagined that he had a slight hangover.

“Hey Matt, how was Jimmy’s party?” I asked.

“It was great. I have such a hangover though. It’s insane dude. Is the funeral over?”

“Yeah. And, Matt.” I began.

“What?” He asked, eager to hear what was going on.

“Something’s come up.” I bit my lip.

“What do you mean?” He asked, I knew he was intrigued to a point now.

“I didn’t know this, but Eva, had a little baby boy.” I said, playing with a small strand of Max’s hair.

He smiled at me, I returned it.

“Please don’t tell me…”

“Matt we have to adopt him. He has nowhere else to go! It’s either with us, or with an orphanage. I refuse to let him go there. I’ve seen what those places look like. He’s too little for that. Keep me or not, I’m not letting Max go.” I said, then realizing I was being extremely defensive.

“Cass, it’s okay. We can adopt him. I’ll let you. It’s just that, where is he going to stay? We don’t exactly have a nursery or anything.” He explained.

“Uh, duh! You have two guest bedrooms upstairs and like four downstairs. I think we can afford to turn a couple of them into nurseries.” I said, rolling my eyes at his lack of common sense.

“Okay, I suppose that could work. So do you need me to come up there?” He asked, sounding a little drag about having to come up here.

“Yeah a little. I mean, it’d be easier on the adoption services and everything if you just sign the papers here and then we give them to them up here.” I said, picking at my finger nail. I wasn’t sure if he was really going to want to come up here.

“Yeah, I’ll get a plane ticket. I’m on my way. Bye, I love you.”

“Bye I love you too.” I clicked the phone, and stared at my grandmother with a shocked expression. “I so thought that he was going to get pissy about it.”

“Well, it’s a good thing he didn’t or I’d have to kick his ass.” She said, laughing.

I took little Max into my arms and looked down at him. He murmured something inaudible as I bounced him a little.

“So he can’t really talk? How about walking? Where is he on that?” I asked, tickling his little feet.

He giggled and then started toying with my necklace. “He can walk alright. Not too much, but enough to get from mommy to daddy. I really think he’s going to like it with you two. Uh, he can talk to a poin. He’s getting there. I’m sure you and Matt will be able to help him out with that.”

“I sure hope so.”

I stayed the night over with my Nana. I put Max to bed and read him a short story. His eyes began to slowly shut halfway through it. I pulled a small blanket over him and kissed him on the top of his small head. My heart swelled when I looked at him. Having that small child be my own would be great. I was in love with him already.

As I crawled into bed, I looked over the adoption papers. They wanted both parent’s signatures and that was it. I really think they should have done a better back ground check on me and Matt. How were they supposed to know that Matt and I weren’t some crazed killers looking for our next victim? I assume they must’ve known that I was a relative. I signed the paper anyhow, right before I dozed off.

The next morning my phone rang. I sighed and answered it without checking the caller ID.

“Hello?” I asked, rubbing my eyes and peering over at the clock.

“He’s so adorable.” Matt said over the phone.

“Where are you? Are you here?” I asked, getting out of bed quickly.

“No, your grandmother, Max, and I are all at the DHS so we can both have full custody over him and catch a plane home.” He explained.

I looked over at the clock. “Matt! Why didn’t you wake me up? It’s eleven for God’s sake!”

“I’m sorry! You just looked so peaceful. Anyway, I’ll be back soon with our son. Have fun packing everything.” He laughed and hung up the phone.

“Asshole.” I murmured, slamming my phone shut and beginning to search for some suitcases.

I took a moment to think. I shuttered at the sound of Matt saying “our son.” It was a good kind of shuttering though. It sounded so right coming out of his mouth. By the time Matt had returned home, I had everything packed up and ready to go. I figured it would have taken me a lot longer than that.

“Well, bye Nana, I’m sorry that I have to leave so soon. I wish I could stay longer, but you know how Matt is with hating Maine and everything.” I rolled my eyes and brought her into a tight hug.

“It’s fine honey. Make sure you come by and visit as soon as you get the chance.” She smiled and kissed the top of my head.

“I sure will.” I hugged her one last time before I walked out to the rental car.

Matt put Max in the car seat. I felt like I’d been spun around in circles. Everything was happening so fast. I thought that the whole adoption process would have taken longer. I guess that since we were family it made it go faster. I sat down in the car and looked over at Matt. He gave me a reassuring smile.

“Oh yeah, here’s some papers they gave us on the kid. His social security number, his birth certificate, you know, the basics.” He handed me the papers.

I looked at the birth date. I laughed and covered my mouth.

“What’s so funny?” Matt asked as he began to pull out of the driveway.

“You two share a birthday.” I said, looking back at the small child. “Oh he looks cold. Did we pack a blanket or something?”

“Yeah it’s right on the floor in the back seat.”

I unbuckled my seat belt and leaned over the console. The frog printed blanket sat neatly folded on the floor. I picked it up and put it around the small child and smiled at his satisfied face.

“He’s such a handsome boy.” I commented, smiling at Matt.

“I know. Hey, I’ve been thinking of some names.” He said, turning into the parking lot of the airport.

“Oh really? Tell them to me on the plane.” I said, getting out of the car.

I had Matt hold my purse as I went to the back and got Max out of the car.

“It takes a real man to carry a purse.” He said, flexing his muscles with my purse over his colored arm.

I laughed. “You’re a dork, now let’s go.” I said, heading toward the airport.

“Hold onto this so I can get the car seat.” He said, handing my purse to me. I sighed heavily and slouched. “Do you want to carry the car seat? Because if you want to, be my guest.”

I chuckled and proceeded to the airport. We got everything all situated with the plane tickets and such. As we sat down on the plane, a wave of nausea coursed through my body.

“Matt, take him, I have to use the bathroom.” I said, practically throwing Max at him as I sprinted down the crowded aisle of people to currently my only salvation. “Move! Excuse me!”

As people continued to take their sweet old time moving out from the aisle, I felt the acidic liquid beginning to climb up my throat. Right there in front of everyone, I lost the contents of last night’s dinner all over someone’s lap. I jumped backward and my heart began beating a thousand miles a minute.

“Oh my goodness, I am so sorry!” I shouted, stepping backward.

“What the fuck did you just do?” The man shouted, standing up to me. “What did you have some problems with holding your vomit you bulimic bitch? Jesus, you got it all over me, and it smells like shit!”

“Look, I’m really sorry. I’m pregnant. I could go get some paper towels.” I suggested.

“Stewardess! Some woman threw up back here!” One of the women on the plane shouted.

I groaned. “Yes, let’s make it apparent to the whole world that someone fucking threw up on the plane! All it would take is two fucking seconds for me to get some paper towels! Hell no! We have to tell everyone!”

“Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. There are small children on this plane and you are being very disruptive.” One of the stewardesses said, putting a hand on my back. She began to push me gently toward the exit.

“Wait no! I didn’t mean to. You see I accidentally threw up on this guy and…” I began.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but you need to leave.” She repeated, causing the heat to rise to my face.

“I know! I am going to leave! But I need to get my boyfriend and my baby!” I shouted, trying to push past her.

“Well, you’re obviously a great parent with the way that you talk around kids. I hope you don’t talk like that around your kid.” She said.

I reeled my fist back. I was about to make brutal contact with her face, but someone caught my fist mid-punch. I grumbled and followed the hand holding on to mine to realize that it belonged to my boyfriend.

“Cass, it’s fine, we’ll just stay at a hotel and catch a plane tomorrow.” He said, grabbing me by the hand and beginning to walk off of the plane with me.

“But what about our luggage?” I asked attempting to run back into the plane.

“It’s fine.” He said, shoving me forward. “I’ll get it, you can take Max out to the car.”

“Are you mad…” I began.

“Yes Cass, frankly, I’m quite pissed off. Now go get in the fucking car.” He said, turning me back around and giving me a small shove.

I groaned and began walking toward the car.

“Ma?” Max asked, looking around. “Ma.”

I looked down at him and my heart ached. He missed his mother. What was I supposed to say to him? I mean, it’s not like he would understand what I was trying to say, but that didn’t matter.

“Baba.” He said to me.

“Oh man. Okay, Matty and I will stop at the store and get you a baba and some milk.” I said, sitting down with him in the car.

I looked over at the adoption papers. My eyes traced over what things he was supposed to have to eat. Only skim milk when it came to beverages. Apparently juice made his feces change color.

“Okay.” Matt said, causing me to jump and hit my head on the roof of the car.

“Ow.” I groaned.

“Here let me take him and I’ll put him in the car seat.” Matt insisted, holding his hands out to take Max.

I handed him over and then shut the door and finally buckled my seat belt. Matt buckled him in and then went over to the front of the car and buckled himself in. I could sense that he was a little frustrated.

“So where are we going?” I asked as sweetly as possible.

“I don’t know.” He grumbled, ripping out of the airport parking lot.

“We have to stop…”

“No Cass, we’re going straight to the hotel.” He insisted.

“Would you just shut the fuck up and listen? We need to stop and get some skim milk and a bottle for Max.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Are you going to go in and knock someone’s lights out for it?” He asked.

“No Matt, I’m not. The fucking stewardess was telling me I was a bad parent.” I said, feeling a tear begin to fall down my cheek.

“You’re like fucking crazy. All you ever do is freak out on people!”

“Fuck.” I heard coming from the back.

I jumped half an inch of my seat and turned around.

“Jeez Matt. We’ve only had him for a couple days and already he sounds like you. And I’m the bad parent.” I said, chuckling slightly.

“Well, you’ve been swearing more than I have! And you tried to hit someone!” Matt exclaimed.

I turned around in my seat and gently tapped Max on the face. “You don’t say things like that.”

His face scrunched into a ball and then he began to cry. Matt took a sharp right into a grocery store parking lot.

“I’ll be right back. I need some money.” I said, holding my hand out.

“Here you go.” He handed me a twenty and I made sure to slam the car door as I began toward the grocery store.

I suppose I was a little crazy by almost hitting the stewardess, but she just made me so pissed. What else was I supposed to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm realllyy sorry about this! I was extremely sick for like a week and a half so it was really hard for me to get anything written. Thank you so much for your patience and thank you to the people that still stand by and wait and wait and wait. You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that there are people that stand by me to read my stories. I appreciate you so much.