Give It a Chance for Our Love to Start

Tinsley

"Bethany," I exclaimed as I jumped on Bethany, waking her. "Wake up! I have an emergency."

She sat up quickly. "What's wrong?"

"Joe wants me to meet him for lunch," I pouted. "But I have nothing to wear."

She laughed, rolling her eyes as she fell back on her pillow. "And here I thought the house was on fire."

I laughed. "I know, I know, not as panic enticing as a house fire but seriously, help please? I can't pick what to wear."

"Wear anything," she said, shrugging. "You'll still look amazing."

I groaned, didn't she understand? This was lunch with Joe. I loved him so much. I had to be perfect. "No I won't Bethany. Help me," I shook her lightly, pleading her. "Please. I have to look perfect."

She groaned, finally sitting up. "Why does it matter? It's Joe. He'll love you in anything." Her voice was quiet.

"Kind of like Nick loves you," I grinned, nudging.

She blushed. I laughed. "I think it's cute. Nick is so nice. And we get to be married on the same day. I know I haven't always been the best of friend, but you mean so much to me B. And we get to get married on the same day! It just – it means a lot to me, you know? You mean more than anything to me Beth. And knowing you're going to be as happy as I am is just – so amazing."

She smiled at me. I looked at her, confused. She looked – sad? "Hey, are you okay," I asked her.

She nodded, smiling. "Yeah, I'm fine. So your outfit, right?"

I nodded slowly. I decided to let it go. It wasn't usual for Bethany to hide things from me. Whatever was on her mind, she'd tell me when she was ready. I sighed, turning my attention back to my lunch with Joe. But then I had a sudden thought. "Hey, why don't you come with me?"

"What," she asked quickly. "No, I can't."

"Come on Bethany. It'll be fun. I haven't gotten to spend much time with you in a while. And I miss you babycakes. BFF, remember?"

She sighed. "You're having lunch with Joe. You guys don't need a third wheel."

"Bethany," I laughed. "You and Joe are like best friends. He loves you. He would not mind if you came."

She looked at the ground. "Tins, I don't really think I should."

"Why not," I demanded.

"Don't you want time alone with Joe," she asked.

"I have the rest of my life with him," I said gratefully. I did have forever with him. And I couldn't have been luckier. It still amazed me that Joe had picked someone like me. Sure I was pretty. I knew guys liked me. I had noticed how they watched me since I was 14. But Joe was different. He was so sweet. He wasn't the kind of guy that went on just looks. He loved me. And just that feeling made everything -- so much better. I looked at Bethany. I was glad she had found that in Nick too. Bethany was so amazing. She deserved someone just as amazing. "Invite Nick too," I said.

Bethany looked at her bedspread. "Tinsley I don't think—"

"Come on Bethany," I pleaded. "What you want alone time with Nick? You have forever for that. Right now, it's group time."

I got off her. She opened her mouth to protest but I cut her off. "You have no choice," I said, grabbing her phone and tossing it to her. "Call Nick. I think he had a doctor's appointment. He can meet us there. As for you, you have half an hour to get ready. It's already 11:25. I told Joe I'd meet him at 12."

I left her quickly before she could protest.

---

Beth and Nick. Nick and Beth. N and B. Nicholas and Bethany. Joe and Bethany. Only the last sounded right in my head. Only the last was meant to be. I sighed, knowing it couldn't be. It couldn't be unless she gave in. And until she did, I had to play this charade. I had to play in these emotions. I had to suffer a broken heart.

I sighed, leaning back on my car as I waited for Tinsley to show up. Lunch had seemed like a good idea. I wouldn't have to see Bethany and Nick together. And I could play in this charade. It was all perfect. "Hey, Mr. Jonas," I heard her call.

I looked in the direction of the voice and froze. There she was, looking amazing. But I was looking past her. I was looking at Bethany. What the hell was this? Why was she here? They were across the street. Tinsley was rushing here. They weren't paying attention. They didn’t see. A car was rushing at them. A car was rushing down the street. "Bethany," I screamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought that people didn't really know Tinsley well enough. So I put some of it in her point of view :] Helped a bit?
Short I know. But liked it?
Comments, yes?