Drowning Lessons

I've Proven Myself To You, So We'll Keep It Runnin

Gerard's P.O.V.

I kept my eyes on the clerk the entire way back to the car. I didn't say a word to Frankie, just threw the gun on the dash, got behind the wheel and slowly and calmly started the car and drove away. I couldn't look at him. I was scared there would be that same hideous look of fear of me that there had been when I killed Rick.

"Gerard..." he began. I braced myself.

"You... are absolutely..." crazy? I thought. But that was not what I heard.

"Amazing!" he finished. I turned to face him, incredulous.

He looked like he'd just had the biggest thrill of his life, and he was grinning fit to split.

"Frankie, what are you talking about?" I asked, a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"You were so great back there! There's no way that guy will call the cops now! You scared the shit out of him!

He had a point. We were safe once again, and this time it was my doing, not Frankie's. I was finally holding up my end.

"He might, you never know."

"No, Gerard. We're safe. You did it. Now shut up and kiss me."

I had to laugh at the guy. Here I'd become this horrid vicious monster and he still wanted to kiss me.

What the hell do we do now, though? We have money, we have food, we have gas. Where do we go?

"Do we know where we are?" I asked, as I realized that the scenery around us was unfamiliar to me.

There was no response.

I took that as a no.

“Just drive until we hit something. There’s gotta be a town nearby; there wouldn’t be a store sitting in the middle of nowhere,” suggested Frankie.

I was just about to agree when something caught my eye.

Something in the rearview mirror. I adjusted it, and sure enough, there were lights behind us.

Blue and red ones.

Fuuuuuck.

"Oh, shit, Frankie!" I said, hitting the steering wheel.

I sped up to about 90 and took a sharp left down a gravel road.

Luckily, there was only one car, so there would only be 4 officers at best in it.

They were catching up to my rattling little shitbox, so I sped up to 110, which was all it would allow.

They fell behind a little bit, but not much. There were some woods alongside this road, and as soon as I saw them, I started looking around for the perfect spot...

"Gerard, this is insane!!! Just stop and explain to them! Please! We're going to get hurt!" screamed Frankie.

At this I merely gave a maniacal grin.

"Of course we're going to get hurt. This wouldn't be any fun if there wasn't any danger of being killed."

Wait for it.... Waait fooor iiit... Yes! I found my spot and swung the car to the left. We bumped down a grassy area and smashed into a tree.

The police car whizzed by.

"This is getting surprisingly easy," I said with a grin at Frankie.

He was panting, and he looked up at me with his dark eyes, wide with fright.

"You're fuckin nuts, Gee. Anything could happen to us. They could have shot us and killed us. They could have arrested us. They could have done anything. You're starting to scare the shit out of me. But I have never. Been more turned on. In my life," he finished with a growl as he lunged at me and kissed me, hard and fast.

It took me by surprise, but I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him onto my lap. He ran his fingers through my hair, and I pushed my tongue into his mouth.

We were like that for about 10 minutes when our senses finally came back to us.

"What do we do now? We can't drive. The car doesn't run so well with a tree in the engine," I said dismally.

Frankie's spirit refused to be dampened.

"Don't worry. I'm sure we're pretty close to a town or something, and if not, we'll hitch."

He was brilliant.