Status: Hiatus

Witness

021

*No POV*

Moonlight attempted to force it’s ways through the grime on the cracked window of the abandoned warehouse. The only evidence from outside that the room was being occupied was the light emitting from the single naked bulb, hanging from the fixture in the ceiling, but that didn’t matter. It was three O’clock in the morning. No-one even came to the old industrial building during the day, why would they come at night?

The only reason that one can think of…is if they have important business to attend to.

Take for example, the stout man in the corner of the room. His fancy pin-stripe suit has been ironed to perfection and his shiny, black designer shoes a sign of power and wealth. This man…had important business to attend to.

He looked to his left where a much larger man was standing. This man was built like a mountain, he must have reached seven foot tall…no-one dared guess his weight. What it boiled down to…was he was a large man. Very intimidating. Not someone you’d want to cross, even if he did have the IQ of an eleven year old. This man had no real business of his own to attend to; except for the fact that his boss – the stout man – had business to attend to…and any business of his bosses, was business of his.

These were not the only two men in the room. There was a third, but this man was nothing threatening. Especially since he was just tied pitifully to a chair, his hands bound behind the back, his feet tied to the wooden legs of the chair. He was gagged, and had a blindfold over his eyes. If one listened close enough, you could hear clearly enough the small whimpers being released from the back of his throat in anticipation.

“You have something you need to tell me,” the stout man finally started. The man tied down jumped slightly, having not realized that he was no longer alone in the room.

The gag was ripped away from his mouth, and instantly he coughed and chocked and spluttered. After nearly a day of that thing being in his mouth, and having to perfect the art of breathing solely through his nose, the sudden rush of air came as quite a shock.

“So, are you going to make it easy for yourself and tell me what I want to know…or are you going to make it difficult and keep quiet?”

The man stared at the darkness of his blindfold and shuddered. He recognized the deep Italian accent, and he knew he was in trouble.

“It was you I sent to the Thomas house three nights ago?” the Italian asked.

The blindfolded man saw this as an opportunity, and shook his head. The Italian smirked, moving over to the man and ripping the blindfold off.

The prisoner gasped at the sudden light source. The bulb was so dim, days…maybe hours from finally dying, but it’s amazing what just a day of complete black can do to your already sensitive eyes.

“Bugiardo*,”the man hissed out.

The man chocked out a whimper as he looked into the black eyes of the stout man in the pin stripe suit. He knew he was in for it.

“Don’t be afraid. I just have a question to ask, is all. Is that okay?” The prisoner nodded slowly, shaking too much to talk properly. “When I sent you to that house…you killed the boy, right? I wasn't sure…because you never reported back to me like I asked you too,” The prisoner took another opportunity to get away without so much as a bruise and nodded quickly. “So he’s dead?”

The man nodded again, feeling glee flow through him when the Italian smiled. He thought he was going to be okay after all!

But the problem was…the Italian smiled so rarely, that it became hard to decipher what his smiles meant...and this one...it wasn’t good.

“So...if he’s dead...why is it that I went over to the house the day after you were supposed to have killed him...to condone his poor mother on both of her losses-” a good alibi, that. “Only to have the door opened by some estate agents, keen to sell the house on?

"Was Mrs Iero so upset with the losses that she just packed her bags up and left without a trace?...I think not. Especially since the estate agents had no recollection of the previous owners!” His voice had risen. He was furious.

In all fairness, the man tied to the chair was not at all to blame; he would have killed the boy had he been in the house, but he just wasn’t. No-one was, there wasn’t even a stick of furniture. When he’d realised he couldn’t carry out his task, of course he’d run a mile...he knew that this sort of thing would happen as a consequence.

The Italian looked at the bulking man behind him, and smiled. “You know what to do,” And with that he left the room, listening to his prisoners cries of pain.

The fact that he had not killed the boy, or had not come to him as soon as possible to tell him that the boy had disappeared meant that he was now very behind schedule.

But now that he did know...he had men out all over the state, venturing further into the whole of the country searching down that one boy, all armed with photographs and secret identities to lure the boy...because the Italian knew...he just knew that the witness protection had been involved in this somehow.
♠ ♠ ♠
* Italian for Liar, so I believe.

So, how about it. A new chapter! This is for real guys!
I'm so sorry I kind of disappeared.
I had like..9043753 chapters written for this, but I hated what this story was so close to becoming, so I deleted them all and started over...and boom, I'm back on track :D

So, this chapter is something totally new, and you're getting a taster of some new characters. Remember these people, they'll be important ;D

Comments would be amazing!