Booze, Boys, and Buses

Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Matt, just shut up and deal with it." I said, continuing to drive down the highway.

"Where are we going?" He asked me for the fifth time. "I just want to take this blindfold off!"

"You know, most guys like being blindfolded by girls." I pointed out, laughing slightly.

"Yeah but not when they're going down the highway at what feels like nine hundred miles an hour!" He shouted, reaching for the blindfold covering his eyes.

"Matt don't! It's a surprise!" I shouted, reaching for his hands.

He grumbled loudly and dropped his hands at his sides. I stopped at the parking lot of Huntington Beach. I helped Matt out of the car and then told him to wait. I went to the backseat and pulled Max out. He pointed at Matt and made a laughing noise. I laughed along with him while Matt felt around the car hoping for some sort of stability. I grabbed his arm.

“Just hold on to me and everything will be fine.” I said, leading him toward the beach area.

“You didn’t blindfold Max.” Matt pointed out.

“I know I didn’t. If I had, he wouldn’t stop crying and you know that.” My feet reached the sand and it felt so good on my bare feet.

“We’re at the beach?” Matt asked, moving his head around like he was trying to see better.

“Don’t ask questions.” I insisted, pulling him along.

I saw our setup that everyone had a ways down the beach. A blindfolded Kacie was sitting down at a picnic table. I led Matt over to it and had him sit down. I too had to sit and take a breath. My stomach was getting so big.

“Can I take this thing off yet?” He asked as I took his hand in mine.

“In just a minute.” I replied, looking around for Brian.

“He and Michelle are running a little late.” Lacey said, walking over and sitting next to me. “Here, let me take this little monster off of your hands.”

She took Max from me and sat him on her lap. “Thanks. Man I just want this little monster out!”

She laughed. “Yeah. I bet you can’t wait for your baby shower!”

“I can’t. It’s going to be really nice. I miss my grandmother too. I can’t wait to see her!” I exclaimed, finally letting it hit me that it’d been a few months since I’d seen her. She was supposed to be here for Max, Matt, Kacie, and Brian’s birthday party.

“Well, she’ll be here soon.” She said, smiling at me.

Just as she said that, a yellow taxi cab showed up letting out my grandmother. She waved at me excitedly. I started to get up, but she put a hand out.

“Don’t get up for me honey! You’re too pregnant!” She laughed as she made her way across the sand to meet up with me.

She gave me a huge hug and patted me on the back. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been great Nana! Thank you! How have you been?” I let go of her and she sat down next to me.

“I’ve been good. I miss you though! You don’t come to Maine enough!” She exclaimed sighing.

“I know, but I’ve been busy between the baby and being pregnant. Now I’ve got two birthdays to worry about.” I chuckled. “It’s a little stressful.”

“I can understand that. It gets a little busy.” She nodded slowly and then stood up. “I’m going to get some chips. I’ll be right back.”

Michelle and Brian showed up and walked over to us all. Brian was blindfolded and reaching around while Michelle made her way down to the beach. We had a plan to camp out on the beach for the night with a bonfire and everything. We were going to do presents and we had a monstrous cake for everyone to enjoy. Travis and I were going to enjoy it very, very much. I looked around to make sure that everyone was there. Kacie’s parents stood at one corner of the tent, Nana, Matt’s parents, Lacey, Johnny, Brian, Brian’s parents, Michelle, Max, Matt, Val, Jimmy, Leana, Zacky, Kacie, and me.

“Okay, is everyone ready?” I asked, putting my hands behind Matt’s head to pull at the tie.

Everyone nodded, save for the blindfolded people. I pulled at the cloth and the blindfold fell into Matt’s lap. He looked around and smiled.

“Happy birthday Matt, Max, Brian, and Kacie!” Everyone shouted, clapping.

“Thanks everyone!” Matt exclaimed, embracing me tightly.

“Oh my goodness!” I heard Kacie yell from the other picnic table. “Thanks you guys!”

“This is awesome!” Brian was standing next to the cake.

“Honey, it’s only July twenty-fifth.” Matt pointed out.

“Yes I know, and we have four birthdays in July. Wouldn’t it make more sense just to have one big beach party?” I asked, rolling my eyes at his lack of common sense.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right.” He agreed, he nodded.

We spent most of the time opening presents in the beginning. We had received a video camera from Nana in hopes that we would use it on our kids. Michelle and Brian had given Matt a five hundred dollar gift card to Spencer’s and they got Max a stuffed animal from Build-A-Bear, plus a fifty dollar gift card. I don’t even know who could spend five hundred dollars at any store. I had a feeling that I knew what Matt would spend it on too. Lacey and Johnny gave Matt a new set of rims for the Hummer and they gave Max a battery operated Hummer so he could be just like daddy. Kacie and Zack gave Matt a new iPod, considering the one he had was starting to act funny, and they gave Max one of the really expensive strollers that you’d see Paris Hilton’s kids riding around in. Jimmy and Leana decided to give me and Matt five nights of free babysitting that we could use whenever we wanted and it didn’t have to be all at once.

It was hard to remember what Brian and Kacie got for gifts, but I remember what Matt and I got them. We got them both tickets to an Angels game. We decided to make a big thing out of it. The only person that wasn’t allowed to go was me. There was no way I was making it up all those stairs with this belly. I already felt like I was lugging around a tank in my stomach.

Around the time that the bon fire started, Matt was holding me tightly into his chest. Nana had Max and I got to spend time with Matt all alone for once. He kissed the top of my head and I snuggled up to him closer.

“Thank you for the birthday. It was wonderful.” He said, kissing my head again.

“I know, and you still haven’t gotten your present.” I teased, pressing my lips to his.

He laughed. “Oh I know, and I hope to be getting it tomorrow night.”

I let out a fake laugh. “You do now? Well, we’ll see about that. It all depends on how good my baby shower goes tomorrow. Would you be willing to sit through it with me?”

“What? But girls don’t usually want guys at their baby showers! Why do I have to go?” He asked, truly whining.

“Matt, you don’t have to. I was just kidding. My goodness, take a pill.” I rolled my eyes and felt him sigh.

“Good. I would hate to sit through one of those.”

“Hi guys.” I tensed up as Val walked over to us.

Matt patted my leg as if to tell me it was okay. I knew it was okay, but forgive me for being a little nervous.

“Hi.” Matt murmured carelessly.

“So Cassie I heard that you’re having a baby shower tomorrow. Is everyone going to that?” She asked, pulling a pack of cigarettes from her pocket.

“Everyone that Kacie and my Nana invited.” I mumbled, going deeper into Matt’s chest.

She chuckled. “I wasn’t invited for some reason.”

Not that I wanted her to come, but I didn’t want to start any drama. “You can come too if you want to.”

“Nah, I would love to, but I have so much stuff going on. I’m back with Trevor you know. He wants me to move in with him. I don’t know what to say though.” She started smoking.

“Are you going to?” I asked, pretending to be interested.

“I don’t know. I’ve been with him for quite a while now. I suppose that I should.” She took a drag an sighed. “I think I’m going to.”

“It’s up to you.” Matt pulled his arm out from under me.

“I’m going to go talk to Kacie about tomorrow and see who else she invited.” He stood up and walked away.

Val took his seat. “In a month, you’re going to be a mom. Are you nervous?”

“I’m so nervous, but at the same time, I think it will be a nice change for Matt.”

Both she and I sat there for a moment in silence staring at Matt. I knew that she still wanted him, and it bothered me to no end. She chuckled and then looked over at me.

“Remember when we you beat me up over him?” She asked, looking right at me.

“Yeah I do.” I still stared into the fire.

“It seems like it was such a long time ago. I loved him so much. I’m really glad with the way things turned out though. I love seeing you guys so happy even more.” She put a hand on my shoulder.

The strangest thing was that as soon as she said that, I instantly felt better about her. She genuinely meant every word she said.

“Thank you for saying that. It means a lot to me.” I honestly said to her.

“No wait! Don’t do it!” I jumped when I heard Johnny start yelling.

Jimmy had him bridal style and he was running toward the water.

“Jimmy it’s dark out! Don’t throw me in the water!” Johnny screamed, kicking and flailing.

The whole group laughed as Jimmy tossed Johnny into the water. Jimmy was standing at the edge of the water in complete laughter. We all watched as Lacey ran over and shoved Jimmy so hard that he flew into the water as well. The whole area erupted into laughter.

“I’m going to go set up our tent. I’ll be back in a minute.” He said, kissing me on the head.

“Okay, I love you.” I said, rubbing his back as he walked off.

“I love you too!” He said as he walked off.

* * *

I sighed as I lay in bed. Matt had me on bed rest since I’d reached my ninth month. Not that I minded it much, he was practically waiting on me hand and foot. I could do much anyway. My stomach was so big. When they measured it at my baby shower. It was basically a repeat of Max’s baby shower. This time though, we got some new furniture for Travis to have when he came out, which hopefully would be soon. I was tired of carrying this monster around in my stomach. He was going to be huge, and I knew it.

“Matt!” I shouted from the bed.

I heard him jog up the stairs and into our room. “What is it?”

“Is there any way I could get you to get me some water?” He walked over and grabbed my glass. “Please?”

“Of course honey. You don’t even have to say please.” He kissed me and walked out of the room.

“I say it because it’s polite!” I shouted while he walked down the stairs.

I waited for him to come back into the room. He sat down next to me and handed me the water.

“I have a nice dinner planned.” He said, taking my hand.

“Aw, you don’t have to do that.” I stroked the back of his hand with my thumb.

“I want to though. I love you and you deserve it.” He kissed me on the head again.

“I have to go find a baby sitter for Max. It’s just you and me tonight.” I opened my mouth to protest. “Before you say it, I don’t want to have sex tonight. I know you’re too tired to do it. Not to mention, I can imagine it would be difficult for you to do.”

“Thank you for understanding.” I stroked his face.

“I have to go tend to Max. Yell if you need anything.” He got up and walked out of the room.

There I sat in bed until around five. Matt came upstairs in a tuxedo. He looked more handsome than words could describe. He held a hand out to me.

“Babe, I am too disgusting to even compare to you.” I accepted his hand and he helped me up.

“You’re perfect.” He whispered into my ear.

I blushed and followed him down the stairs. I looked down at the breasts I’d inherited, now holding onto a cup size of D. I knew Matt was enjoying the view. We continued into the dining room where there was a candle lit dinner. He sat at one end of the table and I sat right next to him. The dinner he’d made was marvelous.

“This is so wonderful.” I said, taking his hand into mine.

“You’re wonderful.”

“Matt, what’s this all about? You’re never like this. Unless you want something. Which you’re not getting.” I took a bite out of my steak.

He laughed. “I don’t want anything. I already told you that.”

I swallowed and then raised an eyebrow at him. “Then why are you being so sweet? Not that I’m complaining. It’s just a little strange is all.”

He chuckled and stood up. I looked up at him in confusion. He then got down on to one knee which made me stand up in shock. The day had finally come, and I wasn’t nearly prepared. My hands shot up to my mouth.

“Cassandra Marie Howard, will you marry me?” He smiled widely at me.

“Oh my god.” My heart felt like it stopped.

I smiled and felt tears start to well in my eyes. Then I felt a substance wet my legs. It felt almost like I’d urinated myself.

“Matt, I think my water just broke.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay! I know it took forever, but my internet stopped working for a while. Just so you all know, my mom broke my laptop a couple weeks ago. She's putting the second payment on it tomorrow so I should be getting it back by then! Plus, since it's summer, I'm going to be updating more than ever! Summer is my season bitches!