We Are in a Mess

Brand New Attitude.

This was the third night in a row that Leah Jenson had not been wearing her wedding ring.

Bruce was now pretty sure that it wasn’t an accident – but he was hesitant to ask about a subject that might be sensitive, especially since Leah never really talked to him about her husband.

His question was unintentionally answered when two girls from the bar came up to her and started yelling.

“Girl, what are you still doing here? You know that Stephan’s looking for you. He’ll probably come here soon,” the blonde asked.

”Yeah, you should book it out of here, dude,” nodded the other, a short redhead with freckles.

Leah scowled at them and was about to spit a retort back when she noticed Bruce’s concerned face approaching quickly towards her.

“Oh, hey Bruce,” Leah’s face turned into one of relief at seeing him.

But Bruce was not there to relieve her; he wanted to figure out what was going on.

“What’s the problem with Stephan?” Bruce cut right to the chase.

The relief drained from Leah’s face and was replaced with frustration.

“Ah man, you don’t know?” The redhead gasped.

Bruce’s features twitched in annoyance for a second but he nodded in affirmation.

“Oh. Well, Leah and Stephan haven’t really been getting along well lately because of all his dealings and everything and – ”

“I filed for divorce,” Leah cut the redhead off, rubbing in between her eyes with a sigh.

Bruce’s eyes widened. Well that was an explanation he wasn’t expecting, albeit one he wasn’t overly upset about right this moment.

“And that’s why you should get the hell outta here,” the blonde pointed a finger at Leah.

“Stephan’s totally pissed,” the redhead nodded again.

“No, he’s no. He’s just a little upset. You would be too if you just got divorced,” Leah denied.

“Well, you do realize who his uncle is, right?” The blonde asked.

“Yeah, you of all people should realize what the Maroni’s are capable of doing,” the redhead’s eyes got wide.

Bruce turned to Leah, “Maybe you should go somewhere safer. Just for now, until things blow over.”

“Well, where would I go, Bruce? My place? Stephan lives there too. Here is fine. It’s too crowded for him to try anything anyways,” Leah said flippantly.

Bruce’s face turned grim, “Would he try anything? Do you really know him that well to know for sure that he wouldn’t come here?”

Leah just shook her head dismissively.

“I was married to him for three years. Just go enjoy tonight’s date, Bruce,” she spat. It was very apparent now that she was getting annoyed.

Bruce frowned at her but decided to leave it and left her in peace. But he didn’t go that far. He dragged his date to a nearby table that was between the DJ booth and the front entrance, hoping to be the first one to notice if Stephan came.

For the next hour or so he periodically did a mental check-up on how his favorite DJ was faring. He also scanned any newcomers for signs of Stephan.

He found it was hard to ignore his date, however, and currently he had gotten pulled onto the dance floor and now the curvy woman was grinding up against him to a song that seemed to be never-ending.

He instinctively turned his head towards the booth, an action that he had done on numerous occasions during his trips to Club Fluorescent. But this time was a little different.

DJ Ordinary was nowhere to be found.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter gets exciting. And instead of four chapters, I've divided it up into five. Because originally this chapter was going to be way longer but I decided that this was a better stopping place.

Comment to tell me how mean I am.