Forever and Always

o1.

The melodic sounds of Jack's Mannequin could barely be heard over the beating rain as it smacked onto the roof of Joanna's car.

She knew tonight was probably a bad idea, but she had to see Jack, she had to tell him the thoughts that had been plaguing her for over four years.

Joanna Murray was sick of playing 'The Best Friend'. She was sick of helping Jack prepare for dates with girls that weren't her. She was sick of comforting him after those dates went wrong.

In fact, Joanna Murray was sick of being in love with Jack Barakat.

Joanna walked confidently into the grimy venue, ignoring the steely glares and dirty looks she received from teenage girls as she smiled at Matt and waved to Nano. Instead of forcing her way toward the barrier like she usually would, Joanna eased herself into a barstool and ordered a bottle of water, unscrewing the cap and taking periodic sips from it as the support acts played.

"Why hello there, all you pretty little people!" Joanna couldn't stop the smile that forced its way onto her lips as Alex stepped up to the microphone. "We're a small band called All Time Low, and this song is called Coffee Shop Soundtrack!"

Joanna sang along to every word, her foot didn't miss a beat, and she slowly began to enjoy herself. Joanna became lost in the music, and in her mind it was just her, sitting on the couch in Alex's garage, watching the guys play song after song for her, waiting for her approval. Each song flooded over her, and left her with the warm, fuzzy feeling she always got as she listened to All Time Low play.
She stayed there until their set finished, and cold hard reality set in. Joanna was transported back to the grubby venue, and she found herself on a hard, uncomfortable bar stool with an empty water bottle in front of her, stuck to the wood with the aid of some dried beer. Joanna slid from her bar stool, sent a small nod in the bartender's direction before slowly pushing her svelte frame through the hoards of teenage girls, each eager to get a glimpse of the four teenage boys they most likely idolised.

"Wait your turn, you stupid bitch," Joanna blinked at the fifteen-year-old girl who had just spoken to her, before shaking her head and pushing her way through the throng. Finally, she reached the security, sweaty and panting. Joanna pulled out the backstage pass she had safely tucked away in the front pocket of her jeans and handed it to the guard, who, after carefully checking it was legitimate three times, finally granted her backstage access.

Zack noticed Joanna first and slowly made his way over to her after stopping twice to sign autographs and pose for pictures.

"Hey, Jojo," he smiled, wrapping his muscular arms around Joanna's frame.

"Hey, Zack," she mumbled, her arms stuck between their torsos, restricting her from moving them at all.

"Don't be too hard on him, please," Zack begged her, as if he knew what Joanna was here for, releasing her from his grip to stare deep into her eyes. "He's changed, Jo, he really has. He's barely drinking or partying. Nothing. He's not the same without you."

"That's not my problem, Zack," Joanna replied despondently, before leaving to find Jack. She found him sitting in a corner of the room, glaring at anyone who came within three foot of the area. Seeing him sat there, alone and morose, nearly made Joanna forget what she was about to do. She wanted to pull him into a tight hug and whisper comforting words in his ear before dragging him off to join the rest of his band mates in a party. However, Joanna had a mission to do. She had to tell Jack what she really thought of him. What she'd always thought of him.

"Hey, Jack," Joanna whispered, sitting next to her best friend. He immediately turned and pulled her into a tight hug.

"Joanna! I'm so glad you made it! I didn't think you were here, I missed you at the front," he whispered, slowly rubbing his thumb up and down the inside of her elbow. Joanna shivered and pulled away, leaving Jack staring at her with a hurt expression on his face.

"You know I'd never miss a show, Jack," she smiled, "I promised you that when you guys first started."

"Yeah. Yeah, you did. Just like I promised we'd be friends forever," he grinned and Joanna's smile faltered slightly.

"Jack, I need to talk to you. Away from here. Someplace quieter," Jack nodded and led Joanna out of the packed backstage area into the parking lot, where the rain was pouring down harder than ever.

"What did you want to talk about? I'm all ears," Jack smiled and Joanna took a deep breath in before starting.

"Jack, for the past four years, I have been completely and utterly, irresponsibly in love with you. I never meant for it to happen, and I'm telling you this today because I am sick of you being so blind and not noticing it! I helped you prepare for every single date, and I was there when every single one of those girls got rid of you for someone new! So here's the truth, you were right all along, Jack. We will always be friends forever, but I wish we could be so much more than that!" Joanna was glad it was pouring with rain, it was a better disguise for her tears.

"You didn't have to quote Armor For Sleep to tell me that," he smiled, reaching out to pull Joanna into a tight hug.

"No! No, Jack! Don't touch me! I don't want your sympathy! I came here to tell you I loved you, and I've done that. I know you don't love me, Jack. I know you don't," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

"That's where you're wrong, Joanna. I do love you. I will love you, forever and always," and after those words, the unthinkable happened. Jack swooped down and carefully captured Joanna's lips with his own. There they stood, in the rain, kissing.

It was the moment she had been waiting for ever since she got to know Jack.

And Joanna couldn't have imagined it to be more perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
How twee. =]