Floods

o1.

I stared outside my bedroom window, watching as the rain relentlessly descend down as it had continually for the past three months. Everywhere in the country was suffering, even the places that had previously had little to no rain. Scientists had predicted the entire United States of America would be submerged within a week. Some blamed global warming, others blamed their sins. My family, along with many others, had resorted to religion. They believed that their endless prayers would stop the floods. I thought they were becoming delusional from being housebound.
My thoughts drifted toward Evan. I needed to say goodbye to him; especially if we were about to disappear under the sea. Without a second thought, I grabbed my boots and waterproof clothing and pulled it over my body. I ventured down the stairs as quietly as I possibly could and headed toward the front door. My hand had just touched the handle when my father came to inspect why I was so near to the door.

"Louisa, get away from that door! You are not leaving this house!" he barked, grabbing my arm and roughly tugging me back. I wrenched myself from his tight grip and aimed for the door again.

"I need to say goodbye to Evan! I can't just leave him!" I exclaimed, screaming in protest as I was literally picked up and thrown into the living room. My landing didn't disturb my mother who had been incessantly chanting her prayers for at least a week.

"Louisa, you're talking like he's alive! Evan is dead! Dead, not alive, gone, passed over, pushing daisies! All he is now is a box in the ground!" my anger flared at his words. Even if Evan was gone, he didn't deserve the disrespect that flowed out of my father's mouth.

"Don't talk about him like that! Evan was my best friend!" I screeched, my voice at a far higher pitch due to my hysterics.

"Well, maybe you'll be seeing him soon, you unfaithful wench! You'll be the one who dies, not us! No, God will take mercy on us, the ones faithful to him!" my father preached, and with those words, clarity hit me faster than a ten-tonne truck.

"Is that your way of saying you want me dead? Is it, daddy? Because if it is, I'll just make it easier for you," my words obviously stunned him, and I used his dumbfounded state to my advantage and scrambled to the door, quickly throwing it open and diving into the water. I allowed the current to drift me toward the cemetery, and with the aid of some trees, bobbed over to where Evan lay.

"Hey, Ev," I smiled, fighting against the water to stay in front of his stone.
"They say we'll all be gone within a week. If they're right, that means I'll get to see you again. I can't wait, Evan. I miss you. I miss you way too much. All I want is to feel you hugging me, protecting me throughout all of this. It's weird Evan. Too weird. When the rain falls, like it is now, I can't help but feeling scared for my life. Should I be scared for it? I get this feeling that I'm being selfish if I do, because you never had the chance to," by this time, it was getting tougher to fight against the strong current, and I was close to giving up. The rain was nearing my neck, and within another five minutes would be well over my head. I quickly gathered enough breath and spoke my last words to Evan, until we finally met again in the afterlife.

"I still love you, Evan. I swear, I always will." I finally succumbed to the water's pulls, and allowed myself to be dragged to my death. I slowly disappeared under the water, never to be seen again. My head collided with a tree; the collision became the cause of my death.
I slowly made my way from the grey, toward the brilliant white light where I saw a smiling Evan waiting for me, his hand held out for me to grab.

"You always did do the stupid thing," he smiled, pulling me into a tight hug, "but now, now you're home and dry. Safe, with me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Last one shot to be added back =]