Juvy

Payback

The next morning I felt like something was different. I looked around and saw no one. The cells were completely empty. I saw the blonde guard walk down my hall and peered into my cell.

"You know you really gotta make a habit of waking up earlier." he grumbled. He took out a ring with several keys on it. Slowly he opened my cell. What was he doing? I thought.

"Since you're new I'll tell you some stuff." the officer started. I leaned in closer. "A couple times a week we let you kids outside on the basketball court. You can socialize, shoot hoops, whatnot we don't care. Just don't beat anybody up to badly." he laughed and let me out holding my arm.

He opened a large steel door with a creek, morning sunlight streamed into the building blinding me for a moment. When my eyes got adjusted to the light, I saw the other kids shooting hoops and talking to each other.

The officer let me go and walked back into the building. The area was fenced. Chain-linked with barbed wire over the top. There were two basketball courts and a volleyball net. I saw a white tub where kids were getting balls, rackets and anything else they wanted. I scanned the area and I finally saw who I was looking for... Taylor.

My fists clenched and I began walking over to him. I noticed he was talking to Dylan and some other people I didn't know. I pushed a chubby kid out of my way and finally approached his little huddle.

I pushed a little opening through the people and I gave him a huge smack across the face. An array of gasps came from the people he was talking to. I stood there completely aggravated. He turned back to me and I noticed a small bruise like mark on his face.

He looked angry but I seemed to out-anger him on that meter.

"You lookin' for trouble kid?" He sneered.

"I could ask you the same question." I said glaring at him.

"look kid, I can't hurt a girl, but I can crush her in the inside. So if I were you I'd walk away right now." Right now!" The pointed away.

"No." I answered crossing my arms.

"Excuse me, I... I... I didn't hear that." Taylor said leaning in to me and cupping his hand around his ear.

"No." I repeated. "Since you don't know the rules around me I'll lay them straight. #1, Don't tell me I can't do something. #2 Don't assume you're better then me. And #3 Oh you'll love this one, Don't Ever baby me!"

He was backing away because I was getting rather close.I just stood there looking furiously into his confused eyes.

"Okay." he began. "Since I now know the basics," he gestured bending his pointer and middle fingers and glancing back at his friends. "I'll cut you some slack. So, you have my word as a gentleman." He whispered into my ear.

My arms were still crossed as I began to walk away, backwards, so I could see if he was faking or really meaning it. I then turned around toward the tub with play equipment.

Now all I needed to know is what he was doing with that stick he was carving???