Disorder

Valley

“Well, Mr. Way, it seems as if you are suffering from panic attacks,” the doctor confirmed what Gerard had already assumed. “It’s not something you need to stress over much, though. I’ll just prescribe you some Xanax, which you need to remember to take or the attacks will come back.” The doctor scribbled something in stereotypical doctor handwriting (a completely ineligible scrawl) and handed it to him.

Gerard noticed that the doctor pulled his hand back almost immediately. He snickered at the obvious fear being directed toward him. Gerard sure could use some fun right now…

But then again, fun seemed like an unimportant factor right now. What would this xanax do to him? Would it cause him to get another weakness? Make him even easier to defeat now that his mind had a… deformity?

“Doctor, what exactly are the side effects on Xanax?” Gerard asked, careful to keep his eyes under the level of terrifying.

“Well, the most common side effects people tend to have are: light drowsiness and sometimes minimal amnesia,” the doctor was smart enough not to look Gerard in the eyes. He looked at the tribal design on Gerard’s shirt instead.

“And the… uncommon side effects?” Gerard asked. He was not a common person, so it seemed necessary to ask about the unusual.

The doctor pressed his mouth into a hard line, as if he was aggravated to be asked such trivial questions, “sleeping disorders, blurred vision, slurred speech, disorientation, nausea, vivid dreams and even in extremely rare cases, personality changes.

Maybe you could benefit from that, though. The doctor thought. He had heard from the nurse who had taken Gerard’s information that he had something up with his stance… as if he was posed, ready to attack. And that he should avoid looking into Gerard’s eyes, as they would pull him in with powerful suction and you just… knew that all hope was lost.

Yet, despite all the warning that doctor had received, he had a strange desire to look into Gerard’s eyes, marked there on the chart as hazel. There was nothing too threatening about his posture, just the faint feeling that this young, troubled man was like a beast in repose.

“Right. Thank you doctor. Could you do me the favor of sending the nurse in again?” Gerard asked politely. He was indeed troubled… in more ways than he thought. The personality change the doctor had mentioned- that struck something in Gerard. He didn’t want to change; to give up what he had grown accustomed to.

“Uh, what would you’re reason be for that?” The doctor stumbled over his words. He finally dared take a look in Gerard’s eyes and found them as dangerous as the nurse had sworn.

“She was simply very nice, and I think I would like to thank her,” Gerard replied, cranking the charisma up.

“Yes. Of course. Have a nice day,” the doctor left the room.

The nurse, dressed in pale pink scrubs, appeared back in the room. Her long legs and beautiful form were appealing to even Gerard, a man who was very hard to please. Her silky black hair was piled precariously in a bun that stated all the casual tones of beauty. Her dark skin was clear and seemed softer than velvet, just by looking at it. But the eyes… Gerard just wanted to drown himself in the icy-blue depths. When someone had told him about the power of his eyes, he longed to know what that meant. Gerard was sure that it was similar to gazing into hers.

“Yes, Mr. Way?” She kept the conversation formal, undoubtedly to keep Gerard safely away.

“I’m sorry for dragging you back in here, but I never did catch your name,” Gerard purred. He didn’t know if this nurse was going to be cooperative, but he used the charming manipulation just in case.

“Katmandu Vale (A/N: pronounced VAL-AY),” she replied curtly.

“Katmandu Vale? As in Kathmandu Valley?” Gerard smiled relaxedly. He was trying to get the message to this intriguing girl that he would not hurt her. Well, not intentionally.

“Yes. My grandfather was born there. He missed it so much that his dying wish was for me to named after it. Naturally, my mother, who is also from Kathmandu, named me that,” she seemed stunned that she revealed so much to a person she barely knew. She closed her mouth tightly and looked at her hands.

“It's alright. I’m not going to hurt you,” Gerard was oddly stung by the fact that she feared him. He pushed all the allure out of his voice and spoke in a pained whisper.

Katmandu, Kat she preferred to be called, looked up at Gerard. Her eyes traveled up and down his appealing body and settled on his eyebrows. She would not make the blunder of looking into the inhumanity of his eyes. His raw voice was very human though… She finally looked into the hazel-ness, right down to the core. What she saw completely derailed her.

There was a vulnerability, stronger than any other she had ever seen. His eyes reflected the fear and cowardly actions he covered up with exploitation and wrongful deeds. Underneath all the trepidation and depression, Kat saw kindness. She saw what Gerard could become if everyone did not shy away from his unnatural ability. Kat felt a deep pity build up in her body and she released it by enveloping Gerard in a hug.

It wasn’t a shy hug, or a hug filled with hesitations. It was real. Gerard, after pausing in pure surprise, hugged her back. This was the first time someone had not flinched back from him or grown stiff when he was this close to someone. Well, except for Mikey, but that’s his brother.

Gerard hugged Kat back, a true feeling of ease seeping through his limbs.