Status: Giving the curcumstances, Mysti and I have agreed that it would be best if I wrote the story from now on. I have decided to start fresh and am in the process of rewriting the whole series now.

As Snow Falls on Desert Sky

Chapter 7: A Very Unwelcoming Welcome Home

Scott had dropped me off first. I thanked him for the ride before he drove off, not even making sure I entered the house safely. I just let out a brief chuckle before walking up to the porch and going in the house. As soon as I set one foot into the house, I met a very unwelcoming greeting.

My mother’s husband (I wouldn’t dare call him my step-dad, that would imply that I accepted him into the family, which I didn’t) was already at the stairs. He laughed his drunken laugh and I saw Tiffany in the living room. She had a sneer on that twisted her usually pretty face. Who knows what she told them about me.

“Where the hell were you?!” Sid bellowed.

I tore my gaze away from Tiffany and reluctantly turned back to Sid. In a very calm and steady voice I said “I was at the concert. Tiffany saw me there.”

“Tiffany was home hours ago! You should have been here before her!”

“With all due respect Sid, but my friends and I all hung out after the concert.”

“Are you talking back to me!” he shouted more than asked. I looked back at Tiffany and she was trying to conceal her laughter. She was failing miserably.

“Look at me when I’m talking to you!” he yelled as he roughly grabbed my face and turned it to him.

I took a deep breath as he brought his hand up. I shut my eyes tight, preparing for what I knew was going to happen. As I felt a sharp stinging sensation come to my face, I knew it was going to be a bruise in the morning. I just got rid of the last one. His fist collided with my face again and I fell to the floor. I looked up and saw Tiffany’s smirking face as he punched me in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me. I knew he wasn't finished yet but my mother had caught his attention. I used the opportunity to get up and limp my way to my room while holding my stomach.

I made it to my room without anymore run-ins with Sid, thankfully. I immediately went to my vanity and looked in the mirror. A bruise was already starting to form on my face. Lovely. I decided it would be best if I dealt with it in the morning. I went in the bathroom to take a quick shower and changed for bed. I was lying on my bed when Tiffany walked in.

“Hello Ricky,” she said in a sickeningly, fake sweet voice

I glared at her. “Don’t EVER call me Ricky,” I said in a voice that was dripping with venom. “My name is Simmons to you. Ricky is reserved for my friends. Got that Riley?”

“Whatever,” she said all sweetness gone.

“What do you want?!” I snapped.

“I just came in here to ask you if you enjoyed the concert,” she said the fakeness returning.

It was then I noticed that she had her hands behind her back. She was planning something. “What concert?” I asked deciding it would be better to be on the safe side. It’s only two rules on this side and that’s “Deny all accusations and play dumb.” I played dumb first.

“You know very well what concert!” she said sternly, then it was back to sweet. “The Jonas Brothers concert.”

“I wasn’t at a Jonas Brothers concert,” I lied. Me being who I am, if it got out that I went to a pop concert, Disney pop at that, I’m ruined. Tiffany must have noticed that I had caught on to her little plan because she huffed and then stormed out of my room. She would try again. I went to sleep that night dreaming about the concert.