Drowning Lessons

From The Lights To The Pavement

Gerard's P.O.V.

As soon as Frankie got out of the hospital, he ditched the wheelchair.

"I don't need it!" he said childishly.

"Frank, PLEASE, you'll heal faster. Please, sweetie? Do it for me?" I asked softly.

"Gerard, I think I've done quite enough for you today," he said tonelessly. His expression was unreadable.

I didn't respond. We drove home silently.

When we got to my house, we walked to the door and into the living room. Mikey was in there, watching Teen Titans.

"Wow, Mikes," said Frank.

"SHHT! GOOD PART! WAIT FOR COMMERCIAL!" he commanded.

"Let's go upstairs, doll," Frank said to me.

"That sounds great," I said, relieved that he didn't seem to be bitter about taking a few punches for this relationship.

Hand in hand, we slowly walked upstairs to my room and shut the door.

"God, I'm so tired.." I said.

"I know, sweetie. You've had a lot to think about. A lot to worry about. Don't worry though, no harm will come to you," Frank said soothingly.

"But harm has already come to you, to hell with me, you've been hurt. Badly. And he can't get away with it," I said, getting upset.

"Shh, yes, yes he can. And he will. It's over. Everything's done with, they'll leave us alone now. They got their licks and now they're contented. We just won't do anything else to stir their homophobic rage," said Frank with a small laugh.

"But Jesus, Frank, it's MY fault they hurt you! If I hadn't been there for them to threaten you with, you could have fought back and actually gotten out of there in one piece! But you didn't, because you care about me, and I'm not worth it, and--"

Before I could say anything else, Frankie walked up to me swiftly, and in one simple motion, took me and crushed me against his chest. He buried his face in my neck and said forcefully,

"God damnit, Gerard! I don't care! It's not your fault they hurt me, if I wanted to fight back I would have! Yes, part of it was because I didn't want you to get hurt, but me and the boys would have defended you with our LIVES if you had actually been in any danger! I could have fought back! I want it to be over with, damnit! I want to just be accepted! And don't you ever say you're not worth it. I would give my life for you, and don't you ever think any different! You are worth it. You are mine, do you hear me? Mine!" By the moistness on my neck, I knew he'd begun to cry.

I hugged him tightly, trying not to press on his injuries, and told him not to cry. Things would be fine, and I didn't mean what I said...

"I'm sorry," I whispered, "I'm sorry for making you feel this way. I know you're right... and I am yours. Always and forever."

"Don't ever, ever forget that, Gerard. I love you more than life itself," said Frank, wiping his tears away.

"And I love you, Frank. With all my heart," I replied, "come on, it's been a hard day. Let's get some rest."

He thought it was a great idea.

We walked over to the bed, and with the utmost tenderness and care, I slipped his shirt over his head so he could sleep comfortably. I slipped his black jeans off as well. There was nothing sexual about this. I felt the need to take care of him, and something told me it was going to be hard for him to get comfortable. I had to make it easier on my sweetheart.

He climbed into bed and patted the spot next to him. I took the invitation and slipped my shirt and pants off. I climbed in with nothing but my red silk boxers.

He wrapped his arms around me and I kissed his forehead. We smiled and snuggled closer to each other. I buried my head in his chest and wrapped an arm around his waist.

We fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.

Frank's P.O.V.

I woke up to a very uncomfortable clammy, stinging feeling on my face.

I tried to sit up.

AH! SHIT! PAIN!

I reached my hand up to my pillow to see what the hell was going on, and realized immediately.

I must have popped a stitch or something.

I bled over one side of the pillow.

And now I was stuck.

God damnit!

What the hell do I do now? I don't want to wake Gerard up to help me. He'd cry his eyes out.

Hmm...

It appears my face has scabbed to the cotton pillowcase.

Whatever shall I do now.

I must take drastic measures.

I saw Mikey walk past Gee's room to the bathroom. I guess someone came in or out of the room while we were sleeping, and the door had been left open.

I picked up a pen and whipped it through the door. It didn't hit Mikey but skimmed the air in front of his face. It was comical really. If it had been a shruiken it would have been even better.

More dangerous, but better.

He crept into the room.

"What the hell do you want?" he joked.

His smile melted away as he saw what I had called him in for.

"What the helll?" he said, his voice climbing higher.

"Keep your voice down, I need you to take this pillowcase off me without making me bleed again," I said.

"Well what do you want ME to do??"

"I don't know yet. I'm thinking we cut around the face area, and then just soak the rest in water so it just comes off my face."

"Wow. A genius plan," was the sarcastic reply.

"Just do it!" I said.

He went and got the scissors, and cut away the pillowcase as close to the source of blood as possible.

We then crept quietly to the bathroom and put my face in the tub. He turned the hot water on and I shrieked.

"God damnit, Mikey!! WARM WATER! WAAARRRMM!!!" I could feel tears pricking my eyes as the cut stung worse than ever, "you owe me a bag of Skittles after this."

"Sorry, sorry. Hey, I thought we weaned you off the Skittles?" he replied.

"Shhhhh."

We finally got the pillowcase piece off my face without drawing anymore blood.

"Thanks, MIkes," I said, "so now what? I lost my stitch, or my tape, or somethin."

"Well, first of all, I'd suggest going to get the blood soaked pillow off Gee's bed," he replied.

"I would, too," said a third voice.

We turned around and saw a figure in the doorway.

Holding the bloody pillow by a corner, looking very upset and worried.

Gerard.

Don't worry, baby.