Champion Girl

Chapter 1

Pace your running. Your frantic breaths are enough to ensure you will be caught in a few moments’ time. I don't want that. I want you maniac and numb, I want to hear your beating heart crashing against your chest, and I want to ensure the red tinge in your cheeks is from the cold. I want the chase. You can't talk your way out of this one now.

Champion runner, beautiful girl, and a wonderful kisser.

Lousy girlfriend.

You tear into the street, hoping that a car will pass by. Not tonight. Sunday nights in quiet suburbia always ensure that someone can scream and no one will listen. The adults are dead asleep for three more hours and the children are safely tucked away in bed. So scream your horror away. It's about time you were on the receiving end of this game we played. You're just staring at me now. Shuddering, but still managing to come off as confident and in control.

Why were we running? Once again, you managed to crush my heart with your steel sleeve, but this time you managed to screw the worst. I see your eyes widen before you take off. I was so close this time- I know you won't last for long. I shout your name because you're going to the wrong side of the road. You're mine. I don't want you dying because in your panic you managed to go in the wrong neighborhood.

But you still go in. Champion girl goes into the valley of the dead. This valley has all the temptations and no escape. My blood runs cold and now I'm fighting for my life too. I don't want you hurt. I just wanted you to learn your lesson. This lesson might just kill you now.

I see their red eyes and their tilted hoods. Their snarls indicate they haven't fed in a while. You run, oblivious to the wolves and the fact that in this road, you're not the champion girl anymore. You're just easy picking. I tell them off. This is my town, and that's my girl. They listen, but there's always one who wants to be the alpha male.

He hates me. He sees you as a pawn that I let out of my sight. I made a mistake. The rope grips against my neck harshly as I try to save you from the trap. He isn't help. He's destruction. The cold is a harsh heat now, coursing through my blood along with rage. I want to scream, but I won't have enough time to. His jackals are all panting excitedly in my ear, encouraged by the thought of fresh blood flooding the streets tonight.

You start to realize now. I see it in your magnificent eyes. His grip on your arm is too tight and his smile is too big. You can't even fight now. You just accept your fate and hold your head high. Like a true champion. When his eyes search yours for a sign of weakness as you fall, you're the one smiling.

Champion girl, beautiful girl, and wonderful girlfriend. We all have our flaws, but your grace puts mine to shame. I grip the ring as I pass out from the cold.

We were halfway there.