Something Better

Chapter 20

Alyssa’s P.O.V.

Everyone was now in the back of the church just talking. The wedding ended about half an hour ago. The waiting isn’t bad though, I get to talk to some people that I haven’t seen in a long time. I saw some old relatives of mine and others I don’t even know who they are. They say that the last time they saw me was when I was just a baby, which might explain why I don’t remember them. Then they would go all ‘Oh, and look at you now, pregnant with your own baby!’

Yeah, I wish I could be as happy as they are!

It really is disappointing though, when I have to tell them that I’m not married. In my family, it’s not exactly the best idea to get pregnant before you’re married. Well, even better for my case, I’m not even with the guy that helped me conceive this child anymore. So when they ask, “Well then… who’s the boyfriend?” Then I have to tell them that I also don’t have a boyfriend… which is even more disappointing.

“Oh my goodness! Look at you! You’re so big! You must be getting towards that due date, huh?” This lady asked me while we were talking. I think she said she was my cousin or something…

“Yeah, she’s due in a month.” I said.

“Oh! So it’s a girl! You and your husband must be so proud.” She said with this big grin on her face that made her look like she just had really bad plastic surgery done on her face. It looked like it hurt…

It’s funny how if someone sees you pregnant, they always automatically think that you’re married.

“Actually, I’m not married.” I said, trying to hide the frown that was this close to appearing on my face.

I guess they think that you’re married because only normal people get pregnant when they’re married.

“…Oh… Really? Wow…” Then she looked away and found someone else to talk to.

Well… I guess reality is that if you have sex before you’re married, you’re automatically put into the ‘slut’ category. Family members don’t like to think of their family as sluts. So I guess they should think that I’m married. Everyone who I haven’t seen in a long time asked me the same question.

“Who’s your husband?”

Unfortunately, I had to shoot down their happiness with proclaiming that I’m not married, or even better for that matter, I don’t even have a boyfriend. I swear, I’ve had about twenty different awkward conversations, all just within the half hour that we’ve been in the back. Do you know how sad that is? After a while, you really do start feeling like an outsider.

After I was done talking to everyone that I needed to, I left the church and walked around to the back. My back was really starting to hurt and I didn’t want to find a seat in there just in case another person wanted to start another awkward conversation.

This is a very fancy church, because when I walked to the back, there was this backyard-like thing that looked like any ordinary backyard, except fancier. The grass was greener than green, and it had a little sidewalk that circled around the entire yard. There was this flower garden that went along the side of the sidewalk. It was mostly just tiny flowers in the little garden line thing, like marigolds, inpatients, and petunias. It was a wonderful array of colors that went along the side.

There was a huge wooden fence that went along the outside of the sidewalk, probably to keep intruders out. This backyard was probably just for the people who are a part of the church or are renting it out or something. But eh fence looked pretty with the scenery, nonetheless.

In the middle of the marvelous yard, there was a big, white gazebo. A sidewalk led straight from where I was into the gazebo, and then also on the opposite side, so people wouldn’t have to walk through the grass to get into there. The little flower bed line went on either side of the sidewalk leading into the gazebo, adding more beautiful colors to the scenery. There were also beautiful flower pots hanging from the ceiling, like hanging fuchsia. There were two benches sitting opposite each other inside. A smile automatically irrupted from my lips as I realized that I would be able to sit down.

I walked down the little sidewalk and up the stairs into the gazebo. Automatically, I could smell all the flowers brushing through my nostrils. I sat down on the little white bench, closed my eyes, and relaxed. Somehow, this place reminds me of being a kid.

I think I lost track of the time, because before I knew it, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I decided not t move, just in case the other person wanted some piece and quiet, too, so I just kept my eyes shut and listened to the birds chirping around me.

I heard the other person walking towards me, and then I felt them sit down next to me. What, did the other bench have bird crap on it or something? I suddenly felt a pair of eyes on me.

Okay, did this other person realize I was trying to relax? Can’t they see that I’m a pregnant woman? I mean seriously! If I saw someone sitting down with their eyes closed, I sure as hell wouldn’t bother them.

“Alyssa? Are you awake?”

The voice that rang like bells in my ears said. The voice that always comforted me in a time of need. The voice that I really did NOT want to hear right now…

I slowly opened my eyes and looked to my right where the other person was sitting. I suddenly got lost in those familiar honey chocolate brown eyes that I never wanted to live without. I could sense the other person got lost in mine, too.

None other than Joseph fucking Jonas was staring right back at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter guys!! Yup, I told you I would update sooner than usual.
Okay, so normal updates should be posted every Sunday from now on, if not then i give every single one of my readers permission to punch me senseless. I've been really bad for updating for you guys, and unfortunately I still can't get any sooner than one week. School is a bitch people, but it comes first for right now.
I hope you enjoy this chapter! And hopefully it gives you a hint as to what comes up next!!

:)