Give It a Chance for Our Love to Start

This Heart, It Beats, Beats For Only You

My fingers were trembling as I opened up her email.

Dear Joe,

I was thinking yesterday about how we used to talk everyday. I used to check my computer constantly, hoping you had emailed me back. You seriously became someone I leaned on more than anything. You have always been there for me. Even now, what you're doing. I – I want to thank you. I know it's not much. In fact, you must hate me right now. But from the bottom of my heart Joe, thank you. I know it's not easy. But you are so amazing Joe. And I know you must hate me right no. But I swear I never meant for it to feel like this, to be like this. I never meant for any of this to happen. And I feel so terrible because I tried to fix it but it just made it worse.

I'm writing because I miss you Joey. Also, because I'm too much of a coward to say this to your face. I'll always love you. But I'm going to marry Nick. He proposed to me during dinner. And I said yes. I talked to Tinsley, and she immediately suggested a joint wedding. So I guess this is it Joe. We'll be marrying other people on the same day. I'm sorry.

Forever and always,
Bethany


I reread the email twenty times. She was marrying him? She was – not giving in. I couldn't process that. I wouldn't. No. Bethany and I belonged together. And we were going to be together. This whole thing was just an obstacle in our way, a test of our love. But it would pass. And Bethany would give in, and finally accept there was no other option but us. We would be together. I sighed, reading her email again. I couldn't understand why she was being so difficult. She needed to just admit we were meant to be already. I clicked reply and quickly typed my message.

---

You've got mail.

Timidly, I clicked my inbox. I knew it had to be from Joe. And whatever was in that message terrified me. I read over it.

I'm never giving up. I love you. And you love me. It'll work out in the end, you'll see.

I sighed, rereading it. His emails used to cause so much joy. Now, I was scared of them. Not scared of him necessarily. I didn't think that was possible. But I was scared of the thought of him not letting this go, of him letting it consume him, of letting it make him miserable, of letting him be as miserable as I was. That was what I had subjected him too.

I was about to reply when the door opened. "Hey," Nick said coming in. I quickly minimized the screen. He came over and kissed my forehead. "What are you doing?"

"Just checking to see if my schedule came in for the year," I lied.

He smiled. "It's so cool that you're going to go to school here." I just smiled and didn't say anything. "You know? I have never heard you sing."

"I'm not that good," I shrugged.

"You were good enough to get into the most prestigious music school on the west coast," he reminded me.

"But I'm not as good as you guys," I shrugged.

"Sing something for me," he asked.

I shook my head. "I'm really not good."

He walked over and lightly touched my cheek. "Please?" His voice was low, barely over a whisper. He leaned down and his lips met mine softly. His thumb stroked my cheek. Then, he pulled away. "Please?"

I sighed, closing my eyes. "I am finding out that maybe I was wrong
That I've fallen down and I can't do this alone

Stay with me, this is what I need, please?

Sing us a song and we'll sing it back to you
We could sing our own but what would it be without you?

I am nothing now and it's been so long
Since I've heard the sound, the sound of my only hope

This time I will be listening.

Sing us a song and we'll sing it back to you
We could sing our own but what would it be without you?

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
This heart, it beats, beats for only you

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours," I finished singing.

I opened my eyes and looked at him. He had a smile on his face. But it was a sad smile. He had seen through the song, of course. He knew me too well. He kissed my forehead. "That was beautiful," he whispered.

"Thanks," I smiled weakly, feeling my heart falling.

"You know," he smirked. "You have to sing for me later again."

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Okay, time for the annoying to go away."

"Ouch," he chuckled before kissing me quickly and leaving. I turned back to the computer. There was a knock on the door. "You will sing more though, won't you?"

I laughed, turning to look at him. "I guess."

"Okay, bye," Nick said. I had faced the computer screen again when there was another knock. "And you're still going to marry me"

"Yes Nick," I said, not turning around this time.

"Okay, bye," he said. And then there was yet another knock. "Just checking."

"Goodbye Nick," I laughed, not turning.

A few seconds later, there was another knock. "Nick," I groaned, turning. I froze as my eyes met a pair of chocolate brown eyes, eyes that I knew so well. Not Nick.

"Joe," he whispered. I could see the pain in his eyes. It equaled the pain in my heart at that moment. "Joe," he whispered again before turning and walking away.

I felt the tears come to my eyes. My heart was beating, aching for him. My heart was beating for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments, yes?