Drowning Lessons

If This Is What You Want...

Frankie’s P.O.V.

“Jesus, Frank, you look like roadkill. Didja fall down the stairs?” Bob joked.

We all looked very uncomfortable. We laughed nervously and looked at each other. Bob’s smile faded.

“Frankie, what happened?” he asked, seriously.

“It’s no big deal, Bob. Just had a little run in with a few guys,” I said, trying to keep him from flipping.

“Frank, who the hell was it? A few? There was more than one? You’d better tell me, Frank. I’ll fucking kill them.”

“Bob, please, it’s done with, we just want to stay out of trouble. Killing them won’t do any good,” said Gerard, beginning to get desperate.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me! Look at what they did to Frankie! You’re telling me you’re just going to sit back and take this shit???” said Bob, his voice rising.

“No, Bob, we’re not kidding. Yes, we know what they did to me, and it makes us just as angry as you! We are going to sit back and take it because we don`t want it to happen again! They threatened Gerard, Bob! And I would never be able to forgive myself if he got hurt!` I nearly screamed, tears coming to my eyes.

“To hell with that! If they even try and touch any one of us ever again, I will fucking kill them!“ Bob yelled.

“Bob, come on. You`re being irrational. Frankie could have fought back, and he decided not to. It was his own choice, and it`s done with now. Sure, if they do something else, we`ll unleash the fucking bats on them, but until then...“ Ray trailed off.

There was a murmur of agreement from Mikey and Gerard. Bob looked at all of us, still seething inside, and walked out without a backward glance.

“He`ll calm down. He`s just angry, and its understandable. His best friend`s face just got turned into spaghetti bolognaise,“ Mikey said, smiling comfortingly and putting his arm around Gerard`s shoulder.

“I know... but I don`t know what he`ll do until then,`` I said.

"What do you mean by that?" asked Gerard.

I smiled and shook my head. Putting my arm around his shoulder, I said, "Nothing. Don't worry babe. I think... I think I'm going to go look for him."

"Do you want any of us to come with you?" Mikey asked.

"No. No, I'll be fine. We'll be back."

Did I just say I'd go and look for Bob? While he's at his peak of anger?

Just how upset was I?

Oh well. He was my friend. I was sure he wouldn't hurt me. Badly.

No, I'm being stupid. Bob wouldn't hurt anyone he loves, no matter how livid he was.

I decided to search for him first in the one place I knew he'd be.

Jolly Jared's World of Electronics.

And I was right. He was standing there at the till, with a large black box containing God knows what. I waited until he was done purchasing his item, and met him outside the store. He didn't look angry anymore, but he was deep in thought, so he didn't see me right away.

"Bob? Bob, you okay?" I asked tentatively.

He looked up. His expression was blank. He walked the other way, towards his car.

I followed him.

"Bob, it's okay to be angry. There's just a certain limit to where you can take your anger. We want this to remain as peaceful as possible, and we promise you can do whatever you want if they threaten us again. We just don't want any unnecessary violence anymore."

I held my breath. He stopped walking and lowered his head slightly.

"If you want to hit me for being stupid, then you go right ahead," I said, with a light laugh.

He put his bag down slowly. He turned and walked over to me, his face still expressionless....

Or was it? What was that that I saw hidden deep in his eyes...

Desperation? Fear? Both?

Why?

His stride towards me quickened. I braced myself for a punch, a slap upside the head, anything...

I never got it.

He threw his arms around me in a hug and crushed my head against his chest.

"Frankie... I'm not mad... I'm just so god damned worried... After seeing you like this... And the fact that Gerard could end up the same way.. or worse... you guys are.... you guys are the only real family I have... I love you all so damn much... If I can't protect you... What good can I do? I'm sorry I let this happen," he said desperately. It was hard to tell at first, but by the end of his sentence, I realized he was crying softly.

"Hey.. Bob... stop... you don't have to feel like that... don't ever feel like you failed me. We all love you, and we don't want you to get hurt. How could you have known? You weren't there.. it wasn't your fault..." I said fiercely, throwing my arms around him.

"I promise I won't go after them... I didn't know that they had threatened you further... if I'd known... if I'd known..."

"I know, Bob. I know. It's okay."

And by the tone of my voice, and the feeling in my heart, I knew I was right.