Give It a Chance for Our Love to Start

Mile High Club

"Promise you won't forget me," Tinsley whispered teasingly as she hugged me.

We were standing at the airport. Nick, Kevin, and Bethany were at the check in. Nick, Kevin, and I had things to do in L.A. so we were heading back for a few weeks. Bethany was coming too. She had things to get in order for her music school. 4 weeks. Bethany and I – without Tinsley. I sighed, knowing it wouldn't matter. Our vows were still there. It was the only thing keeping me from running to Bethany now, holding her, kissing her, loving her. But I had vowed on her, on our love. I couldn't break that. I wondered how long I could hold out. I knew I could make Bethany succumb easily. She loved me as much as I loved her. Maybe I could start out with a kiss. . . No, I thought. Bethany wouldn't want me to.

"I could never," I promised Tinsley. There was a double meaning in my promise.

"Man, talk about public displays of affection huh Kev," we heard Nick say.

We slowly pulled apart. I kept my arm around Tinsley's shoulder, our hands still intertwined there. With my free hand, I playfully punched my younger brother. "Funny," I smirked at him. "Don't be jealous bro." I let my eyes flicker to Bethany for a split second. She was trying to keep her gaze averted, a fake smile plastered to her face. I could see through it, through her. It hurt to see her in so much pain.

Nick scoffed and put his arm around Bethany's shoulder. I felt my heart jump at that. Bethany jumped a bit too, looking blankly at Nick. I saw Nick subtly squeeze Bethany's shoulder, sending her a – comforting look. He turned back to me, a smirk replacing the small smile. "Like I need Tinsley, I have Bethany," he said. But then he blushed. "No offense Tins."

Tinsley laughed. "None taken. Bethany's a sexy chick," she smirked.

Bethany's cheeks started coloring. "So um," she said. I couldn't help but notice how she was addressing only my brothers and Tinsley. "Are we going? They're boarding."

"Right," Nick said, taking his arm off. "Bye Tins," he hugged her quickly.

"Later," Kevin smiled at her, hugging her too.

Bethany threw her arms around Tinsley. Tinsley let go of my hand to do the same. I stepped back to let them have their moment. "I'm going to miss you so much," Bethany whispered.

"Me too," Tinsley whispered back.

"I love you Tins," Bethany said.

Tinsley pulled away, holding her pinky out. "Sisters for life?"

Bethany smiled, looping their pinkies. "Forever and always."

She turned, and walked towards Nick. I saw him put his arm around her, chafing her arm. I sighed, turning to Tinsley. In a second, she was in my arms, tearing staining my shirt. I felt horrible. Here I was, complaining how I wanted to be with Bethany, how I had to sacrifice my love for her to be with Tinsley. But hadn't I loved the girl in my arms not even one week ago? Didn't Bethany love her, their connection even stronger than ours? Didn't Bethany feel the consequences in her heart from my vow as I did? I tightened my arms around her, promising myself to be better about this – for Tinsley, for Bethany. "I'll miss you," I said quietly.

Tinsley pulled back, smiling at me. "You better," she said jokingly. "I love you."

"I love you too," I said back, not completely lying. I did love her. Not as strongly as I loved Bethany. But I did love her. She was one of my best friends, always had been.
After giving her one last departing smile, I turned and followed my brothers and Bethany onto the plane.

---

"Right is too stupid," Nick whispered to me as we started walking away.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks Nick."

He squeezed my shoulder. "Just kidding Beth. It'll get better. I promise."

I sighed. "Will it? Because right now the only thing that's stopping me from running back to her and telling her the truth is your arm. I love Tinsley. But this is too painful. I don't know if I can do this."

Nick got off of me. "Then go. Because seeing you in pain isn't exactly presents on Christmas morning."

I smiled slightly, looking back. I saw Joe and Tinsley hugging. His face was buried into her shoulder. I sighed, shaking my head. "I can't do that."

Kevin shook his head. "Do you people not even listen to my talks?"

"Why would we do that when it's so much funnier seeing you aggravated," Nick asked, smirking. I laughed.

Kevin smiled, hitting Nick lightly as we handed our boarding passes to the attendant standing there. "Funny," he said.

Nick and I laughed again as we found our seats. I froze. "Nick, trade seats with me," I asked suddenly. Our seat arrangements were made the day before we came back to Texas.

He looked back at me and then at our seats. Realization hit his face. "Okay," he said, walking back to put his carry on in the compartment above my seat.

"Thanks," I said, walking to the seat next to Kevin. "Hey buddy," I grinned wryly at him.

He sighed, shaking his head. "This takes too much energy," he said. "You guys are insane."

I laughed. "Thanks so much Kevo."

Joe came onto the plane, his eyes locked on where I was standing. Then his gaze darted to Nick as he seemed to pretend to let it go. "I – I guess you're my plane partner, huh bro," he asked. I could hear the pain behind his voice.

Nick smirked. "Trust me, I'm not happy about it either," he said. "Just don't drool on me, okay?"

Joe rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he laughed dryly before taking his seat. He looked at me for a split second before looking down at his hands.

I sighed, taking my seat. This was going to be a long 5 hour ride.

"Be right back," I whispered to Kevin. He nodded. I got up and started walking to the bathroom. I sighed as all the availability stickers were red. My eyes darted to Joe. He was turned back slightly, watching me. I looked away. After what seemed like forever, one of the bathroom doors opened. I was closing the door when a hand stopped it. I froze as Joe stepped in with me, locking it behind him. He turned to me, his eyes pained.

"Joe--," I started.

He cut me off, putting a hand on my mouth. His eyes were boring into mine, beseechingly. "Bethany, I know what I said. I know what I vowed. But I love you. I need you." He leaned over, his hand now gently stroking my face, his lips meeting mine.

I didn't stop him as he continued kissing me. I didn't want to. I loved him too. I needed him too. His free hand wound around my waist, holding me tighter against his hard body. Subconsciously, I molded myself to his body, my arms wrapping around his neck, my finger traveling into his hair, tangling themselves. I could feel the smile on his lips at my reaction. I knew I should stop. But I couldn't. I didn't want to.

The hand that was on my face, lightly traveled down my face, down my sides. Every touch sent a burning sensation throughout my body. I needed his touch. I wanted it. His lips moved down to my neck, his fingers trailing down to the bottom of my shirt. I gasped, knowing he wanted to take it off. Silently, I pulled away, taking it off. His eyes wondering down my body, approvingly. I silently reached over to pull his off too. In seconds, he was pressed against me again. I could feel him against me. I knew this was it. His lips met mine again. I felt his hand gently resting against my bare waist. He moved, once again, to my neck. I knew this was wrong. I knew I should just walk away. There was a noble side in my head that told me to push him away now. But then there was another side that was telling that side to shut the hell up. I sighed, knowing what I had to do. My hands gently pushed against his chest. He responded, as I knew he would. "What's wrong," he asked, his eyes full of hunger and lust.

"We – can't," I choked the words out.

His eyes tightened. "Why? I love you. I need you."

I sighed, putting my hand on his cheek. "I love you too Joe. But we can't do this. Tinsley—"

He cut me off, his hand reaching up to cover mine. "Bethany, we can explain to Tinsley. She'll understand. I can't do this," he voice broke. And with it, so did my heart. He was in so much pain – and it was my fault. "I need you so much. I thought I could stay with the vow. But seeing you, being near you. Bethany, I love you. I just – want you."

I sighed. "I know Joey. I love you too. But so does Tinsley." I reached up and softly pecked his lips. "Please Joe? You know as well as I do that I'll go along with this if you tried to make me, that I would forget all about my worries and Tinsley. But you know I can't do that. Please?"

He sighed, pulling away, bending down to grab our disheveled shirts. He handed me mine and put his own on. I saw pure pain on his face. "Guess I won't be joining the mile high club today, huh?"

I laughed feebly. "Sorry."

Joe sighed again, leaning down to kiss me once again. His eyes were locked on my face for a long time before he smiled weakly, turned and walked out. I watched him go, wanting so desperately to call him back. But I didn't I couldn't. And I started crying again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

So I kind of liked this one. What did you guys think? Not my best, but eh, whatever. Comments/feedback please? Banner by Christine (lifelive.breatheair.) Love you guys!