Like Broken Glass

Like Broken Glass

Like Broken Glass: Part One
By getupngo

For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me


***********************
Jenna sat at the Little Tykes table with Mark’s 4 year old daughter, Ella, watching her draw a picture of her family. She was telling Jenna about each thing she was drawing and she was only nodding in response, her mind thinking about what she was going to do over the next two months while her boyfriend was away filming his new movie with Mark. She was bored but she loved spending time with this little girl, she never allowed for a dull moment. Jenna was startled out of her thoughts when the doorbell rang…

Donnie knocked on the door, expecting his brother Mark to be there, but was surprised when a beautiful young brunette answered instead. The house was quiet for the most part, which was unusual as far as Donnie was aware, Ella was a spark and never stopped moving. Jenna was stunned to open the large front door to see one of her first celebrity crushes at her door, even knowing it was Mark’s brother and some day this was bound to happen. She just stared at him, until he shifted from his left foot to his right under her gaze,

“Hey…is my brother here?” He asked, removing his sunglasses and looking at her strangely. Donnie couldn’t lie; she was one of the prettiest girls he had seen in a really long time- since the first time he met his wife, actually. Jenna couldn’t speak, words were sort of hard to come by when faced with something she could only think up in puppy love when she was a toddler, and so, she shook her head. Donnie nodded in response; it was kind of a rhetorical question anyway. She stood still, looking at him without thinking anything but how much better looking he was in person, she felt a sudden urge to tell him about that embarrassing time she dressed as a New Kid fan and went to see Saw II in her costume, but instead cleared her throat and tried to regain composure.

“Do you want to come in,” she asked, stepping aside. He nodded again and walked inside the foyer.

“And where is my beautiful niece?” he called into the house. Not a moment later did the adorable Ella, with her blonde hair bouncing around her sweet little face, come up to Donnie as he leaned down to hug her. “Hey girl, what have you been up to today?” She giggled and ran away; presumably to get the picture she was drawing with Jenna before he came to the door.

“We’ve been drawing,” she said as Donnie turned back around to face her.

“So I guess you’re the babysitter,” he said smiling, coming to the most obvious conclusion. Jenna nodded. “I’m Donnie,” he said reaching out his hand for her. She smiled and grabbed his hand, feeling a little faint.

“Jenna,” she replied letting go as Ella came back holding out a paper with adorable scribbles all over it.

“Whatcha got there?” Donnie asked taking the paper from her. “Very pretty, Elle, who’s in the picture?” he knelt down again as she leaned over and pointed,

“Daddy, Mommy and the baby,” she said.

“Very nice,” he replied handing the picture back to her as she grinned before running away again.

“I just stopped by to talk to Mark; I didn’t think he was leaving until next week.”

“No, he and Garrett left yesterday really early. They’ll be gone for…awhile,” she replied, her mind drifting to the distance this movie was putting on her relationship.

“Sorry, who’s Garrett?” Jenna blushed, and laughed. Donnie couldn’t help but smile as she did, he felt certain lightness come over him as she grinned and ran her delicate fingers through her hair. He admired her manicured nails and the deep red highlights in her hair. She was barefoot, her toenails painted a pale pink and she had a pair of grey snug fitting sweatpants with a plain white t-shirt on underneath a lightweight black hoodie. Donnie had a fleeting thought of tossing her on the couch and letting her rake her nice nails across his back as he kissed her, but snapped out of it as she began talking.

“Sorry, he’s playing Mark’s brother in the movie; they flew up to Canada together. He’s my boyfriend, as well.” Donnie nodded turning around and walking the same path Ella had. Jenna shrugged and followed behind him to the den in the back of the house where it was a little girl’s dreamland. They both sat down at the Little Tykes table with her as she continued to toss crayons and colored pencils around, contently drawing.

“Is this your first time having him go on location?” Donnie asked. Jenna nodded as Ella handed her a blank piece of paper and a red pencil. She also handed Uncle Donnie paper and a blue pencil much to his amusement.

“She is just like her father, pushy and tactless,” Donnie joked. Jenna smiled as she began to draw her name in bubble letters, slyly trying to check him out. She had only known Donnie now for all of five minutes but she could tell she already liked him. It appeared to her that the whole Wahlberg family was probably likable for the most part. He was dressed how Mark would be on a day off, t-shirt and jeans with some nice, expensive shoes to match.
Silence settled over the table as everyone continued to draw, even though the drawing for Donnie and Jenna was in haste because neither of them knew what they should say to the other. Donnie wanted to tell her how beautiful he thought she was, but he didn’t want to come off like that so soon, he’d just met her. Jenna wanted to tell him about how excited she was because she was sitting here with the first guy she had ever found attractive before she even knew what attraction was.

“So, how old are you?” Donnie needed to break the tension; he couldn’t sit there comfortably anymore.

“I’m 19. Trying to figure out what to do next with my life,” she replied. He nodded. He remembered suddenly being 19 and realizing that he wasn’t a pop star anymore and needed to do something, so why not act? He had been doing that since he joined the New Kids anyway.

“What do you like to do?”

“Write. I like to write. Fiction mostly. The life in my head is far more entertaining than the one I’m living,” she replied. Donnie laughed.

“Ain’t that the truth, Elle?” he said. She looked at him and shrugged before turning her attention back to her paper. “Yeah, she knows what’s up.” Jenna laughed, it was nice having someone else around for a little bit, someone who wasn’t four. “How often do you babysit?”

“Um…if Reha calls me, I’m here. I’m trying to do anything I can while Garrett is in Canada, I feel so bored all the time, because I don’t have anyone to hang out with now that he’s gone.” Donnie nodded, he felt weird saying to her ‘well, I know I’m twenty years older than you, but I would totally hang out with you anytime.’ It just didn’t seem like something she’d be interested in anyway. He put his colored pencil down and leaned over kissing Ella on her head.

“I’m going to get going. Jenna, it was nice to meet you. Maybe I’ll bring my kids around sometime and they can have a play date and we can hang out again.” Much better, he thought, the kids are a perfect excuse to see her again.

“I’d like that…I’m sure we’d all like that, right Ella?” She nodded a little, still concentrating. “Do you want my number or something, just so you know when I’ll be here?” Jenna felt herself blush a little bit, feeling like maybe that was the wrong route to go, and she didn’t want him to think she had any other intentions then just bringing the kids together, even though she honestly did.

“Sure,” he replied, handing her his phone. She typed in her number as he stood. “See you later, Elle,” he picked her up and hugged her as she squirmed out of his grip and ran to the front door. Jenna followed Ella and Donnie behind her. “Well, again, it was nice meeting you Jenna. Hope I’ll see you again soon.” She nodded

“Me too. Say bye, Elle.”

“Bye Uncle Donnie!” She called reaching up to hold Jenna’s hand as he walked out the door. He waved and walked to his car. He fidgeted with his hat, not sure what exactly he was thinking about. Well he knew exactly what he was thinking about, but he wasn’t sure exactly why. Sure she was a beautiful, lonely, vulnerable 19 year old girl and he felt that it would be kind of easy to take advantage of her but he didn’t really want to do that. Not really. He had been growing increasingly bored with his home life and was looking for a little excitement to his days…

It took three weeks before Donnie gave Jenna a call to see when she’d be watching Ella alone again. She was surprised that he ever called actually, thinking he was just being nice that day. Donnie showed up with his youngest son, a three year old boy named Elijah. They were too cute and Jenna was excited to let Ella have someone her own age to play with for a change of pace. Donnie reached forward and gave her a squeeze.

“It’s good to see you again, Jenna. This should be…fun,” he said as his son Elijah tackled Ella. Jenna laughed; this was definitely going to be interesting if nothing else…

****************
If all our life is but a dream
Fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea