Disorder

It's Been FOUR Bitter Years

“Gerard! How long did you stay out two nights ago?” Mikey asked him. Gerard didn’t look up from the paper he was pretending to read.

“Give me that!” Mikey snatched the paper and flipped madly until he got to the headlining news.

CAR BROKEN INTO IN QUIET SUBURBAN NEIGHBORHOOD
ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE FOUND AT SCENE OF CRIME


“You wouldn’t happen to know about this, would you?” Mikey demanded.

Gerard yawned openly and looked into his coffee.

“GERARD?”

“I don’t know. I have a job interview today,” Gerard said irrelevantly.

Mikey huffed impatiently, “How can you not know? This looks like your handiwork,” Mikey made an attempt to gain Gerard’s attention by shoving the paper in his face.

“You know, you’re going to make me near-sighted by forcing me to read the paper that close,” Gerard muttered, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

“Ugh. Fine, I don’t care. Don‘t forget to pick me up from Frank’s house at 3 or… I’ll…you know!” Mikey growled. Gerard snorted at his little brothers anger and went to dress for his job interview.

He turned around, inspecting his formal leather jacket and black jeans. Gerard wasn’t really going to impress anyone. He was really just going to get a couple days pay before he was fired for being too violent, demanding, irresponsible or because he tended to violate people’s rights.

He would get the job, no doubt about it. All he had to do was turn on the power of his eyes and anyone within 20 feet would willingly stab themselves for him.

It was an unnatural ability that Gerard took advantage of. He didn’t mind corrupting people to get what he wanted. It had always been that way.

Gerard felt a tingling start in his fingertips. It grew until it gripped Gerard with the need for impulsiveness.

“Mikey! I’ll be back later,” Gerard yelled. He ran out side and dove into his red Corvette.

Speed. Give me speed. he thought and revved the powerful engine. The sound was so seductive and Gerard exhaled in a hungry growl.

He sped past the houses, blurred into smudges of drab color by the intense speed of his driving. He pushed the engine hard, forcing it to meet his needs.

The tingling had stopped infiltrating his skin and Gerard was finally able to slow down. He stopped in front of his new workplace. Or, what would be his new workplace after Gerard manipulated the administrators.

“Hello, my name is Gerard and you will fall to your knees in defeat at my superiority,” he mumbled to himself, enjoying his joke.

“Uh, I don’t think that’s going to happen,” someone said. Gerard turned around slowly and saw his old high school buddy Ray Toro, holding a bag from the bookstore across the street.

High school. There was a few memories Gerard wished he could demolish from his mind. That pleasant segment of his past was filled with pain, isolation and the desperate need to find who you are. As Gerard simply could not find out who he was, he resorted to using his influential charisma for demonic deeds that sometimes haunted him in his sleep. The only good aspects of his high school years had been his two, and only friends: Ray Toro and Matt Pelissier

“Toro. Buddy. What’s up?” Gerard walked around the car and shook Ray’s free hand.

“Nothing, man. I’m still living with my mom over in, uh, Newark. Bitch doesn’t want me to move out. I can’t blame her though. She doesn’t want to be alone. My dad died a couple years ago…” Ray said, still shaking Gerard’s hand.

Gerard pulled his hand away and let out a breath through his nose, “I’m here for a job interview,” he said indifferent to Ray’s sad news.

“Wow. At the cartooning place?” Ray seemed to not notice Gerard’s obvious lack of interest in his fathers death. Either Ray truly was oblivious, or he’s a better actor than believed.

“Yeah. I’m finally going to put the college to use. Make a couple bucks.” Gerard felt oddly comfortable around Ray. Comfortable enough to drop the hypnotizing charisma from his voice and act remotely normal.

“That’s cool. How’ve you been? You still with that Eliza girl?” Ray asked, shifting the bag-of-books to his other hand.

Gerard snorted and rolled his eyes.

“I’ll take that as a no,” Ray smiled. Gerard noticed the sunlight reflect off of his wild mass of hair, giving it a shimmery appearance.

“Well, Toro, it was truly great seeing you again, but I have to go get a job. Good luck with whatever the fuck you said you were doing. Bye,” Gerard shaded his eyes from the sun and walked away before Ray responded.

Ray watched him walk away. Gerard had always been one weird guy, but he had been friendly enough. Ray remembered high school, where he would hang out with him because of the… talents he seemed to have with people. Gerard was always a safe guy to hang out with. That is, when he wasn’t lighting things on fire, terrorizing other children or violating things from laws to woman.

That was only seen on rare occasions though. When no one else but Ray and Matt were around, Gerard was absolutely normal. Or as normal as a boy going through adolescence could be.

Ray wondered what had really become of that disturbed side of Gerard and whether the manipulative abilities Gerard seemed have were forgotten, being used for good or, Ray shuddered at the though, for wrong.