My great escape

The full story

Smack! The air escaped from my lungs. Tears pricked my eyes. This wasn’t the first time she hit me, but it was the worst so far and there was still more to come.
I lay there, recovering from this beating. Eventually, I found myself able to stand. The first place I went was the fridge, for a shot of vodka, to cool my nerves. Cigarettes were located in the cookie tin, but I couldn’t stop shaking while trying to light it. Throwing it across the kitchen, I collapsed into a fit of bitter tears.
Look at me, just left college. No job, addicted to cocaine, drinking far too much and being abused by my girlfriend. How I got into this mess Ill never know, but I know how I’m going to escape. Every time she hits me, I escaped to see the angels and I just know how to escape and where to go. They will give me strength and relief.
My heart beat was racing. Aching for it, I made my way to the bathroom. There it was. On the side of the bath, the needle lay there in anticipation. Waiting for me to push it into one of my veins. As soon as it pricked me skin, everything was calm again. I started to make my way back down to the kitchen, where my other sweet friend was.
Darkness in my sight was beginning to fade as a dim light filled my vision, while I tried to fully open my eyes. I could see it was coming from the window opposite; I sat up in my mess. Embarrassed I saw I was lying on the floor with bottles surrounding me and covered in my own puke. Dragging my sorry butt to the shower, I caught a reflection of myself in the mirror. Bags under my eyes, a cut down my left cheek form the other day, my black hair wet and greasy and eyes weary beyond my years. Seeing myself and the shape I was in, I thought how much I needed out.
After a freezing cold shower, I went for a cigarette. As I flicked the lighter on, I became entranced by the flame. That’s when it hit me. I had found my ticket out of here. I knew how I was going to make my great escape.
There was a cellar. It had what I needed in. I started making my preparations when she left for a day of whoring. I covered the whole apartment with it, gasoline. I sat on the sofa, waiting, lighter in one hand and I rested the other on my lap. The door creaked, sunlight streamed in, everything shone. She saw me sitting there, almost sneered but quickly caught on. I stared straight into her eyes and she looked back. Then I clicked the lighter. Keeping eye contact, everything was on fire.
I felt no pain as the light shone and the angels flew down and released me from this world.