Why is loving him so hard?

Brave

Kelly’s Pov

Seriously, why do I have to have the worst life ever. I mean, it’s bad enough that I have to see Tommy’s face all the time, but going on a date with him. Tonight! That piece of--

“Kelly, so, any plans tonight?” Claire asked me, interrupting my thoughts.

Ok, weird. Why would she ask that today, out of all days?

“Claire, seriously, do I ever do anything at night,” I said, smiling.

I looked over at Sidney, and sure enough she had her head down. I knew she’d been crying earlier. Ever since this morning, first period. I kept shooting death stares at Rick, to make him feel guilty. He, however, couldn’t look happier. All through class, the guys were all whispering to him and pointing at poor Sidney, then they’d all start cracking up. It was horrible, because Sidney knew they’d all been laughing at her. I felt so bad, but I couldn’t do anything, could I? I reached over and patted Sidney’s arm.

“Sid, it’s ok. Everyone makes mistakes,” I said, leaning over.

Sidney looked up for one second, turned around and put her head right back down. I followed where her gaze had been, and sure enough, she’d seen Tommy’s Crew walking in. Rick even had the nerve to stare where we’d been sitting. I turned my head away immediately.

“Sidney, please,” Claire sighed. “ Pick your head up. You can’t let Rick see you like this. You can’t let him know that he’s won. Make him think that he has no affect on you,”

Sidney mumbled something, then shut up. Claire looked over at me and mouthed “help”. Help? How? What was I going to do?

“Alright, listen up Sidney. All you gotta do is tell me what you want and I’ll do it,” I said, my voice strained. “ If you want, I’ll even go over there and confront Rick for you,”

For the first time all day, Sidney looked up and smiled.

“Really? Would you really do that for me?” Sidney asked, her eyes watering.

How could I say no?

“Of c-course I would. What a-are friends for,” I stammered.

I looked over to where Tommy and his boys were sitting. His table was packed. The cheerleaders, the jocks, and of course Tommy’s Crew. I gulped. Could I do what I was about to do?

Sidney noticed the strain in my voice. She lowered her eyes.

“Kelly, if you don’t want to do this, please don’t.” Sidney whispered. I wouldn’t want you to get into any trouble because of me,”

“No, I’ll do it,” I reassured her, getting up.

Here goes nothing. I picked up my legs, and walked, which felt like a mile to Tommy’s table. Tommy’s eyes lit up when he saw me. Some of the jocks nudged each other and snickered. I realized I had quite a reputation at this school already. Apparently, I was known as “The Mysterious Girl”. Yup, I’m not even playing. People called me that because they always heard stories about how I was always hanging with Tommy’s crew, then pissing them off and ending up alive. People obviously thought that was something big. It was as if I was Jessica Simpson or something, walking over to their table, because the whole table fell silent. Seriously, they did.

“What’s up?” Tommy said, followed by a bunch of “Heys” or “Damn Girl” and whatever other obnoxious things guys say to girls.

The cheerleaders on the other hand, all stared at me like I was Michael Jackson or something. They all immediately started whispering. I was so nervous I didn’t know what to say. Was I supposed to say hey or just start yelling at Rick?

“Hey, Tommy,” I said. “Actually, though, I’m here to talk to Rick,”

Rick’s ears perked up when he heard this. He looked at me quizzically.

“Pardon me,” He snickered.

Come on, did I really say anything funny? For some reason, Rick’s little statement made everyone laugh. Yeah, real funny.

“You heard me,” I growled, aggravated. “Who the hell do you think you are?”

Rick’s expression went from amused to angry in less then a second.

“What?!” Rick shouted. “What’s your damn problem?!”

The whole cafeteria shut up after hearing Rick yell.

“Oh no, I’m not the one with the problem here, it’s you!” I hissed, stabbing my finger at him.

This time, Rick got so angry, he got up from the table. Rick stood up and he walked right up to me with a scowl on his face. As if this wasn’t surprising enough, the most shocking part was that I didn’t even hear one slick remark from Tommy’s crew or anyone as a matter fact. They were all quiet. Silent like a bunch of deaf people. What Rick said next crushed me.

“Kelly, first you come here starting shit with my brother, and now you’re messing with me. Do you go around seeking for trouble or something, because you know I can make you cry with the words that can come out of my mouth,” Rick sneered. “But I’m not that cruel. I’ll save you the misery and humiliation. Oh, but wait, I almost forgot. Tommy did that already,”

That brought on a round of snickers and bickers. Rick’s figure loomed over me. I had to look up to meet his eyes. I used all the strength I had to control myself. If I cried right now, it would be social suicide and I would have to transfer to a different high school.

“Rick, you know what I’m talking about!” I yelled, not backing down one bit.

Surprisingly, Rick burst out laughing.

“What, you mean sleeping with Sidney,” Rick laughed. “Yeah, we fucked. So what? She was just a booty call,”

I gasped because I was so shocked. That was harsh. Really harsh. Since when had Rick become so cruel? He was being more of a jerk then Tommy.

“Damn You! You inconsiderate asshole!” I yelled right into his face.

I think at that precise moment, if we weren’t at school, Rick would have probably strangled me.

“Kelly! Why don’t you just take your damn ass back to Florida!” Rick screamed in my face right back. “Just leave and don’t come back,”

“You know what, I’m going to end this discussion now, but I want to assure you one thing.” I growled, “I am not going anywhere. So, until the day you graduate, you are going to see my face in this school every single god damn day. And that, I can promise you. So either you stick around here or you leave if you don’t want me here,”

I didn’t even stick around for Rick’s reaction. Instead, I strolled right out of there, as happy as Sidney looked when I looked back at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments!! :D