Give It a Chance for Our Love to Start

Poisoned Salad

"I cannot take this anymore," I groaned, falling onto the couch where Kevin was texting away on his Blackberry. "Four weeks. Four weeks of total silence. This is a mad house."

Kevin rolled his eyes, not looking up from his phone. "It hasn't been that bad Nicholas. And you could be a little more considerate. This is obviously hard for both of them."

I rolled my eyes. "I feel bad for them. This whole situation stinks. I love her. But she loves him. And he loves her. Yet, even they aren't happy. No one is happy. Know why? Because Bethany has to be such a great person and give him to Tinsley."

"This isn't Tinsley's fault," Kevin said.

"I know," I sighed. "But still. It would all be easier if she were just clued in on everyone's dilemma."

"I guess," Kevin shrugged. "But it's not our place. It's not our business."

I sighed again. "Doesn't mean I have to like it." Then I had an idea. "Hey, what if we killed her?"

Kevin finally looked up at me. His face was skeptical.

"Think about it Kev," my eyes widened. "Problem solved."

"Have you gone completely insane," he rolled his eyes.

"If you think about it," I insisted.

"No."

"You've really got to think ab—"

"No Nicholas. We cannot kill Tinsley."

I huffed, falling back into the couch. "We could."

"No."

I sighed, knowing he was right. We couldn't kill her. "Fine."

"Honestly," he shook his head. "Do you even think before you talk?"

"Not really," I shrugged.

"Of course not," he rolled his eyes, looking back at the phone.

"I think Katelyn can stand 5 minutes without a text Kev," I glared at him.

He waved me off. "Go away."

I smirked. "Fine, just know that God is always watching."

He threw one of the couch pillows at me as I went to the door. I turned back. "You know, I'm actually glad Tinsley's coming today."

"Oh really," he smirked. "Weren't you planning on killing her?"

I shrugged. "It'll be easier to poison her salad if she's here."

Kevin rolled his eyes. "No poison Nicholas. We cannot kill Tinsley."

I huffed. "You're no fun."

---

"What terminal is she coming in at," I asked as Joe parked the car.

Against my better judgment, both Joe and I had come to pick Tinsley up from the airport. This was more because Tinsley had called and said we both better be there than anything else. The last four weeks had been – difficult. Joe and I were polite. But we didn't really talk. There wasn't really anything to say. The choice had been made. And it was pretty determined. We just could never be. I think not talking was easier on both of us. Even now, sitting alone with him in the car, had been too difficult, to have him so close, yet so far away. A few times, I had caught him reaching towards me, as if to take my hand, jus to hold it as he drove. But then he would stop in mid-air, pulling away quickly as if realizing he couldn't.

"Um," he said absent-mindedly.

I sighed. "You didn't check, did you?"

"Nick was supposed to remind me," he shrugged. "I guess he forgot."

I sighed. Nick had been extra weird lately. He liked to take my hand when we were walking, or pull my head on his shoulder as he were watching a movie, and stuff like that. I knew it wasn't merely just friend stuff. But he was still just Nick to me. And I was pretty sure he knew that. "I guess we'll have to check the schedule board."

"Okay," Joe said quietly as we got out of the car.

We walked awkwardly into the terminal. We stood just far enough as to not have any chance of any contact, but close enough to look like we were there together. I sighed as we stopped in front of the board.

"Bethany," Joe breathed, taking my hand.

I froze, turning to face him. His eyes were looking into mine, beseechingly. I knew I could not deny him anything right now. "I—" he started.

"Joe, Bethany," Tinsley screamed.

We jumped apart, seeing her run towards me. She ran right into Joe's arms. "I've missed you," she said.

"You too," he said, looking at me.

I looked down at my arms. Finally, Tinsley pulled away from him, and threw her arms around me. I could feel her shaking slightly, as if she were sobbing. But no sound came. I knew this side of Tinsley well, the covered pain. Feeling her pain, I knew I made the right choice. She needed Joe. "I've miss you," I whispered, wrapping my arms around mybest friend sister."

She pulled away, smiling at me. "I've missed you too B."

"Thank God you're here Tinsley," Joe said, sensing the awkward moment. He put an arm around both our necks. I tensed, but didn't say anything. Of course we had to put on the normal ruse for Tinsley. We had to act like everything was okay. "Bethany has gotten so boring, and," he shuddered. "Clean. She's been spending way too much time folding socks with Nick."

"Have not," I playfully smacked him as Tinsley laughed.

"So, shall we get going then," Joe asked.

"Yes we shall," Tinsley giggled.

---

We got home in silence. Bethany was not sitting in the back while Tinsley sat in the front. I couldn't help but look at her in the rear-view mirror. She looked so sad – so alone. As soon as I parked the car, Bethany jetted inside. I sighed. She was so eager to get away from me. And all I wanted was to be with her.

Tinsley and I walked in to see Nick and Kevin waiting. Bethany was standing slightly behind Nick.

"Great, you're here," Nick said enthusiastically, hugging Tinsley before Kevin did. "I made dinner. Hope you're in the mood for salad."

I saw Kevin sigh, shaking his head. "I'm bushed," Tinsley grinned.

"Great," Nick led her into the dining room. We all followed. Bethany was the last to come in. She seemed so vulnerable, so small, so sad. I wanted to run up to her, to wrap my arms around her, to kiss her. "Tinsley you have to sit right here," he positioned her by a chair that he pulled out for her.

"Um no," Kevin said quickly. "You should sit by Joe."

"I can sit in the seat next to her," I said warily. Was something going on?

"Excellent," Nick grinned.

"Um no," Kevin said again. "You can't actually. I always sit there."

"No you don't," Nick said.

"Since when," I asked.

"Since I realized it has the best lighting," Kevin said. It came out more like a question. What was going on? "Now can we all please just sit. Tinsley, you cannot sit here. I need Nick next to me."

"Why," I asked.

"Just stop asking questions," he rolled his eyes. "And let's eat."

We all shrugged and took the weirdly placed seats. I noticed how Bethany waited till we were all seated, as if to make sure she didn't end up next to me. She ended up sitting in between Kevin and Tinsley. I sighed. This was going to be a long night.

We all started eating silently. Everyone that is – except Nick. "You know," he said, getting up with his plate. "This seems cold. Tinsley, want me to warm it up for you?"

"Salad is supposed to be cold Nicholas," Kevin said through his teeth.

"Fine," Nick sighed, as if in defeat. "Then, I'm not hungry." He stalked into the kitchen.

---

Something was definitely up during dinner. It was like Nick was trying to plan something. I sighed, shaking my head. Whatever he was planning hadn't seemed to happen since he had been sulking around since after dinner.

I started typing my essay.

"Tell Tinsley there's ice cream in the fridge," Joe called downstairs as he came into my room.

"Joe," I stood up.

He locked the door behind him. "Hey Bethany," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments/feedback, yes?
I'll update this again after I get back from Disney world.
Muaha, evil right?
Love you guys <3