Blood and Fur

Chapter 3

“Run,” he said before he dropped to his knees and onto his side. Behind him was a man, holding a now bloodied dagger.

Continued

“Devian, no.”I said as I let out air I had been holding in. I picked up my arm and started shooting at the figure until I had not silver bullets left.

The black figure then stepped out of the shadows and I saw who it was. “Darius.” I said in disbelief.

His hair had grown out and was now lying on his shoulders. He had a variety of little scars on his face that refused to fully heal. He looked almost the same from when I last saw him, but yet he was different. He looked like he had aged; he looked more rugged and thick. Almost like the Furs in their human form.

“My dear little Nicole. How you have grown since I last saw you. How long has it been, a year, correct? You seem surprised. Why?” he started to walk forward while I walked back to try to get to Elizabeth’s unconscious body. I looked down at his shirt. There was no blood, no trace of him being hurt at all. “What exactly did Augustine say about me?”

I got to Elizabeth’s body and crouched to check her injuries. I rolled her on her back and found that she was still breathing, but her bruised face was healing slowly.

“Did you hear me? What did that bastard of a man say about me?!” he yelled, changing his demeanor from curiosity to enraged in a matter of seconds.

“Don’t you dare talk about my father like that, you traitor!”

“Oh, so now he is your father? I was once his son, do I not count?” he then began to circle us.

“No. You betrayed us. You don’t count; at least, not anymore. You are just an insufficient, joke of a Runner, good for nothing boy, who just so happens to be moderately good with a knife. You have no father, you have no mother, you have no sisters, and you most definitely have no Clan.” I stood up, feeling power in my words, hoping they would crush his ego.

He did not flinch; he just stopped walking and glared at me. “But that is where you are wrong Nicole. I do have Clan. They are the Furs you saw on the other side of this building, the ones slowly eating the flesh off the royal guards. Their muscles are probably a little bit chewy, but that’s just the way they like their meat.”

There was an earth shattering howl and then silence again.

“Your exaggerations don’t frighten me.” I said trying to calmly recover from the howl while baring my fangs and feeling my eyes get lighter in color. “You are just a pitiful fool who feels sorry for himself. But I have no pity or sorrow for you.”

“Oh, no, that’s fine. But your parents will feel sorrow and pity. Of course, if they survive to find their precious son working with the Furs, their self sacrificing daughter dead, and prized other, missing.” He said toying with his dagger in his hand. He wiped the Devian’s blood on his shirt and moved it so that it sparkled in the moonlight.

“And how do you plan on doing that? Giving me a sob story and boring me to death about how you became a leader of the Furs?”

“No. By doing this.” He gently tossed the dagger into the air, catching it by the blade and throwing it at me. As it got closer I felt my heartbeat beat irregularly and then skip. I knew something was wrong with the blade. I tried to move myself out of its direction, but I hesitated too long.

I screamed as it pierced my shoulder just below my collar bone. It felt as if all around it there were tiny spikes, puncturing themselves wherever and then continuing to do so, growing until it began to cover my whole shoulder and still growing. I landed on my back clutching the dagger. I didn’t see the blade, all I saw was the hilt, confirming that it had hooked itself in my skin and would have to be ripped out. The pain was getting stronger by the second and I couldn’t suppress a scream of pain.

“Yes,” he laughed as he strode toward Elizabeth and crouched between myself and her. “Scream all you like, it will only get worse. I suppose you have Devian here to thank. Apparently, when I pierced his heart, his blood washed away most of the Holy Water that I had soaked the blade in. It isn’t enough to immediately kill you, but it will in a matter of minutes, or hours.”

I felt myself getting weaker as I lost blood. My eyes began to roll back as I felt myself getting colder. “No, don’t die yet. I want you to see me walk away with Elizabeth.” He said this giving me a twisted smile. I tried to keep my eyes open, to see which direction they would go.

But I couldn’t. All I saw was Darius scoop Elizabeth up, - her head hanging over his arm- walk into the woods, and then they disappeared into the darkness and I lost consciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
i hope you enjoyed !
<3